Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Dublin, Belfast and Barcelona Terminal Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dublin, Belfast and Barcelona Terminal Changes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Genius1
BA and TAM moves into T3 (from T1 and T5) cannot immediately take place due to the baggage system upgrade currently underway in T3. Once this completes, these flights can move into T3.

October 2015 is the published date for T1 closing to passengers, with the current 4 airlines moving in a phased manner between now and October 2015. The exact dates are not yet published.
Presumably El-Al need a special gate as they currently have at T1?
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by layz
No, flights from Ireland will follow a different flight connections route just like it did at T1.

I believe like other international arrivals they will have to clear security.

However flights to Ireland will follow the domestic connections route (clear UK immigration).
Arriving planes from DUB come into gates A21-23 from where there is a new passageway directly to the international baggage hall. Passengers connecting onwards can go through a manual one-way door to the general international arrivals flow. Those not in possession of a passport and wishing to connect to a domestic flight or go back to DUB would need to go through to the baggage hall rather than via the connection route.

Passengers departing for DUB will be treated the same way as passengers departing for LHR's current set of domestic destinations, that is to say those connecting from a non-domestic flight will need to clear passport control, and all will have photographs taken for verification at the gate.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold GGL
A few blurry photos from my arrival at LHR today from DUB.

There was a lot of activity/staff around. Even the sniffer dog came to greet us on the air-bridge.

We arrived at Gate A23 and on exiting the air-bridge, I turned right and found myself here:

(The sign says Arrivals, Baggage Claim, Flight Connections UK to the left, International Connections straight on)

As mentioned above, straight on, through the glass door for International Connections. Lots of staff hanging around today and the check is to make sure people are not without their passports.

I was landing so followed the arrivals route. See UK connections are sent down that path too. A left turn is needed to bring you here.

Baggage reclaim is on the other side of the glass to the right. We are one level up.

The white part of this sign contains text. See its reflection in the side panel. It says something like for UK connections go through customs and then up to Departures.

This passageway has the feel of the green mile - elevated, narrow and monotonous - easing the transition for those people having difficulty with the change to T5.

After passing through this one-way only door, we merge with passengers coming from one part of the UK Border and everyone descends the escalator to Baggage Reclaim.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 2:45 am

Programs: ABBA
Presumably Americans coming from DUB would be able to claim they are collecting an onward boarding pass and pass into int connections then immigrate normally, to ensure correct stamps on immigration?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paulwuk
Presumably Americans coming from DUB would be able to claim they are collecting an onward boarding pass and pass into int connections then immigrate normally, to ensure correct stamps on immigration?
A good point! Aliens are not supposed to be using the CTA arrangement and I know of one unlucky American who was "voluntarily" deported after she used it twice. (Her exit and subsequent entry to the UK was not recorded and she was treated as an overstayer.)
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:57 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Originally Posted by Calchas
A good point! Aliens are not supposed to be using the CTA arrangement and I know of one unlucky American who was "voluntarily" deported after she used it twice. (Her exit and subsequent entry to the UK was not recorded and she was treated as an overstayer.)
Please do enlighten me on this! As an American living in Britain and heading to DUB soon on BA, am I required to take my passport with me? I assumed the CTA was a de facto domestic flight that only required Customs to be cleared, so naturally I was assuming that I only needed my UK driver's licence to fly to DUB. Am I correct in that assumption? (Currently don't have access to Timatic)

Cheers,
BA0197
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by BA0197
I assumed the CTA was a de facto domestic flight that only required Customs to be cleared, so naturally I was assuming that I only needed my UK driver's licence to fly to DUB. Am I correct in that assumption?
Does your UK driving licence show that you were not born in the UK? In the past, my companion has been stopped when trying to enter Ireland using only a similar UK driving licence. and directed to use the non-EU queue where a UK passport was required to gain entry. I don't know what would have happened if we had argued the toss (or if we had not had that UK passport with us), but in the event it was worth it to spend five minutes standing in a queue with Omara Portuondo and her band.

Personally, I think that if I were in your position, I would be bringing my passport if I wanted to make sure that I wasn't the subject of a difficult discussion at the port.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:35 am

I think you need to bring your passport.

A passport is only not required for citizens of the UK or Ireland. Its sort of a situation where you need to show your passport as proof that you don't need your passport. That sort of twisted logic is part and parcel of the fabric of the Irish!

From the gov.uk sire
"Ireland, along with the UK, is a member of the Common Travel Area. British nationals travelling from the UK don’t need a passport to visit Ireland. However, Irish immigration officers will check the ID of all passengers arriving by air from the UK and may ask for proof of nationality, particularly if you were born outside the UK. You are therefore advised to take your British passport with you."
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please do enlighten me on this! As an American living in Britain and heading to DUB soon on BA, am I required to take my passport with me? I assumed the CTA was a de facto domestic flight that only required Customs to be cleared, so naturally I was assuming that I only needed my UK driver's licence to fly to DUB. Am I correct in that assumption? (Currently don't have access to Timatic)

Cheers,
BA0197
You are not entitled to use the Common Travel Area arrangements between UK and Ireland unless you are a British or Irish national. You may get away without your passport, particularly entering the UK where we cannot be bothered/do not have the money to screen Irish arrivals.

