Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

T5 security is a total disaster! [inc Fast Track issues]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hillrider
LHR charges for the cost of this screening to the passengers. For example, if you transited LHR on a round-trip in economy class from the US, you paid GBP 54.39 (USD 83.10) for this (on the ticket under tax/fee "UB").

EU Regulations state that "transfer passengers and their cabin baggage may be exempted from screening, if: (a) they arrive from a Member State [...] or (b) they arrive from a third country where the security standards applied are recognised as equivalent to the common basic standards [...] [E.g. the USA]"

Security control when connecting between USA and Schengen flights (European airports competing for LHR traffic)

SECURITY CONTROL both ways:
  • LHR

NO SECURITY CONTROL either way (Schengen to USA or v.v.):
  • FRA (A/Z-gates only) [Lufthansa hub]
  • MUC [Lufthansa hub]
  • AMS (from mid 2015 when reconstruction works finish) [KLM hub]
  • HEL
  • ZRH [SWISS hub]
  • CPH

NO SECURITY CONTROL from Schengen to USA (control on the way back from USA to Schengen):
  • VIE
  • WAW
  • ARN
  • OSL
Print Wikipost

T5 security is a total disaster! [inc Fast Track issues]

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
T8191 makes a good point. When you've grabbed your stuff from the trays, your hands are full. You need to vacate that area and get to a table/bench to repack your stuff. Your hands are full. There are other passengers feverishly queuing behind you to collect their belongings too.

However, my main point still stands: we're the customer and it shouldn't be our job to stack trays. Our experience through the airport should be as pleasant as possible given around half of the ticket price is various taxes.
Old May 28, 2015, 12:50 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If you give a single Avios for every tray returned, via a scan of your boarding pass, you'll get stats galore and the problem utterly solved.
Do we get bonus points for clearing other people's trays? Now that's an idea. All of a sudden a serious influx of people from FT feverishly clearing trays...
Old May 28, 2015, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by rumbataz
T8191 makes a good point. When you've grabbed your stuff from the trays, your hands are full. You need to vacate that area and get to a table/bench to repack your stuff. Your hands are full. There are other passengers feverishly queuing behind you to collect their belongings too.

However, my main point still stands: we're the customer and it shouldn't be our job to stack trays. Our experience through the airport should be as pleasant as possible given around half of the ticket price is various taxes.
1. Thanks. I hasten to add I have no professional knowledge of "Time and Motion", but it's clear that most airport operators haven't either. LAX is my only experience of common sense, room to move and re-arrange your life.

2. Agreed. HAL should be paying for the extra staff to perform that humble function. We [the pax] pay enough already without being required to facilitate HAL's profit margin. The current system is borked from start to finish, and I'm amazed that some geek with a degree in 'moving people' hasn't identified [and offered solutions to] the issues. WHO IS RESPONSIBLE?

I'm grateful I only have to suffer LHR T5 a 2/3 of times a year. LGW isn't much better, tbh ... the outflow at both is invariably worse than the inflow, IME.
Old May 28, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: BAEC
I can only assume you are joking or trolling.

1. Put your own tray away. No one is asking you to stack 'trays'. Just your tray. You don't fart daisies. Do as everyone else does and security will move faster for everyone.
2. You understand the difference between a tax and a charge, right? A tax goes to the government. A charge usually goes to a company. In this case most of the 'charges' in the ticket price go to BA. The taxes go to HMRC. HAL doesn't get half your ticket price.
Old May 28, 2015, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
2. Agreed. HAL should be paying for the extra staff to perform that humble function. We [the pax] pay enough already without being required to facilitate HAL's profit margin. The current system is borked from start to finish, and I'm amazed that some geek with a degree in 'moving people' hasn't identified [and offered solutions to] the issues. WHO IS RESPONSIBLE?
It is OUTRAGEOUS that, despite generating PROFITS (), HAL forces me to lift my own bags onto the conveyor belt for security screening. And then they compel me to go get a tray and put my liquids and laptop into that tray. Can you believe it?? Do they not realise that I am a PAYING CUSTOMER?! Some geek with a degree (boooo hiss - who needs one of those?) needs to sort this problem out pronto. I am VERY important and I should not have to perform 'humble' functions myself!! Whilst on the topic of functions, I notice that the loos in T5 don't come with automated bottom wipers. Most distressing.
Old May 28, 2015, 1:32 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
2. You understand the difference between a tax and a charge, right? A tax goes to the government. A charge usually goes to a company. In this case most of the 'charges' in the ticket price go to BA. The taxes go to HMRC. HAL doesn't get half your ticket price.
While I don't agree with rumbataz's view that a customer should not need to put the tray away, in his defence if he's on a cheap ticket the majority of the money actually doesn't go to BA.

