Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New security hall in EDI

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2017, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by gw76
So they say... but that weblink and the verbal announcements in the airport were prerecorded before those DY narrowbody load capped non ETOPs 737 flights started...
I would imagineits the airline rather than an airport promotion that decides !
It's allowed, honestly!

I believe it's now a contractual obligation on carriers flying from EDI to allow it. The sticking point was FR in memory serves and it was resolved after MOL threatened to pull a heap of services out of EDI during contract negotiations. Ultimately they both won - FR got cheaper charges and EDI got their shopping bags!
Old Jun 22, 2018, 9:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Since this is the main thread on Fast Track at Edinburgh Airport, and inspired by another thread, here are some photos of the new Fast Track route for those without checked baggage and flying British Airways (and other eligible airlines). It involves a stairwell from near the tram, car hire, hotel shuttle and independent carpark bus stations. It's also well located if parked in the mid term carpark, the walkway ends up by the door. If arriving on the main Edinburgh and Glasgow bus stances at the front door, the airport's own long stay car park bus, or using valet parking, then it is of less value since you would have to go out of your way to use this doorway, unless the airport is particularly busy. In which case you need to walk outside the terminal, in the direction of the traffic, to the end corner of the building.

Note that this route involves 4 flights of stairs to the upper level, almost directly to the Fast Track area, those who need to use a lift or escalator - or need to check-in baggage - will have to continue with the main route from the check-in area. This will also apply to those bringing friends or relatives to say goodbye at the airport, they best use the main route.

Once at the top of the stairwell the door layout will allow the the user to go in one of two directions. If the Fast Track overflow area is in use - so the main security hall is busy and the usual fast track lanes used for main security - the stairwell immediately brings you to a separate room for the security check. After clearing security there is then a passageway that brings the passenger to the end of the main security hall and then off to the duty free emporium. If Fast Track is being done in the main hall (so the airport is quiet or working at normal workload), the stairwell instead connects to a short corridor to the multi-storey car park (MSCP) footbridge, shown in the photo above, and then around to the main security hall.

This incidentally means that Silver and Gold cardholders using the MSCP or terminal surface parking no longer need to be concerned about use the footbridge without the fast track voucher sold in MSCP packages.
EsherFlyer, aks120 and Calchas like this.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Jun 22, 2018 at 4:51 pm
Old Jun 22, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
...for those without hand baggage...
Typo ?

and flying British Airways
Why only BA? The regular fast rack entrance lists lots of other carriers.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
I have just used the fast track lane from getting off the tram and it was great! Avoid all the escalators and the sand buckets and spades brigade!

Security was a lot quicker on Fast Track then it sometimes is. It’s a great advantage. Left the tram, went through security and was in the lounge in 15 minutes with my first glass of Castelnau!
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
Typo ?
Why only BA? The regular fast rack entrance lists lots of other carriers.
Thanks, I've duly corrected my post, it's not just BA passengers.
EsherFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:00 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
This post makes me homesick - 3 weeks since I last flew through Edi! I am looking forward the hire car thing finishing - it is a bit painful right now! Plus I learnt the better food is actually in the Aspire lounge, rather than the No1 lounge at about 1400! The massage AeroSpa place has moved to where the Crispy Creme doughnuts place used to be (near All Bar One). They are trying hard but bot it can get busy!

Other than that - I love EDI airport despite some frustrations!

aks120
Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
I ate solely in the BA lounge tonight whereas I normally go to no1 lounge and have my 1 complimentary dish then go to BA for some free pour.

However was short of time, the paninis they had were great! No doubt Aspires food was good as well but those with OW Status BA won’t see you going hungry!
aks120 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

here are some photos of the new Fast Track route for those without checked baggage
I was wondering this morning (having unusually used the tram in order to avoid RHS traffic) whether this is new or I failed to spot it before.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Since this is the main thread on Fast Track at Edinburgh Airport, and inspired by another thread, here are some photos of the new Fast Track route for those without checked baggage and flying British Airways (and other eligible airlines). It involves a stairwell from near the tram, car hire and hotel shuttle and car-park bus stations. If arriving on the main Edinburgh and Glasgow bus stances at the front door, the airport's own long stay car park bus, or using valet parking, then it is of less value since you would have to go out of your way to use this doorway, unless the airport is particularly busy. In which case you need to walk outside the terminal, in the direction of the traffic, to the end corner of the building.

Note that this route involves 4 flights of stairs to the upper level, almost directly to the Fast Track area, those who need to use a lift or escalator - or need to check-in baggage - will have to continue with the main route from the check-in area. This will also apply to those bringing friends or relatives to say goodbye at the airport, they best use the main route.

Once at the top of the stairwell the door layout will allow the the user to go in one of two directions. If the Fast Track overflow area is in use - so the main security hall is busy and the usual fast track lanes used for main security - the stairwell immediately brings you to a separate room for the security check. After clearing security there is then a passageway that brings the passenger to the end of the main security hall and then off to the duty free emporium. If Fast Track is being done in the main hall (so the airport is quiet or working at normal workload), the stairwell instead connects to a short corridor to the multi-storey car park (MSCP) footbridge, shown in the photo above, and then around to the main security hall.

This incidentally means that Silver and Gold cardholders using the MSCP or terminal surface parking no longer need to be concerned about use the footbridge without the fast track voucher sold in MSCP packages.
CWS, you’ve just made my week, I shall be following this on Tuesday evening as I head for the 19:05 to Gatwick (if anyone wantS to meet up pre or in the lounge, PM me). Does this explain why regular Fast Track is now bunged up with airport employees then?

Last edited by JP Flyer; Jun 22, 2018 at 7:39 pm
Old Jun 23, 2018, 1:23 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Since this is the main thread on Fast Track at Edinburgh Airport, and inspired by another thread, here are some photos of the new Fast Track route for those without checked baggage and flying British Airways (and other eligible airlines). It involves a stairwell from near the tram, car hire, hotel shuttle and independent carpark bus stations. It's also well located if parked in the mid term carpark, the walkway ends up by the door. If arriving on the main Edinburgh and Glasgow bus stances at the front door, the airport's own long stay car park bus, or using valet parking, then it is of less value since you would have to go out of your way to use this doorway, unless the airport is particularly busy. In which case you need to walk outside the terminal, in the direction of the traffic, to the end corner of the building.
The main long stay car park bus park right next to that new entrance so it’s absolutely perfect!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.