Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How to seek permission to add days to membership year to gain qualifying tier points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to seek permission to add days to membership year to gain qualifying tier points

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2014, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver; Marriott Gold; Accor Platinum

Hi

As title suggests, I'd like to get permission to extend by membership year in order to meet the tier point threshold.

I'm 35 tier points off of 600 to maintain silver and an outbound flight to NYC 3 days after my end date will do the trick.

I'd really like the rtn flight to not be included and be counted into the new membership year.

So, who must I write/speak to and do you think I can request the 3 days required to include the outbound only?

Thanks
Seville
Old Nov 5, 2014, 3:59 pm

Phone BAEC and request an extension - it's pretty straightforward.

That said, as far as I know it's the full two weeks or nothing. I've not heard of people managing to get a shorter extension, but maybe others know better...
Old Nov 5, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SAA Voyager
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Phone BAEC and request an extension - it's pretty straightforward.

That said, as far as I know it's the full two weeks or nothing. I've not heard of people managing to get a shorter extension, but maybe others know better...
My experience is that you get nowhere over the phone. Both times I've had extensions have been when I have put the request in writing by emailing the exec club (thinking back, I think once I physically wrote a letter and they emailed me in response). I simply asked for the days I needed it to be extended by, and both times they extended it by a generic two weeks.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 1:13 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
I had this happen about 5 years ago, the inbound was after my membership year ended, and I wanted the inbound to be included with the outbound, so as to keep my silver card, BAEC were fine, they extended the allowance for the 2 weeks allowed, and by the time everything got organised the new membership year had gone from March to June, which was even better still.^
Old Nov 6, 2014, 1:29 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Originally Posted by LondonCapeTownAnyday
My experience is that you get nowhere over the phone. Both times I've had extensions have been when I have put the request in writing by emailing the exec club (thinking back, I think once I physically wrote a letter and they emailed me in response). I simply asked for the days I needed it to be extended by, and both times they extended it by a generic two weeks.
I've done it over the phone twice - the last time being two weeks ago.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 2:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Sounds like if you don't want the tier points for the return to be included you might be best off keeping your current year and doing a quick return to AMS or JER etc !

cs
Old Nov 6, 2014, 2:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Sounds like if you don't want the tier points for the return to be included you might be best off keeping your current year and doing a quick return to AMS or JER etc !

cs
Any idea if they'lll stretch to 3 weeks. I have an outbound flight that's within the 2 week extension, but need the TP from the inbound (3 weeks after my membership year) to make Gold. It's a long haul CW flight, so perhaps they'll recognise the revenue....or maybe they'll just apply the rules and i'll remain at silver.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 2:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by Adstring
Any idea if they'lll stretch to 3 weeks. I have an outbound flight that's within the 2 week extension, but need the TP from the inbound (3 weeks after my membership year) to make Gold. It's a long haul CW flight, so perhaps they'll recognise the revenue....or maybe they'll just apply the rules and i'll remain at silver.
Only ever heard of two weeks but iv never tried.

Any chance you could do a little tier point run ?

cs
Old Nov 6, 2014, 3:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Only ever heard of two weeks but iv never tried.

Any chance you could do a little tier point run ?

cs
Doubtful unfortunately. The flight I have booked that departs 2 weeks (and 1day) after my membership year ends (and returns 3 weeks after) earns 320 TPs. That's quite a bit to do on a TP run.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
From my reading of the first post here

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ship-year.html

Is that it is a two weeks 'extension' or nothing.

Nicci wrote ' can offer a two week ...' (my bolding).

She did not say 'up to two weeks' which is why I read it as all or nothing.

I think the OP needs to make the choice of if it is better to have all the TPs from this trip in this current year (the one due to end) or in the next membership year.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver; Marriott Gold; Accor Platinum
Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to respond - very informative - as ever.

Cheers
Seville
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Adstring
I can't say that I remember anyone reporting an extension of more than two weeks. As noted by cornishsimon, our former BA Executive Club representative said that two weeks was the maximum.

To the OP, I would just call after flying the outbound and request its inclusion. If approved at that point you will be promoted and it is possible for the inbound to post in the new year. In the past, people have called after flying the appropriate flights and been promoted without having to wait until the end of the two week period.
See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...extension.html

At least one person has reported that the two week extension applied to all flights occurring in that two week period and all had to posted to the old year:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22879584-post10.html
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:40 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 1:44 am
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by angatol
Don't know if this will work. How about removing your BAEC# from the inbound flight and retro-claiming a couple of weeks later?
Someone mentioned in a similar post a couple of days ago that the retro points will be added to the new year and then removed sometime later in a clean-up. So no, it probably won't work.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:07 am

If it's the case I'm thinking of, this is a different situation - the difference is slight but could be significant. The previous case didn't involve an extension.

There's a chance that when the points are credited a few weeks later, the system may not notice there was an extension in place. Could be worth a shot - worst case the points get wiped which would have happened anyway, so nothing to lose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.