Wiki Posts
Search

T5 security

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2014, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: GGL/GFL
T5 security

10 minutes just to get to the conformance check scanner at FT and now 15 minutes in a non moving queue.. Who knows how much longer this will take, but allow yourselves extra time this morning as it is dire.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Are you at North Security or South Security ( South is closer to the CW/F check in area)

North security can be messy due to the flight connections pax also using it

Good luck!

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 2, 2014, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: GGL/GFL
39 minutes all in through fast track at South. North apparently is worse this morning.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Ouch!

So much for fast track!

Time for a cold drink I think.

Have a good flight.

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 2, 2014, 5:10 am

Sundays are often bad in my experience. I'm not sure what it is, but I suspect it has a lot to do with infrequent leisure travellers who aren't used to going through security.

I could be wrong though.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 5:21 am

Programs: BAEC
Took me 10 minutes at 7am this morning but the queues were beginning to form behind me...

When I looked down on South security from GC earlier I realised the cladding that's up around half of if is covering an extra belt so presumably they're doing some work on it but whilst they are, that's taking away 1/3 of the fast track capacity.

But thinking about it, I can't remember a time when the cladding wasn't there.

Edit: The actual cause of people taking time to go through, when I was there earlier, was the scanning throughput - people were pretty good at getting their kit onto the belt - but over half the waiting time was everyone standing waiting for items to go through xray. Not helped by people picking up their bags, leaving the empty bins, and walking off, of course.

Last edited by Beansprout; Nov 2, 2014 at 5:26 am
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:17 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Beansprout
Not helped by people picking up their bags, leaving the empty bins, and walking off, of course.
I put away about 6 or more trays on average when I go through security at T5, as not many people put their trays away and there are often no staff members doing so, resulting in a build-up that stops the flow of the items through the scanner. I think the most I've put away so far was about 15! As a regular traveller through there, I do what I can to help other people's experience be a bit more reasonable.

They need to either put staff member there to put the tray away or educate the passengers on the requirement (e.g. more prominent display with the request to put the trays away).
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:20 am

Programs: BA LTG, Defender of the turnip.
Isn't there a heightened security level at the moment? Could account for the slower scanning.

Originally Posted by Beansprout
Not helped by people picking up their bags, leaving the empty bins, and walking off, of course.
Lol, that annoys me as well, it's just plane laziness imo!
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:21 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
my last few flights (HEL) have been from T3 and I've found the queues both at (fast track) security and especially at the UK border on returning to be so much shorter than T5.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:24 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12A405 Safari/600.1.4)

Long queues being held at the bottom of the escalators at T5 Transfers, overcrowded transit train, 45 min & counting from on stand and no bags.

Welcome to the third world.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:58 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia

They need to either put staff member there to put the tray away or educate the passengers on the requirement (e.g. more prominent display with the request to put the trays away).
The former. The security farce is bad enough without being asked to do their jobs for them. I'm also well pleased to require a meticulous staff re-packing of any bags selected for unwarranted secondary searches. The security muppets at LHR have had the effect of making me smile every time I see a TSA agent in the States. Might not get a polite hello, but at least they do their job with brisk efficiency.

Furthermore, if I wait at Fast Track for longer than 15 minutes, that will usually cost BA 10K Avios by way of apology. Every one of us should utilize the complaint form and demand compensation for our lost time when these failures occur. Eventually they will tire of giving us free RFS and upgrades and instead invest the money in proper FT lanes.

Well, that turned into a rant. Going to put the toys back in the pram now.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 7:06 am

Dupe post

Last edited by Redwood; Nov 2, 2014 at 7:16 am
Old Nov 2, 2014, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by ppp909
Sundays are often bad in my experience. I'm not sure what it is, but I suspect it has a lot to do with infrequent leisure travellers who aren't used to going through security.

I could be wrong though.
It's the end of half term, not just for the UK but also in Belgium, France and the Netherlands. But you're right, Sunday mornings can be busy due to many people on weekend breaks going back home etc.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 7:12 am
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I put away about 6 or more trays on average when I go through security at T5, as not many people put their trays away and there are often no staff members doing so, resulting in a build-up that stops the flow of the items through the scanner. I think the most I've put away so far was about 15! As a regular traveller through there, I do what I can to help other people's experience be a bit more reasonable.

I put away about a half dozen trays myself a few days ago while my bag was being gone-through, and then someone who seemed like he might be the supervisor of the security unit came over and he started putting away trays. He was joking (in a positive way) with other security personnel about his new job as a "tray puter-awayer." You'd think that the easiest fix would be to tell people to put away their trays.

The fast track line was pretty short and I got through in about 10 minutes. It was about 9:00 AM during the week.

Last edited by BLG; Nov 2, 2014 at 7:18 am
Old Nov 2, 2014, 7:18 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by BLG
I put away about a half dozen trays myself a few days ago while my bag was being gone-through, and then someone who seemed like he might be the supervisor of the security unit came over and he started putting away trays. He was joking (in a positive way) with other security personnel about his new job as a "tray puter-awayer." You'd think that the easiest fix would be to tell people to put away their trays.
I'd say it was better during the automated tray-put-away days. Do you remember those days? I wish they implemented the same system but with the current, big trays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.