Search

LGW-Arrecife-LGW trip report

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Just some notes about recent flights LGW-ACE-LGW in Club Europe

I booked this as a package with 3 nights in a good 5* fully inclusive hotel. Overall the flights fully met my expectations

High points

Good and very fast manual check in at both ends
Premium Gatwick security
Lounge at LGW - but a pity the catering for breakfast was not as good as T5
Priority boarding at LGW very well organised

Seating
We had the same aircraft and seats 1A/C both ways an A320 with the original seating where the arms are extended for the A/C seats. Enjoyed using the baby basinet for extra space for drinks. 6 rows of CE and completely full both ways

Crews
Very nice crews especially on the return where the 2nd crew member in CE was especially pro-active and engaging with passengers. Served a round of soft drinks in glasses 15 mins out of LGW (Not sure if this is normal service)

Food
Small menu cards and 2 choices of main course. Quite substantial portions, hot and tasty. Cheese plate and small desert plate. Didn't match what I had read in the short haul catering guide for band 3 or 4 CE but very good

Drinks
No problem getting drinks and all served in glasses. Offered brandy on the outbound after the meal

Low points

Priority tags didn't work. Bags out last on outbound and about half way through on return

No priority security in ACE (Not BA's fault - airport doesn't have it)

No priority boarding in ACE

No lounge in ACE (Not BA's fault the generic airport lounge has been closed down). I asked if we could have refreshment vouchers but they were refused.

So, overall nice flights and I think it was well worth paying the extra for CE (Even as a Silver member) but I do think they should have offered vouchers in place of lounge access at ACE
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Interesting

Originally Posted by leisureflyer1234
I sometimes wonder if it's better to board last when seated at the front of the aircraft, especially at airports without priority boarding.

How long did you have to wait for your bags at LGW?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
I had been concerned about baggage delivery at LGW. We waited about 10 mins for the belt to display and another 10 mins at the belt
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: BAEC
I had been concerned about baggage delivery at LGW. We waited about 10 mins for the belt to display and another 10 mins at the belt
I've always found Gatwick to be fairly bad for baggage wait times, regardless of airline or travel class. It does seem to be better now than a few years ago though.

Thanks for the trip report. Travelling from Gatwick next week in CE, so good to know the security and priority boarding is working well.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Etihad Guest
Had a trip out of Gatwick a few weeks ago in CE. Boarding and security on the outbound were great, but about a 25 min wait just for the announcement as to which belt the bags were being delivered on, and like the OP mentioned, priority tags didn't seem to be taken notice of.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: MUCCI - Order of the Diamond Hairbrush and Champion of Queens,BA Broon,HH Diamond,PC Plat,BA Amex
Well I find baggage to be hit-and-miss at every airport, everywhere, but I am more concerned about the lack of a lounge at the outstation, and indeed the lack of any form of compensation / reparation for this.

That is one of the few selling points of CE, and not having that surely fundamentally reduces the value of the product ?

I will accept that there is currently no lounge to use, but I think that a voucher to be exchanged for F&B in the departures area would be appropriate.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:51 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I don't believe that priority baggage tags work for Short-Haul.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:59 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite

They don't work anywhere. IMO.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
Interesting

I sometimes wonder if it's better to board last when seated at the front of the aircraft, especially at airports without priority boarding.
Only if you have 0 hand baggage!
Old Oct 23, 2014, 5:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by rxfleming
They don't work anywhere. IMO.
It always works reliably at SIN, NRT and HND on BA but I haven't personally seen it work reliably elsewhere on BA network.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 5:47 am

Just some notes about recent flights LGW-ACE-LGW in Club Europe

Low points

Priority tags didn't work. Bags out last on outbound and about half way through on return

No priority security in ACE (Not BA's fault - airport doesn't have it)

No lounge in ACE (Not BA's fault the generic airport lounge has been closed down). I asked if we could have refreshment vouchers but they were refused.

Great spot on review. Having done this route 3 times in the last 8 months I can only agree. It certainly seems to be a popular route so hoping that in the future they may add more flights.

Regarding tags they rarely work for me at ACE. Last time one bag did come off first but then the other came off last so was waiting 20 minutes between bags.

Security in fact has actually been updated recently. You should have seen the old area which snaked all the way from the entrance ,behind the check in area. It was a nightmare. The new area to the left is a vast improvement but I agree a Priority lane is much needed.

Priority boarding is only honoured by the LCC's ironically enough. BA need to take this up with local ground handlers.

The lounge is an issue that is starting to become a joke. It was supposed to open
back in April/May after being closed for refurbishment. Now it seems it will be next year unless there is some recent news I have missed. It must be some lounge for it to be taking this long

In fairness to ACE the airport is constantly improving and the new shops,bars,restaurants airside including duty free is looking very well compared to before. I guess that has taken priority over the lounge. I do agree that a voucher for EUR15-20 should be offered though taking into account a bottle of water is around EUR3 !

By the way what hotel did you stay in ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.