Sparkling in WT?

Old Nov 12, 2014, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Sparkling in WT?

On my outbound LHR-DXB on Friday my companion and I asked for some sparking wine and were given the two mini bottles that are carried in one of the WT trolleys.

Today on my return DXB-LHR I was told that they have stopped offering even these two bottles in WT. Now only available in WT+.

The person serving me even checked with a senior member of staff.

So has this really changed in four days or is one of the crew I had not following policy?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
There was a ridiculously small amount of sparkling wine carried in WT but it's due to be enhanced away so perhaps it has been now.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 7:08 am

Yes, the sparkling wine has been 'enhanced' away as BA says there are not that much demand for sparkling wine in WT.

Not sure when is the start date, so it could be that the crew who gave you the sparkling did not remember the exact starting date.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
As there are no separate bars for WT plus the two sparkling wines in each of the 4 travellers bars are meant to be for plus customers only.
We have been told that they have been removed for WT customers to save money as we strive to make a huge profit this year, same way with the CW flowers.
These cuts will be revalued at the end of the year so if you miss these " enhancements" you need to complain.
To answer you question, I'm guessing the crewmember outbound didn't want to disapoint you which I can understand but it does make it more difficult for those who follow the service standard.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Didn't they used to have sparkling wine available for purchase in WT?

CW flowers? Were you supposed to have been scattering flowers in my path for all these years?????

Or is it the sad little chrysanths in the bathroom that have been enhanced?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Can I help you
To answer you question, I'm guessing the crewmember outbound didn't want to disapoint you which I can understand but it does make it more difficult for those who follow the service standard.
I suppose this is the daily battle that cabin crew have to make...trying to be nice then causes other problems.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We did have champagne for purchased but that was enhanced a couple of years ago.
I do feel for the people in our catering and product departments as they really do there best but are being squeezed like a lemon and they are now down to the pith.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by headingwest
I suppose this is the daily battle that cabin crew have to make...trying to be nice then causes other problems.
I always say to my crew in briefing that it is how you treat someone they remember not what you give them which seemed to be true when we offered a fairly decent product but now we do not even do this it's an up hill challenge.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: british airways, delta, virgin
flying WT earlier this year, we asked for Sparkling wine and got told its not available but once the other cabins had meals served if any were left we could have them - the steward stuck to his word and returned with 2 bottles. Dunno is that allowed behaviour but was nice, he also came over to offer us the last gins when the bar was running dry! Maybe he liked us.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Silver
We have been told that they have been removed for WT customers to save money as we strive to make a huge profit this year, same way with the CW flowers.
It does seem a very sorry state of affairs where the bean counters think that enhancing a couple of bottle of sparkling and flowers is a good thing. How much money does this really save, are there no customer service types who put our side of the argument in the meetings where these things are decided ? I thought profits were up, the share price certainly is.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: BA GOLD, Tufty Club, Virgin Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, ICH Platinum Ambassador. MAS Gold
I do feel for the people in our catering and product departments as they really do there best but are being squeezed like a lemon and they are now down to the pith.
Seems to me the accountants really are takng the pith! Out of the passengers!
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
As there are no separate bars for WT plus the two sparkling wines in each of the 4 travellers bars are meant to be for plus customers only.
These cuts will be revalued at the end of the year so if you miss these " enhancements" you need to complain.
Does that mean it is gone for WT+ as well?

I remember seeing that sparking wine was (newly) available for a pre-departure beverage earlier this year in WT+.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonours, SPG, AVIS
Sparkling in WT?

There was 1 warm bottle on my WT+ from CPT last week, I took it & shared with Mrs E2S

The crew returned later with 2 glasses of Tat from CW & congratulated us on our special anniversary
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, there are 2 in each of the WT bars and should only be offered to customer in plus.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: ABBA
I don't bother (in WTP) any more as they've usually run out for the refil.

However lets assume there's 8 bottles on the plane. Let's also assume they cost £3 more each than a bottle of white. BA have managed to save £24 over 240 seats, that's 10p/passenger. Let the good times roll! Glad I'm paying £2k return withthat kind of penny pinching. What next - hand baggage only fares? Cram another 6 seats worth at most £400 on to a short haul flight (and worthless on most flights)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.