Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

T3 international -> T5 domestic connection question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T3 international -> T5 domestic connection question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: BA Silver
An amazing graphic, thanks KARFA!

I have a 110 min connection T5 (int)----T3 (int) I should have fast track as I am travelling in J on both segments. Providing my inbound is on time, I should be OK to make this connection? (YYC-LHR-BUD). The listed MCT for this connection is 90 minutes!
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by DavidYYC
An amazing graphic, thanks KARFA!

I have a 110 min connection T5 (int)----T3 (int) I should have fast track as I am travelling in J on both segments. Providing my inbound is on time, I should be OK to make this connection? (YYC-LHR-BUD). The listed MCT for this connection is 90 minutes!
quite similar to my upcoming trip DUB LHR JFK - T3 with AA - I have 120 mins.

I have in the past exited and made it to the T3 lounge (and smoke) in an hour.... but then I had three and half hours to do it, so no stress.

But this time with 120 mins, I am also going to do flight connections - for the first time! Scarey!!
Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:24 am

SO when you arrive, you go down the escalators to catch the bus (or indeed follow C-W-S advice from another thread about going to the elevator and catching the bus from a secret location - tho, I cannot for the life of me find that thread now - maybe I was dreaming!).

When the bus drops you off at T3 for T5 T3 INT INT connection, there is FAST TRACK that connecting passengers can use and as per previous advice it is nearly always open.

But is it any good? Just wondered if there is a separate security screening for connections or they just dump you with everyone else in a general security line / general Fast Track - I have never seen a line airside joining the general security line ?

Just want to be super efficient so I get some time in the flounge (aka alcohol time) - which I personally think is great in the mornings no one in there normally!
Thanks!

Last edited by crazyarmadillo; Nov 23, 2014 at 7:35 am
Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
SO when you arrive, you go down the escalators to catch the bus (or indeed follow C-W-S advice from another thread about going to the elevator and catching the bus from a secret location - tho, I cannot for the life of me find that thread now - maybe I was dreaming!).

When the bus drops you off at T3 for INT INT connection, there is FAST TRACK that connecting passengers can use and as per previous advice it is nearly always open.

But is it any good? Just wondered if there is a separate security screening for connections or they just dump you with everyone else in a general security line / general Fast Track - I have never seen a line airside joining the general security line ?

Just want to be super efficient so I get some time in the flounge (aka alcohol time) - which I personally think is great in the mornings no one ne there normally!
Thanks!
The routes T5 to T3 would be:

1. Stay airside and down the escalators to the bus for your tour of LHR and eventual arrival at T3 connections, you can fast track if you have access or the normal track if you don't. You don't use the general security area in T3 and there is a seperate security area. My few experiences using T3 fast track have been fine.

2. Go landside on arriving at T5 preferably using the e-passport gates, then get either the tube or HEX to T123 and go through security at T3 to get airside. For the tube you would need an oyster card or contactless credit card but there is no charge.

To be honest route 1 is fine, but with most things it is alwasys nice to know an alternative route just in case.

Last edited by KARFA; Nov 23, 2014 at 7:53 am
Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Take the airside bus route unless you have good reason not to.

99% of the time, it's fine.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:50 am

Just to show you when you get to T3, after you exit security this is where you enter the departures area from the top right. General security is bottom right. BA, CX, and AA lounges are F, H, and C respectively on the diagram.

Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
The routes T5 to T3 would be:

1. Stay airside and down the escalators to the bus for your tour of LHR and eventual arrival at T3 connections, you can fast track if you have access or the normal track if you don't. You don't use the general security area in T3 and there is a seperate security area. My few experiences using T£ fast track have been fine.

2. Go landside on arriving at T5 preferably using the e-passport gates, then get either the tube or HEX to T123 and go through security at T£to get airside. For the tube you would need an oyster card or contactless credit card but there is no charge.

To be honest route 1 is fine, but with most things it is alwasys nice to know an alternative route just in case.
^ Great thanks! Normally we have always exited but this time only (!) have 2 hours connection, hence staying airside - good for my lungs anyway!

