Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avios Household account Family and Friends restrictions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Up until recently, when I had less than the maximum of 5 Family and Friends names on my Avios Household account, the system has always allowed me to add new members until the maximum of five members was reached. The only restriction being that an existing member could not be removed for six months after being added.

Now I have five members on the list and I get a message saying that even if I remove one of them I have a 24 hour window to make changes after which the system will lock me out. which means that if I now remove 2 members and don't immediately replace them with new names, after 24 hours I get locked out for the next 6 months with only 3 members left on the list.

Is this new? Any other FTers see this?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Anyone...anyone??
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:14 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by ravi100
Now I have five members on the list and I get a message saying that even if I remove one of them I have a 24 hour window to make changes after which the system will lock me out. which means that if I now remove 2 members and don't immediately replace them with new names, after 24 hours I get locked out for the next 6 months with only 3 members left on the list.
This is correct and has been that way since the Friends&Family was changed, and as per the T&C's.

See the HHA guide: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-accounts.html

Also the T&C's:
18.1.7. Once a Household Account is established, new member(s) may not be added or existing member(s) removed more than once every six months. A Household Account may not be dissolved or re-established more than once every six months.
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...useholdaccount
Old Oct 29, 2014, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I noticed this recently as well. I thought it may even be some weird sort of typo but it seems not.

We also had an IT issue. My Gold wife created a F&F list and tried to transfer some Avios to that person (she is not in a HHA but that should not be an issue.) She permanently gets an error message saying 'error - you do not have anyone you can transfer Avios to'.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

I did not realize that Avios could be transferred to Friends and family...
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:09 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by ravi100
I did not realize that Avios could be transferred to Friends and family...
For BA Gold it is free to transfer, otherwise the cost is prohibitive.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by nux
This is correct and has been that way since the Friends&Family was changed, and as per the T&C's.

See the HHA guide: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-accounts.html

Also the T&C's:
18.1.7. Once a Household Account is established, new member(s) may not be added or existing member(s) removed more than once every six months. A Household Account may not be dissolved or re-established more than once every six months.
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...useholdaccount
Does this apply directly to the Family and Friends List? I notice that the T&C has a separate section (19) for that, which includes:-
19.1.2. Individuals nominated to the Family and Friends list must remain on the list for a minimum of six months.
19.1.9. Once a Family and Friends list is established, new nominees(s) may be added or existing nominee(s) removed at any time, at all times subject to Clause 19.1.2.
The words "at any time" suggest that it should be possible to have five members for six months, remove two of them to leave three on the list, and then a month later add two new names.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Exactly! This was my assumption when I first saw the message about a "24hr" window.

When I first opened a Household account, I added people to the friends and family list one a t a time over about 3 months - no 24hr window.

Now that is contradicted by this new message. I'm going to try calling CS to see if they can clarify this when quoting the T&Cs
Old Mar 14, 2019, 3:23 am

Programs: BAEC GfL/GGL/CCR, BA Amex, Quidco, IHG Spire, Hotels.com Reinstated Gold)
Apologies for resurrecting, but the message remains about a 24 hour window.

You have a 24 hour window to remove people from your Family and Friends list from the time you start making changes.

After that, you cannot change the people on your list for 6 months.

Having spoken to GGL Line, they said it means that if you add a new friend, you cannot remove them after 24 hours have elapsed and have to keep them on there for 6 moonths, NOT that if you remove someone you HAVE to replace them with someone new within 24 hours or risk having empty slots in your F and F list.

Does that seem correct?

A poor turn of phrase on the website for sure

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.