Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

T5 security is a total disaster! [inc Fast Track issues]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hillrider
LHR charges for the cost of this screening to the passengers. For example, if you transited LHR on a round-trip in economy class from the US, you paid GBP 54.39 (USD 83.10) for this (on the ticket under tax/fee "UB").

EU Regulations state that "transfer passengers and their cabin baggage may be exempted from screening, if: (a) they arrive from a Member State [...] or (b) they arrive from a third country where the security standards applied are recognised as equivalent to the common basic standards [...] [E.g. the USA]"

Security control when connecting between USA and Schengen flights (European airports competing for LHR traffic)

SECURITY CONTROL both ways:
  • LHR

NO SECURITY CONTROL either way (Schengen to USA or v.v.):
  • FRA (A/Z-gates only) [Lufthansa hub]
  • MUC [Lufthansa hub]
  • AMS (from mid 2015 when reconstruction works finish) [KLM hub]
  • HEL
  • ZRH [SWISS hub]
  • CPH

NO SECURITY CONTROL from Schengen to USA (control on the way back from USA to Schengen):
  • VIE
  • WAW
  • ARN
  • OSL
Print Wikipost

T5 security is a total disaster! [inc Fast Track issues]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2014, 6:07 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Platinum
The apparent zeal of some security staff (or indeed the general lethargy) might not be unconnected to HAH's recent announcement of a review of their pension scheme. Although such a review is probably inevitable, staff have some justification for being aggrieved, as a commitment was made back in 2008 not to seek further changes to the pension scheme for a period of 12 years subject to the scheme deficit not exceeding Ł250m. The latest deficit is Ł179m but nevertheless HAH has announced a review, describing the current arrangements as unsustainable. Staff are understandably concerned.

Expect further disruption!
Old Dec 14, 2014, 6:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Does this make them more or less zealous? I would have thought the latter.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Genius1
It's not an emergency exit. It's just a door into the Concorde Room.

Fast Track improvements at T5 are on the horizon. The Fast Track products at T4 and T3 have recently been updated to match T2, and T5 is to follow.
No love for T1!

Actually they could advertise T1 as fast track for all

One thing I don't understand is why when there's so many check in desks vacant that El Al are so far away from the now only entrance to security.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Does this make them more or less zealous? I would have thought the latter.
Both I imagine. Excessive zeal when checking something that has popped into secondary search. And general lethargy in all other areas. Both have the same effect of slowing everything down and making an (expensive) point to their employer, who is fined by the CAA whenever the security queuing targets are missed. I don't see security staff being particularly receptive to working more efficiently at a time when there is major uncertainty over their pension scheme.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by bagold
What really bothers me in LHR is that whenever they find something suspicious in your bag, they then go through the entire bag and not only the area that is highlighted on their screen.
This is DfT (government) regulation.

Originally Posted by layz
One thing I don't understand is why when there's so many check in desks vacant that El Al are so far away from the now only entrance to security.
I would imagine due to EL AL's security requirements.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Genius1
This is DafT (government) regulation.
Channeling my inner Ian Hislop, I have fixed that for you.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: BAEC
Arrived at T5 last Tuesday for flight to BOS. Checked in at the F area then walked to south security fast track.

14.36 - scanned my boarding pass
14.40 - put my coat back on and picked up my bags.
14.40 and a bit - pressed the green smiley button on the mood-o-matic

No queues, dealt with by a couple of friendly security people (there were 16 of them on duty) and overall an unexpectedly positive experience.

Only downside was more time than needed at the airport as a result. Gave me time to look closely around the CCR - now looking very tired: clearly visible greasy stains on the fabric covered chairs, the ladies washrooms really shabby (scratched surfaces, chipped wood on the dark wooden table, flooring worn and stained etc.), scuff marks from shoes/luggage not removed. All relatively easy stuff to keep on top of I would have thought...

Reception person was less than welcoming (on the 'phone the whole time - only stopping to raise her voice to question a man who walked in behind me) and the waiter brought me the wrong meal. Correct meal when it arrived - mushrooms on brioche - was pretty ordinary.

First world problems I know, but comparing it to the AF F offering in CDG, the CCR badly needs some care and money spent on it as soon as possible.

Arriving back at T5 this morning (4:55) was HORRIBLE. The F experience ends the minute you get off the aircraft (didn't even get let off first) - parked at a C gate and the train was packed due to simultaneous arrival of BA12 and a couple of other large aircraft - hundreds of people all trying to get on the same train - it was uncomfortably packed...people were then queuing just to get on the escalators up to Transfers and UK Border which didn't look safe so I took the lift.

So for me - departure good, arrivals rubbish.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Happily located in the breakfast area of T5 GF (well, as happy as possible at this time of the morning).. Arrived at 5.50am, didn't like the look of the tensabarriers outside south security, but pressed on through Fast Track and found.... no queue.... The new area was working well and I must have been through in 5 minutes or even less. Was quite concerned having read this thread
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
New Fast Track

I don't know if this has been posted before but the new fast track security at South is now open. It was rather good actually. Very quick but I think that was something to do with the number of people travelling rather than the layout (which is different).

There's only one arch way but two x-ray machines. The difference is that there is much more room to load up the trays before scanning. However, since they still have to go through one by one the saving isn't huge.

It was certainly a better experience than my previous early morning flight two weeks ago.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Happily located in the breakfast area of T5 GF (well, as happy as possible at this time of the morning).. Arrived at 5.50am
Must have just missed you.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 1:21 am

Programs: BA GGL/GFL, Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Whilst T1 is empty, I had the bureaucratic brigade on security today- they said my sealed bag was not UK compliant (I got it in Luxbourg security) so I was given a different bag to transfer. I ended up losing a few items. Even though I''m through Heathrow every week with the same bag, trying to talk to them is a waste of time.
"If they were on fire, I wouldn't even ......."
Bah humbug aplenty
Old Dec 15, 2014, 2:55 am

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Angry

Originally Posted by BasilBush
Both I imagine. Excessive zeal when checking something that has popped into secondary search. And general lethargy in all other areas. Both have the same effect of slowing everything down and making an (expensive) point to their employer, who is fined by the CAA whenever the security queuing targets are missed. I don't see security staff being particularly receptive to working more efficiently at a time when there is major uncertainty over their pension scheme.
Terribly slow processing it seemed connecting through on Friday and looks pretty similar so far today. Standing stationary in line for a very long time while it seemed to take over a minute for a person to go through each screening station.
Then secondary screening for my liquids (ok, fine) but 4 people ahead of me for that and only the one person doing it, none of the other lines helping out.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 3:05 am

At the risk of appearing facetious, I would like to share something a little light-hearted from across the Pond! For "TSA" read "DFT":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnSlivfhZPU
Old Dec 15, 2014, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Woodley_Beacon
At the risk of appearing facetious, I would like to share something a little light-hearted from across the Pond! For "TSA" read "DFT":

Old Dec 15, 2014, 3:29 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Woodley_Beacon

^^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.