Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

V upset 1 of 2 of us downgraded from First on Wedd Ann Trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

V upset 1 of 2 of us downgraded from First on Wedd Ann Trip

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
I have to say if that happened to me and Mrs Our_Kid I would be seriously unimpressed. I am glad for the OP that the issue was resolved but let's face it what a load of hassle that both the OP and her partner don't need. I hope they kept the Ł500.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by dylanks
FWIW, Delta is notorious for downgrading long haul award seat passengers at the last minute without much recourse except when they fly from Europe.

I think the way to prevent the abuse of accepting a last minute fare and bumping the cheapest passenger is to change the regulation to be 75% of the most expensive fare paid by any passenger in that cabin on that flight ( and there should be no mechanism by which the airline can try to prorate the cost such that it's not disproportionately applied to other segments). That way it costs the airline the same regardless of who they downgrade. Also, downgrades should be limited to one cabin only. There needs to be a very strong incentive to not downgrade passengers who have committed money to the airline up to a year in advance, to prevent the airline from changing what they offer at the last minute. And a full refund and canceling of a trip is not sufficient because airfares change drastically near the departure date. Anyway, nothing new here, just ranting, and glad to see that they took care of WelshGirl after putting her through some unnecessary stress.
I would be hoping to be downgraded daily! If you are on a cheapo avios flight and someone on a 10K fare getting 7 back would be ridiculous. It would stop overbooking completely.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
In more than ten years of flying BA F I have never suffered a downgrade and only know of one person who was downgraded from F to J. It was due to oversales on LHR-MEX.

It was a paid ticket and he was BA Gold - but because somebody else had paid for the ticket (and he frankly didn't care about the downgrade anyway), he was happy with the Ł500 card BA gave him.

The fact that he totally forgot about the cash card and found it about a year later after it had expired (I think it was only valid for 6 months from date of issue) is another story
Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by our_kid
I have to say if that happened to me and Mrs Our_Kid I would be seriously unimpressed. I am glad for the OP that the issue was resolved but let's face it what a load of hassle that both the OP and her partner don't need. I hope they kept the Ł500.

This happened to me in 2009 on a CW trip to Cape town. It caused a great deal of aggravation and spoiled the outward trip. Like the OP the downgrade was reversed at the gate.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:40 am

I am glad this was all sorted out in the end, but sorry that it got the Anniversary trip off to a poor start.

British Airways can, and often does, oversell in any cabin. (Those with Gold or Premier cards, what do you think it means when we say we can guarantee you space on any flight? What do you think we're going to do when we have a full flight and your secretary asks to make a First Class booking for you? We will go over by one, and hope someone changes their booking. drops out altogether or no-shows!)

To be fair to the unseen office wallahs known as "Rev Man", they do know what they are doing and very rarely get it wrong. The oversales actually yield a heck of a lot of extra revenue for the airline which should keep the Flyertalk shareholders happy!

Much as I hate it, the moral of the story seems to be to make sure you OLCI!
Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:46 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bealine
Much as I hate it, the moral of the story seems to be to make sure you OLCI!
Yes, and it's good that WelshGirl posted this incident here. I wouldn't have even realised that a passenger with a First ticket could be downgraded to CW if they hadn't checked in online in good time. As ever, useful information here.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: DIAMANTAIRE EXTRAORDINAIRE
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
To the OP: sorry to hear about this, hope you get a the refund you're entitled too, plus something to sweeten the deal (write a calm and factual letter to BA in a couple of weeks' time when you've mostly got over this...)

Not wishing to sound unduly negative, but this isn't exactly breaking news, is it?
" A CALM FACTUAL LETTER" won't help.

I wass flying lhr-hkg paid CW . Somebody nicked my pillow , the cabin crew told me they were out of pillows. the response to the letter took more than a month & was copy paste letter with no reference to the incident.

I called the customer service all she said was sorry no avios or anything else !!

with ba it can be hit-or-miss . you have a good flight or bad flight !!

but its still has a better product than the luthansa group !!
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: AA, onePass
Re: Checking In Online and In Good Time

As someone who also has a special occasion 'once in a lifetime' trip booked this whole discussion of OLCI has me a lot concerned.

We flew in September from US to LHR on an AA award tic in FC on BA. We COULD NOT do OLCI as our first segment was on AA connecting to BA. AA could not check us in for the BA flight nor issue boarding passes since the tics were 001 not 125.

