Pyjama in First - sizes and fit?

Old Oct 14, 2014, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Pyjama in First - sizes and fit?

I'm traveling to Oslo from JFK via LHR at the end of November in First. It's rather chilly I understand, compared to Texas . But not too cold (around 0 degrees C).

Instead of mail ordering long underwear for just a few days, is it possible to use the BA PJs as such? Do they fit snugly? Perhaps ask for a size smaller? Will they work well?

Generally when I travel first, I tend to just use my own PJs that I bring along, since I usually either find F airline PJs to either be the wrong size, or poor quality. I can also suit up just before getting on the plane after a shower in the lounge. So if I can use these PJs as temp long johns, then that would be one less thing to worry about.

Thanks!
Old Oct 14, 2014, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by bmchris
I'm traveling to Oslo from JFK via LHR at the end of November in First. It's rather chilly I understand, compared to Texas . But not too cold (around 0 degrees C).

Instead of mail ordering long underwear for just a few days, is it possible to use the BA PJs as such? Do they fit snugly? Perhaps ask for a size smaller? Will they work well?

Generally when I travel first, I tend to just use my own PJs that I bring along, since I usually either find F airline PJs to either be the wrong size, or poor quality. I can also suit up just before getting on the plane after a shower in the lounge. So if I can use these PJs as temp long johns, then that would be one less thing to worry about.

Thanks!
The pajamas come in 3 sizes, S, M, and L. They do not fit snugly and I would not try to wear the bottoms as long johns especially under jeans.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
if you want a "snug fit" go for ladies 60 denier tights or leggings, my other half swore by them when on manoeuvres.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:46 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.

Thanks!
Are you seriously suggesting relying on the provision of freebie pajamas instead of taking with you what you need? What happens if they don't have your size or if they don't fit well? It's an airline not a provider of quality undergarments.

And the average temperature is only 5C degrees less in Oslo compared to NYC in November so whatever you have in NYC should do you for Oslo.

And what's the significance of the reference to Texas?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!

The on-board tailor will adjust the F PJs for GGL/LTG and Prem pax, and make necessary adjustments in his small facility in the crew rest area during pre-departure drinks. Otherwise, it's a case of '3 sizes fit nobody', especially after washing.

Strangely, BA does not claim to provide underwear for those travelling in cold climates. a letter to Head Office may address this critical issue

(leaving TX via NYC? How will you survive in NYC, bmchris?)
Old Oct 14, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
I assume this goes hand in hand with the service provided on boarded to High Value passengers that includes a wash, dry, and fold for up to five items of clothing.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 1:50 pm
Suspended

the most critical point is that the BA pyjamas are cotton. the moisture that your skin emits will dampen the cotton and damp cotton wicks away body heat much more than bare, dry skin.
the only thing to use is either wool or synthetic. don't think that synthetic is a bad word these days as modern fabrics are extremely comfortable. not like in the 60s and 70s.
another factor is wind. freezing temp with sunshine and no wind is almost t-shirt weather whereas +10 deg C with a good breeze is really cold. you need to keep the wind off of your body. a decent jacket with cinches around the waist, collar, and cuffs is good.
unless you're going to be outdoors for extended periods, i would doubt you'll need thermal underwear. REI has good stuff if you do.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: baec, HHonours
Originally Posted by sapper188
if you want a "snug fit" go for ladies 60 denier tights or leggings, my other half swore by them when on manoeuvres.
We all used these as young Spr's on a long bridge gallop....#veryfetching

ss

Last edited by solwayspeedbird; Oct 14, 2014 at 2:20 pm Reason: spelling
Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
MsBTC got me 70 denier large size leggings that work a treat in -30 odd degrees. BA PJ's nah...
Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfmad
I live in Dallas. Not NYC. There's not much use for long underwear in Dallas. Especially as you generally go from building to car. Even walking in the infrequent snow, we don't wear long johns.

Naturally, if I need something, I'll buy it. But if I may not need it, I would rather not have to carry something I may not need, especially, if I can substitute something else (like an extra layer of clothing), in a pinch for an hour out playing in snow, or a 2 hour walk.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by golfmad
Are you seriously suggesting relying on the provision of freebie pajamas instead of taking with you what you need? What happens if they don't have your size or if they don't fit well?

Man, lose the abrasive tone - it's a fair question, and the top could be used as an undergarment, IMO.

It clear from the OP that Texas is the origin, what's with the 'tude? Sheesh.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:30 pm

I would be very surprised if many people here in the UK wear long underwear. If you are off to the moors and what we call mountains I suppose they may be needed but around London I think you'll find them very inconvenient as as soon as you go indoors or even on a bus you will slowly roast!

I live in a much colder place and even here few people wear long underwear routinely as changing once you come in from the cold is difficult or impossible.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GFL, EK Platinum
Do they fit snugly?
They do on me!
Old Oct 14, 2014, 9:23 pm

BA pyjamas are so baggy that it would probably be easier to wear them outside your jeans. This solves the taking on/off problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.