Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Fast Track Boarding Arrangements @ DUB - CE / Gold / Emerald Only

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2014, 12:37 am
Suspended

I was just refuse to queue and board anyways
Old Nov 5, 2014, 5:03 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by nshizuka25
I still remember this July, I was boarding at NRT on a JAL's flight to Frankfurt.

Boarding agents asked passengers eligible for FT to start queuing (while letting families with kids, disables...to board first), then agents started to stamp BP , screen out chancers.

Interestingly they then send some other people to the front to form a third queue(I assumed they are F paxs and OWEs), boarding starts for the third queue, once finished, other FT paxs started to board, then ordinary pax are invited to join the queue. It was as smooth as it can be.^

JAL allows all status paxs (including JGC, and Crystal which is OWR) to have FT on international flights, so there are always a lot of people eligible for FT, but I have never experience any dissatisfaction at boarding over my 4 long haul flights with JAL. Compared to BA at T5 it has always been a mess....no matter long-haul or short-haul
BA handle the fast track boarding extremely well in Japan, both at NRT and HND (BA have their own staff at NRT although HND is handled by JL if I remember correctly). No stamps are used as far as I can remember but it is fully policed and those not entitled are firmly but extremely politely asked to join another line. Priority baggage is respected on BA arrival at NRT and HND, and they also police the check-in queues properly also.

I suspect it's more to do with "Japan" than JAL though, because my experience with ANA has been the same as JAL (and BA in Japan).

JL tend to divide priority boarding into subgroups for domestic, e.g. for Emerald and First, followed by Sapphire etc. It works very well.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia

I suspect it's more to do with "Japan" than JAL though, because my experience with ANA has been the same as JAL (and BA in Japan).

Indeed, everything works better in Japan. Normally you don't even have to take your own luggage off the belt at NRT, an army of elderly (but extremely fit) men remove it and lay it out beside the belt separated by F / yellow tag, CW / orange tag and non-priority.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 5:17 am

Programs: GGLfL
Originally Posted by paulwuk
When was your most recent flight that this happened on?

In my experience its the people staring at their boarding passes every 3 rows, and who seem surprised that things like bags can't stay on seats that cause the delays
The ones with BPs for row 17, who stop at the first row to examine the seat numbers, then move back a row to do the same thing again....
Old Nov 5, 2014, 5:44 am

Programs: MUCCI

HKG in my experience tends to be slick with people politely directed to the correct line.....

FD.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 5:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (thanks to BOB), UA, Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles, Amex BAPP & Platinum
Lucky I just upgraded my flight next week, then.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 6:23 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
AA/US is the oneworld practice to follow. ^

I've just done half a dozen domestic F sectors within the USofA. Each time I know I want to get to the Gate at t-35.
Each time, within a couple of minutes a clear announcement invites First passengers and OWE to board. Typically 10 or so would step forward and we'd be down the jetway pronto.
As soon as the last of that group is lined up, a further announcement invites OWS and co.
As so on.

It worked seemlessly every time, both on AA and US. Everyone stood back until their group's call (which is also stated on the Boarding Pass).

So ... if the BA experiment at DUB is a pre-curser to this I'm all for it
Old Nov 7, 2014, 1:55 am

Programs: BA, TK, EK
DUB very busy this morning... Interesting that the gate used for LCY services had a banner showing fast track for Gold only, whereas the LHR gate had an older standard banner inviting Silvers and Bronzes.

Good policing of the fast track queue for boarding, but check in queues were a bit chaotic, more desks would have been useful.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 5:28 am

Programs: BA Bronze, A3*G, TK*S
Originally Posted by littlefish
It worked seemlessly every time, both on AA and US. Everyone stood back until their group's call (which is also stated on the Boarding Pass).
United, before their merger with Continental, used to* print a large boarding group number on their boarding passes. First/business/Star Golds could board at any time (and were called forward explicitly at the start of boarding), then Silvers were group 1, with the rest of the groups arranged by whatever order they used to fill the aircraft. It seemed to work quite well.

Could BA not do something similar? Make First/Club/Gold, etc, group 1, Silver group 2, Bronze group 3, and then subdivide the rest into further groups. Then instead of having massive queues you would just wait** for your group to be called and board then.

* Possibly they still do now, I've not flown the "new" United.

** In an ideal world, of course. In practice, I'm sure the concept would prove too difficult for some!
Old Nov 7, 2014, 7:42 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by orudge
United, before their merger with Continental, used to* print a large boarding group number on their boarding passes. First/business/Star Golds could board at any time (and were called forward explicitly at the start of boarding), then Silvers were group 1, with the rest of the groups arranged by whatever order they used to fill the aircraft. It seemed to work quite well.

* Possibly they still do now, I've not flown the "new" United.
UA still do, as do US (well, they did a few months ago, anyway). UA's system is particularly good because they now tensa-barrier queues off and sign them, so there's no crowding around the gate. Bearing in mind gates at many US airports have no more room around them than at T5, this should be something BA should be able to manage.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 8:35 am
Formerly known as ahoban

Programs: BA Silver, Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus
Originally Posted by father_ted
Good policing of the fast track queue for boarding, but check in queues were a bit chaotic, more desks would have been useful.
Always find it policed very well in Pier B.. Staff usually walk down the line and check BP's, kicking out anyone who shouldn't be there. Pier A is a different story all together, just a huge crowd of people standing around talking to other, trying to determine if they should attempt to board or not.

I'm hoping they don't now restrict priority boarding to Golds & CE.. Looking at silver shortly and will be increasing my trips into LHR to 2-3 times per month. Most of which I plan on making in ET. Will be happily jumping back to EI if they start "enhancing" benefits.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 8:47 am
Suspended

Programs: BA, Singapore
After all the scrums I have had in Singapore to board BA F it was refreshing on CAthay yesterday that they had 2 queues and the entire priority queue went first using both sides, then the economy queue went after.

I do have to smile though at Singapore' queuing wher they advertise their PPS frequent flyers, business and first in one queue and the other has economy and star alliance gold. Presumably star alliance silver have to board last???
Old Nov 7, 2014, 9:30 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Janeobarty
After all the scrums I have had in Singapore to board BA F it was refreshing on CAthay yesterday that they had 2 queues and the entire priority queue went first using both sides, then the economy queue went after.
BA Singapore is normally pretty good. Because of the gate security, it's a bit mixed up once you're through security, but they police the fast track queue for security properly, and when they start boarding (after pre-boarding) they normally call First first. They also use two boarding bridges so it makes the process quite smooth too.

I can't remember the last time they didn't call for Fist first at Singapore.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold | Hilton Honors Platinum
One of the best systems I have seen is at STR, where priority boarding is through a completely separated seating area (in fact a difference gate number! 344 vs 343).

All CE and OW status passengers board through this gate, then and only then is the 343 gate opened. I think after any tiny kids / families / extra assistance have gone through 343.

Obviously not feasible everywhere, but very efficient. Have also seen the (local German) BA ground staff rooting passengers who shouldn't be there out of the 344 gate area as well.

Last time I flew STR-LHR (Sunday last week) there were probably 10-12 pax in the area, on an almost full flight (only 3 rows of CE however).
Old Nov 7, 2014, 1:46 pm
ECR

Originally Posted by father_ted
DUB very busy this morning... Interesting that the gate used for LCY services had a banner showing fast track for Gold only, whereas the LHR gate had an older standard banner inviting Silvers and Bronzes.
This seems to suggest that the Gold/Emerald only fast track just applies on the new Dublin route to/from London City rather than there being any change to the current arrangements on the Heathrow route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.