Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To see ourselves...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Aztec_Flyer
As I'm regularly quoted by my wife : “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
Does she have a lot of experience in the matter?

Beautifully written post OP
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
ln case anyone has missed the significance of the title of the OP's thread, it is a line from a Robert Burns poem called: 'To a Louse'.

(Which you may feel accurately describes the person referred to in this thread)

"And would some Power the gift to give us
To see ourselves as others see us"

(anglicised for the non-Scots reading this)
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:11 pm

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Lee_Again
+1 But I fear we know all we need to about muscat following that post.
Did you consider that it might have been tongue in cheek?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:22 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
Originally Posted by morges1
Which is why I asked whether Muscat was joking... but honestly, how hard is it to follow one's comment with a if that is what one means?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Aztec_Flyer
As I'm regularly quoted by my wife : “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
I like GBS* in a similar vein**:

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

* George Bernard Shaw, of course !
** Poss. apocryphal
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by morges1
No.

@:-)Did you see what I did there.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: BAEC HHonours SPG EK Skywards QFF VS flying club
Wouldn't it be ironic if the person themselves was scared of flying but just had a rather odd way of expressing it. I hope she found hubby in bed with the blonde next door when she came home. What an arse. Hope she has a really rubbish week too.

Some of the travelling public I have decided I hate on first sight. They will never do anything to endear me to them. Others I love and have a fantastic flight with.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:19 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
I don't get it.

The OP went round someone at the gate - DYKWIA?

That someone phoned her husband to say she's going to be delayed.

The plane took off.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Lioneye
I don't get it.

The OP went round someone at the gate - DYKWIA?

That someone phoned her husband to say she's going to be delayed.

The plane took off.
I think that the issue was the beahviour of that person as reported by the OP which you have missed out of your executive summary. I would hope that you could recognise it was not an acceptable way to behave.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
I think that the issue was the beahviour of that person as reported by the OP which you have missed out of your executive summary. I would hope that you could recognise it was not an acceptable way to behave.
It seems to have been fairly acceptable to everyone else.

To say she blocked the gate and then say he walked round her is a little difficult to understand how this is interpreted as unacceptable behaviour.

The bare feet - have seen this many times. Wouldn't do it myself but wouldn't write home about it.

Loud telephone manner - every train journey without fail (this is what QC20s were invented for!)............and the only alarming point is that we may have to suffer phone calls on all flights in the not too distant future.

The OP choice of words says a lot. Describing the woman's actions:-

bag fully extended
fully extended arm
forming a barrier to prevent anyone else from daring to push past
huffed her bag overhead
slouched into her seat
Up like a shot
whips out her phone
extremely loud conversation ensues under the pretence
Shouts of….
she snapped

Whereas the OP's good lady merely.............."made the gentlest of remonstrations"

Referring to anyone not at the front of the plane as "droves" and ruing the fact he didn't make her "get back in her box by brandishing a series of letters before or after my own name"

Hyperbole at its best.

I've never seen a better example of DYKWIA.

..........to see ourselves...........indeed.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:38 am

It seems to have been fairly acceptable to everyone else.

[snip]

I've never seen a better example of DYKWIA.

..........to see ourselves...........indeed.
You are right, must be the OP at fault here. Everyone else including myself has been taken in by the OP's clearly crafted word play, but you have seen right through it - well done you!

Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (just promoted - yippee!)
Originally Posted by crazy8534
When the time came I was secretly glad to play the special privileges card and walk around her.
Poster in peace!

What is a "special privileges card" and how do you get one?

I'm a lowly silver but SWMBO (who is a silver too) and I regularly travel in CE if we can get a good deal. That's purely personal preference for the flight as we clearly have lounge privileges. I am quite wide and find the extra inches worth paying a little more for.

But SWMBO doesn't like flying much as she suffers from slight claustrophobia, and we always have the discussion - to board early, get settled in, make sure there is room for your carry-ons before CE gets full of ET bags, or board late so she has the minimum time on the plane, then have the hassle of not being able to get to your bags in time to do the quick dart off the plane and through Immigration at the other end.

Her reasoning is that we have reserved seats and the plane isn't going to leave without us, so why get on early. It's not like some airlines where you get a drink as you sit down, is it.

My reasoning is that I want to get settled in but clearly I'm in the wrong.

When we travel ET we get on early as then even she can see the reason for getting the bags in the right locker!

So I guess the traveller mentioned in the original post is like me.

(Oh, and another thing. SWMBO does not like row 1 as she has to put her handbag in the locker for take-off, so we always have row 2. This has to be a female thing, right?)

Sorry for the ramble.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:58 am

You are right, must be the OP at fault here. Everyone else including myself has been taken in by the OP's clearly crafted word play, but you have seen right through it - well done you!

My unique and powerful powers of detection detect a hint of sarcasm in your praise.

Desist or I will cite some letters either before or after my name.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:04 am

My unique and powerful powers of detection detect a hint of sarcasm in your praise.

There was far more than a hint. I would imagine most of us on here all have letters before and/or after our names, not sure what that has to do with this discussion though.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by crazy8534
There is no happy end to this tale, no comeuppance where I pulled a DYKWIA of my own with a shiny card or told her to get back in her box by brandishing a series of letters before or after my own name.
Referring to anyone not at the front of the plane as "droves" and ruing the fact he didn't make her "get back in her box by brandishing a series of letters before or after my own name".
I would imagine most of us on here all have letters before and/or after our names, not sure what that has to do with this discussion though.
I can do far more than a hint too…………….

No go away or I will taunt you some more………………….. (Please don’t let me have to explain that one!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.