Code:
National USA (US)               /Residence United Kingdom (GB)
Embarkation United Kingdom (GB) 
Destination Ireland (Rep.) (IE)

Passport required.
- Passports and/or passport replacing documents must be valid
  for the period of intended stay. 
Passport Exemptions:
- Holders of emergency or temporary passports.
VISA NOT REQUIRED.
Minors:
- Children up to/incl.16 years of age
- A separate visa is required for children up to/incl. 16
  years of age, provided For details, click here 
- Pupils For details, click here 
Additional Information:
- Visitors holding passports containing a British inadmissible
  stamp could be refused entry.
- Visitors are required to hold proof of sufficient funds to
  cover their stay. 
Warning:
- Immigration controls apply for visitors arriving from Great
  Britain and Northern Ireland, For details, click here
- Visitors not holding return/onward tickets could be refused
  entry.
cf
Code:
National United Kingdom (GB)    
Embarkation United Kingdom (GB)
Destination Ireland (Rep.) (IE)

Passport required.
- British passports endorsed  British Citizen  must be valid
  on arrival.
- British passports endorsed  British Subject  which also
  contain a Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode
  issued by the United Kingdom, must be valid on arrival.
- Other British passports and/or passport replacing documents
  must be valid for the period of intended stay. 
- British passports endorsed  British Citizen  that have been
  extended 12 months by an extension stamp contained within
  the passport are accepted.
Passport Exemptions:
- Holders of proof of nationality issued to nationals of
  Ireland (Rep.) and British subjects for travel between
  Ireland (Rep.) and Great Britain and Northern Ireland only. 
- Holders of emergency or temporary passports.
Visa required, except for Holders of British passports
endorsed: 
-  British Citizen ; or 
-  British National (Overseas) ; or 
-  British Overseas Territories Citizen . 
Minors:
- Children up to/incl.16 years of ageFor details, click here
- A separate visa is required for children up to/incl. 16
  years of age, provided For details, click here
You can access TIMATIC for free here: http://www.staralliance.com/en/servi...a-and-health/#
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
I still wonder to the rationale in terms of terminal moving - for example why should BCN move to T3? Why the BCN route? Why is my GIB flight T 3 and not T5? BUD as well - yet the existing Irish flights etc all get T5 from T1?

Makes little sense to me....
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:43 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by nivsy
I still wonder to the rationale in terms of terminal moving - for example why should BCN move to T3? Why the BCN route? Why is my GIB flight T 3 and not T5? BUD as well - yet the existing Irish flights etc all get T5 from T1?

Presumably GIB and BCN have fewer people connecting to other flights (or those that do are less likely to not fly BA because of the terminal change)

BFS/DUB have to go to T5 or T2 as T3/T4 don't have any domestic capability, T1 is shutting. T2 doesn't have a BA presence, so that leaves T5.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nivsy

T5 has insufficient capacity for all the BA flights (don't ask), so some occupation of the lesser terminals is needed. However, the connection experience is best T5->T5, for obvious reasons, rather than an inter-terminal transfer. This is particularly true for domestic-to-international, (although, with the removal of fast track, the opposite is no longer the case). And, more to the point, the minimum connect times at T5->T5 are lower than T5->T3 (or T3->T5), so the same feeder flight can supply more long haul feeds operating out of T5 than T3.

Thus there is inevitable pressure to shift high-frequency connecting traffic to T5, and push infrequently connecting routes like BCN, and perhaps GIB out to T3.

Then there is the fact that T1 is closing soon.

Accommodating DUB required physical changes to the terminal structure since we don't apply immigration controls to DUB but we don't trust their airside security. This delayed the move a bit.

T3 does not have the capacity to handle domestic or common travel area flights, so DUB/BHD could not move there without a lot of changes to the terminal.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Gib has been mucked about for years with BA -it's Gatwick for a while, then T5 LHR for a while, then back to LGW then T3 LHR - anyway suites me lounge choices are fine at T3 but down side is the connections onwards and return that route via T5...and quite a few do ex GIB
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
As an American living in Britain and heading to DUB soon on BA, am I required to take my passport with me?
I hold a non-EU passport. I can confirm that you do to enter and leave Dublin Airport. Irish impose passport checks and visa stamps on all non-EU passengers.

When I spoke to the Irish Immigration office a couple of years ago, he said if you are a UK national, you have to prove you a a UK national. Not sure if a UK driving licience would achieve this. Its about proving nationality, not identity. He wasnt interested that I had UK residency, etc.

UK Borders do not impose immigration checks on flights in from the Irish Republic. So it is a UK waiver, not an Irish waiver.

I believe if you fly to Belfast (UK) and take the train or the bus to Dublin, passport checks might be overlooked.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Originally Posted by KenJohn
I hold a non-EU passport. I can confirm that you do to enter and leave Dublin Airport. Irish impose passport checks and visa stamps on all non-EU passengers.

When I spoke to the Irish Immigration office a couple of years ago, he said if you are a UK national, you have to prove you a a UK national. Not sure if a UK driving licience would achieve this. Its about proving nationality, not identity. He wasnt interested that I had UK residency, etc.

UK Borders do not impose immigration checks on flights in from the Irish Republic. So it is a UK waiver, not an Irish waiver.

I believe if you fly to Belfast (UK) and take the train or the bus to Dublin, passport checks might be overlooked.
Yes, so basically this is complete nonsense and does not deter the wrong sort of people from entering the UK or Ireland and penalises those that have the right to live in the UK that are foreign nationals. Ah well!

Funny though how I don't need a passport to travel to BHD but need one to travel to DUB although there is nothing stopping me from driving between Northern Ireland and Ireland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.