Good that there is separate security as well at T3 airside - very helpful!
Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:52 am

Just to show you when you get to T3, after you exit security this is where you enter the departures area from the top right. General security is bottom right. BA, CX, and AA lounges are F, H, and C respectively on the diagram.

perfect - I did take a look at the maps on the LHR website a couple days ago and they didn't shed any light, so thanks for the map as well!
Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
Take the airside bus route unless you have good reason not to.

99% of the time, it's fine.
thanks! I will report back in a few weeks on my 'first connections experience '
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
(or indeed follow C-W-S advice from another thread about going to the elevator and catching the bus from a secret location - tho, I cannot for the life of me find that thread now - maybe I was dreaming!).
That sounds like a reference to the direct bus from T5B to T3 (and the other terminals). You will find that in this forum's Dashboard, but here is the direct link:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...s-service.html

If you arrive in T5A then it's easy to just follow the signs. T5B there is a sheep mentality so people don't spot the bus connection from there, though it is actually well signposted. T5C - well there are no bus services from there, probably on balance best to take the transit to T5A and then the bus from there, you could get off at T5B or use the passageway to T5B and then get the bus from there instead of T5A, but it's in the wash really.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That sounds like a reference to the direct bus from T5B to T3 (and the other terminals). You will find that in this forum's Dashboard, but here is the direct link:
Haha, I knew I wasn't dreaming, tho mistaken!

Now I have all possible scenarios covered for my upcoming trip - I will probably land into T5A --- ((OT) ex-DUB - via JFK LAX to LAS - I love the transcon - like a private jet with 10 lieflats in a narrowbody ! - tho was very bumpy last time (saying the least!) a month back when flying into JFK.)

Thanks again for your assistance - appreciated!
Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

If you arrive in T5A then it's easy to just follow the signs. T5B there is a sheep mentality so people don't spot the bus connection from there, though it is actually well signposted. T5C - well there are no bus services from there, probably on balance best to take the transit to T5A and then the bus from there, you could get off at T5B or use the passageway to T5B and then get the bus from there instead of T5A, but it's in the wash really.
Almost happened to me - I was walking with the crowd but then I thought I had noticed a bus sign and yes, direct "flight" to T3!
Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I have had a go at version 4 now and incorporated the changes noted by cws as well as a few other minor amendments. Hopefully we are there now or very close.
Thanks for all the work that's gone into this.

I don't want to add unnecessary extra work, but would it be an idea to add schematics to the left hand side for DUB arrivals, particularly with the different signposted routes for DUB-INT and DUB-DOM (together with the option, for anyone who has a passport on them, to do DUB-DOM via the INT route)?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Thanks for all the work that's gone into this.

I don't want to add unnecessary extra work, but would it be an idea to add schematics to the left hand side for DUB arrivals, particularly with the different signposted routes for DUB-INT and DUB-DOM (together with the option, for anyone who has a passport on them, to do DUB-DOM via the INT route)?
God, I was hoping no one was going to ask that one! I must admit apart from the comments and photos posted on the DUB moving to T5 thread I haven't seen any of the new DUB arrivals route. I am open to adding it, but at least with the diagram so far I have been through it many times so am familiar with the layout. I haven't got any T5 connections for over a month now. I might shcedule a quick trip to DUB so I can come back and have a look. Once I know what it is like I think I would be able to add it.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
Hi all,

Mrs. Andyandy and I have our first BA flight coming up so I've never had to navigate T5 and I'm already feeling a bit lost.

DFW-LHR (First) then onward to FRA in CE. We are arriving into T5 and depart from the same. Looking at KARFA's excellent diagram it appears that we'd follow the INT/INT connections flow through the fast track BP check and up to North Security. Right?

Also, I read that the CCR entrance was just beyond security. Is that correct? I have a feeling some champers may be in order given the reports I've been reading about security delays. Thanks!

Andyandy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.