We had to wait til we arrived at EWR and then for the BA ticket counter to open 3 hours prior to departure before we were able to receive our boarding passes.

Reading this....I feel like we dodged a bullet.

That said.....we now have BA LHR-IAH return tickets on another AA award in FC.

This flight is a connecting flight for us (seperate PNR) from another BA flight arriving from JNB on BA....we have 7 hours between these flights. OLCI window for the LHR-IAH flight opens when we are flying from CPT-JNB. We do have several hours prior to depart JNB.

Question: can/will JNB BA staff check us in and issue BP for the LHR-IAH flight since this one will also have been issued as an 001 e-ticket? Or do we also run the risk of being downgraded due to not doing OLCI.

And - what exactly does 'In Good Time for Check-In' mean....how many hours are we talking about if one is unable to do OLCI?????
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yes, but these were award tickets and I suspect that EU261 compensation is a percentage of the fare paid for the downgraded sector.
Not necessarily. I know a guy that took LH to court and almost got his claim through (they settled at about 75% of the full EU compensation as my friend's legal coverage from his insurance was running out he took the offer).

This was regarding a redemption flight where only one leg was downgraded.

A pity he didn't take it so far that there is a case to fully rely on.

Either way, escalate as far as possible up the chain, and I would try to get re-routed in F if that is possible (compensation should still be paid though!).
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by nalismom
Reading this....I feel like we dodged a bullet.

[snip]
Question: can/will JNB BA staff check us in and issue BP for the LHR-IAH flight since this one will also have been issued as an 001 e-ticket? Or do we also run the risk of being downgraded due to not doing OLCI.
I don't think you dodged a bullet at all, it happens so rarely, always the danger when looking at an anecdote like this (which actually, was also resolved in the end). And OLCI isn't a completed salvation either. But I would hope the JNB staff can check you all the way through, obviously do your best to ensure both BA and AA's PNRs have your API data and what not in their databases. Particularly your status. Who knows, OLCI may just work, and in any case the staff at JNB will be probably better equipped to through check you than quite a few other locations.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: BAEC silver
If you look at the Formula One calendar and the number of people who follow the circuit there will be serious spend on J & F travel. Whilst harsh on the OP downgrading a McLaren sponsor (for example) could cost BA serious longterm revenues.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: AA, onePass
" do your best to ensure both BA and AA's PNRs have your API data and what not in their databases. Particularly your status. Who knows, OLCI may just work, and in any case the staff at JNB will be probably better equipped to through check you than quite a few other locations."

Thank you C-W-S.... This is another issue: on the LHR-IAH seg.... Passenger details in MMB is red stating more details needed...however all of our API is there and correct when I view to edit. Called CS and they confirm they have all necessary info.

Is this going to be a problem in the future? My other 3 bookings all are good in MMB with identical info.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by nalismom
Thank you C-W-S.... This is another issue: on the LHR-IAH seg.... Passenger details in MMB is red stating more details needed...however all of our API is there and correct when I view to edit. Called CS and they confirm they have all necessary info.

Is this going to be a problem in the future? My other 3 bookings all are good in MMB with identical info.
I seem to recall this glitch happening occasionally in the past. I don't know for certain but if the Service Centre says it looks ok at their end then I'm inclined to trust them, so I think you you will be OK there. They have been playing with BA.com a lot recently, so adding a few new bugs perhaps, and we have to remember that BA.com is just the front end - the core data is on GDS which is what the Service Centre will be seeing.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards
Dear All
Have safely arrived in the hotel in Abu Dhabi.
Both of us sat in first though not together.
The crew were lovely and I am glad we both got to experience First.
I am not sure why the original change was reversed, perhaps a combination of my tears and my husband asking if BA was racist against Welsh people ...
It was a shame that we wasted time at the check in instead of in the lounge and it was not handled well.
I will ALWAYS check in online on any redemption flight now.
I am not sure whether I will follow this up or whether just to let things go.
Anyway all set for a lovely holiday.
Thanks for all the support and kind wishes.
If there are updates promise to post
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:50 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by bealine
British Airways can, and often does, oversell in any cabin. (Those with Gold or Premier cards, what do you think it means when we say we can guarantee you space on any flight?
Is this correct? I don't recall it being a benefit when I was a Gold...

Surely this would happen a lot more often if any Tom, Dick or Harry could book a last minute flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.