Just over £30 goes to LHR in passenger service charge. Then there is APD of £13 (assuming short haul ET/domestic). Out of a cheap ticket ex-LHR, just over £43 does not go to BA at all.

While I happily put away my own trays and other people's without grudges, I do think that LHR should provide better level of service (= faster security queues and proper fast track) for their £30 per person (plus shopping revenue, rent they get etc).
Old May 28, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
I can only assume you are joking or trolling.

1. Put your own tray away. No one is asking you to stack 'trays'. Just your tray. You don't fart daisies. Do as everyone else does and security will move faster for everyone.
I'm neither joking nor trolling. I just happen to have a different viewpoint to yours.

I don't know how often you go through T5, but I've had to endure T5 security for virtually every single week for the last eight months.

Other airports around the world manage to make the experience somewhat more pleasant.
Old May 28, 2015, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

£30 fee is crazy for what is offered. It shows how public infrastructure should be in public hands so the profits can be reinvested back in, instead of siphoned off to shareholders. Like the railways.

Some airports have automatic tray dispensers and recovery. I imagine such systems are expensive...oh oh...that won't look good to the shareholders just like employing more staff because in LON productivity seems rather low...
Old May 28, 2015, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is OUTRAGEOUS that, despite generating PROFITS (), HAL forces me to lift my own bags onto the conveyor belt for security screening. And then they compel me to go get a tray and put my liquids and laptop into that tray. Can you believe it?? Do they not realise that I am a PAYING CUSTOMER?! Some geek with a degree (boooo hiss - who needs one of those?) needs to sort this problem out pronto. I am VERY important and I should not have to perform 'humble' functions myself!! Whilst on the topic of functions, I notice that the loos in T5 don't come with automated bottom wipers. Most distressing.
Joke? Silly? Who knows?

Doesn't add a great deal to the discussion, though, other than re-stating that LHR T5 seems to be in the lower quartile of what 'can be done'.
Old May 28, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
I'm neither joking nor trolling. I just happen to have a different viewpoint to yours.

I don't know how often you go through T5, but I've had to endure T5 security for virtually every single week for the last eight months.

Other airports around the world manage to make the experience somewhat more pleasant.
Yes indeed they do, i even prefer miami (shock horror). Can take longer but that is volume and boy they keep you moving. For trays i still say just do it yourself since it is what it is, but point is valid it could all be better. For me it is all about the speed of each part of the process, especially exceptions i.e pat downs - all men must wait now while one guy gets a long pat down then the staff walk off, extra bag check....snails space then staff walk off, scanner reader staring intently then walks off with no replacement..... It isnt that slow overall, i just see it could be so much faster as there seems to be no effort at all to make it quick. Maybe i just see me putting trays back as trying to do something about something i actually can help improve. It does speed things up and i can help that with very little effort.

Last edited by jcm9000; May 28, 2015 at 2:22 pm
Old May 28, 2015, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by hugolover
£30 fee is crazy for what is offered. It shows how public infrastructure should be in public hands so the profits can be reinvested back in, instead of siphoned off to shareholders. Like the railways.

Some airports have automatic tray dispensers and recovery. I imagine such systems are expensive...oh oh...that won't look good to the shareholders just like employing more staff because in LON productivity seems rather low...
You'll be pleased to know it is £23.25, not £30. And the cap is set by the CAA, so it isn't nasty nasty HAL charging you too much. Anyone who thinks railways were better in public hands really needs a reality check.
Old May 28, 2015, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
Joke? Silly? Who knows?

Doesn't add a great deal to the discussion, though, other than re-stating that LHR T5 seems to be in the lower quartile of what 'can be done'.
Ok, let me translate for you: you shouldn't be so bloody lazy. Other similar functions are not carried out for you and do not generate complaint.
Old May 28, 2015, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You'll be pleased to know it is £23.25, not £30. And the cap is set by the CAA, so it isn't nasty nasty HAL charging you too much. Anyone who thinks railways were better in public hands really needs a reality check.
Are you suggesting I need a reality check? It certainly looks that way to me.

Take a look at the Northern Ireland railways, it is fully state owned. Privatising the railways was a disaster except for those who get to cream of the profits and put their hands in the till.
Old May 28, 2015, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, let me translate for you: you shouldn't be so bloody lazy. Other similar functions are not carried out for you and do not generate complaint.
*ahem* Excuse me, Sir. I am in the group that shifts other people's trays

My contention is simply that the system is dependent on 'other' people who don't give a damn, my dear. Have a good weekend.
Old May 28, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Thanks for the insights FTLHR, I hope at least of the the projects is how to speed-up secondary scanning, or at least not make it uniformly long for every single bag

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.