Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

DUB->LGW->MCO with 1st leg on EI - baggage allowance as a oneworld sapphire?

Old Oct 29, 14, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys

Wonder if anyone can clarify as per the title. Flying in Y on a BA ticket but the first leg is operated by EI. As oneworld sapphire (CX Gold) will I be entitled to 2 free checked bags?

Thanks
Old Oct 29, 14, 6:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Hilton Gold
Oooh, I have just done this routing, albeit in J. The MMB is very unclear and seems to refer to luggage charges etc. Our experience was that the long haul allowance applied to the ei flight to lgw.

The transfer at lgw is very easy, although the chap at lgw s doesn't seem to like the ei boarding passes and will send you to the nearby BA desk to get BA to print new ones.

You get a bus, that is empty, from s to n.
Old Oct 30, 14, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks for that! Have a 2hr 45 min transfer so should get a bit of time to relax.

Hopefully we get the extra baggage too with little hassle
Old Oct 30, 14, 5:10 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Your baggage allowance should be that of the marketing carrier of the first segment (BA). BA's allowance in economy is 1 bag. As a OW SPH you get an additional bag when travelling on BA flights. However, the additional allowance is not a part of the ticketed allowance that EI will see on your ticket. It all depends upon whether or not BA and EI agreed to honour their respective frequent flyer additional allowance when they code-share) some airlines do but many don't).
Even if the allowance of the longer sector applies it will still be 1 bag on the ticket.
I would prepare to pay for the second bag but do mentioned at check-in that BA allows 2 checked bags for OW SPHs.

It would be easier if airlines just added FF allowance to the ticketed allowance so that all airlines in the itinerary could see it, but I can see how other (especially non-aligned) airlines may not want to carry additional bags for some other airline's frequent flyer.
Old Oct 30, 14, 5:12 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

As a rule of thumb, when it comes to baggage interlining across multiple carriers covering multiple geographic zones* the allowance applicable to the Most Significant Carrier governs. The MSC is the carrier operating the longest sector in your ticket, so in this case as a oneworld Sapphire card holder, your overall allowance will be matched by BA’s allowance of 2 pieces. Note however, the extra baggage weight allowance of 32kg only applies to the BA sectors, so to avoid any excess fees you should keep the weight of each bag to 23kg or less.

*added for clarity. Geographic zones are the Americas / Europe, Middle East and Africa / Asia Pacific

Last edited by Prospero; Oct 30, 14 at 5:20 am
Old Oct 30, 14, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
so in this case as a oneworld Sapphire card holder, your overall allowance will be matched by BA’s allowance of 2 pieces.
As I mentioned before additional allowance is not indicated on the ticket. I had many instances when I am allowed 2 bags on short haul where I usually would be allowed only 1 bag because BA gives 2 bags in WTP but I was never allowed a 3rd bag on a non-OW carrier due to being a OW EMD (all one ticket). Usually whatever is indicated is honoured even if the operating airline has a lower allowance but checking in an additional bag that one get due to status on a different carrier is difficult.
Old Oct 30, 14, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys, all useful info. I think I am going to avoid tempting fate by bringing a bigger carry-on and sticking to 1 checked bag. On the way back its all BA/AA so I can buy an extra bag and check it in if the shopping necessitates it!
Old Oct 30, 14, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by benjyyy View Post
Thanks guys, all useful info. I think I am going to avoid tempting fate by bringing a bigger carry-on and sticking to 1 checked bag. On the way back its all BA/AA so I can buy an extra bag and check it in if the shopping necessitates it!
Why don't you call EI and ask them what your allowance would be? Explain that you're allowed one extra bag on the longhaul segment due to OW status.

BA and EI may have an agreement that frequent flyer allowance is extended to respective passengers on their flights. BA may also send a SSR to check-in that you're entitled to one extra bag and EI will see it.
Old Oct 30, 14, 7:03 am

Programs: A3*G, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by Andriyko View Post
Why don't you call EI and ask them what your allowance would be? Explain that you're allowed one extra bag on the longhaul segment due to OW status.

BA and EI may have an agreement that frequent flyer allowance is extended to respective passengers on their flights. BA may also send a SSR to check-in that you're entitled to one extra bag and EI will see it.
I wouldn't bother if I were you. I e-mailed EI about this and they never replied to me, and I also asked them on Facebook and they told me they didn't know and that there was no way to find out. Basically, EI are unable to tell you in advance what your luggage allowance is on an EI flight! That said, I've had no problem with overweight bags on EI/BA tickets so you should be fine but I think it really does depend on the check-in agent you get. In my experience, most EI check-in agents are really friendly and helpful so it shouldn't be an issue. Your plan of taking a large piece of hand luggage to avoid the potential for hassle is still the best one though in my opinion.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: