Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to exit T5 from Departures level?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
Originally Posted by KARFA
I am sure I heard her at the new terminal at BOM a few months ago.
Probably all systems from a Dutch company called Aviavox. If you listen to the T5 announcements, she has a very slight Dutch accent to her English. Clever technology that uses snippets of sound to generate announcements on the fly.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FenLandK
Probably all systems from a Dutch company called Aviavox. If you listen to the T5 announcements, she has a very slight Dutch accent to her English. Clever technology that uses snippets of sound to generate announcements on the fly.
Aha, I could never tell what the accent was. I don't think I guessed Dutch. Thanks.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by matthandy
Someone more knowledgeable may be able to provide more detail (or not). I don't know if we can really discuss why on an open forum.
"Because you can't do X (except when you can)" is the usual daft 'explanation' in these situations.

If this can happen then it's completely plausible that breaches can take place at airports.
Do you consider leaving a bag in the Flounge* for an hour - while the bag owner goes for a wander round the terminal to kill some time - as a "breach"?

* in the bomb-proof cupboard, and yes, I was given a numbered fob for it
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I have no plans or intention to get into an argument with you. It's been made clear that leaving bags unattended is not allowed. Think whatever you'd like to.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Aha, I could never tell what the accent was. I don't think I guessed Dutch. Thanks.
It would be nice if she cheered up a bit.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, AF Gold, some hotels...
I have no plans or intention to get into an argument with you. It's been made clear that leaving bags unattended is not allowed. Think whatever you'd like to.
Are you saying that giving your bag to the lounge attendant at T5 F-Lounge, getting a tag number for it, and wandering off to the lounge or shopping is not allowed? Technically that's leaving it unattended.

I don't think the OP was suggesting the hand luggage is just left on a random seat in T5 airside.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:21 pm

It could be like in Japan or Korea where you also get little tunes played as well to signify time to board, and door closing, and arriving at a stop.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Gold77
Are you saying that giving your bag to the lounge attendant at T5 F-Lounge, getting a tag number for it, and wandering off to the lounge or shopping is not allowed? Technically that's leaving them unattended.

I don't think the OP was suggesting the hand luggage is just left on a random seat in T5 airside.
I think the left luggage in the lounge is not really supposed to be used if you are actually leaving the building. I guess wandering around the shops is find before coming back, but leaving a bag and heading off in to central London is probably not. No, I don't know how they would tell you have left, but then I think we have established that no sane person would go airside to leave a bag in the lounge, then exit landside and head off.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:29 pm
Suspended

I think we have established that no sane person would go airside to leave a bag in the lounge, then exit landside and head off.
I agree no sane person would do that because of the hassle and time wastage involved, but not because of spurious security considerations.

If storing a bag landslde were to cost Ł50 or not be available at all, and the trip to the lounge and out took 10 minutes, then it would make full sense to do it. But it's not the case here.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:21 am

I think the left luggage in the lounge is not really supposed to be used if you are actually leaving the building.
Which building? T5A? Does that mean T5C is a no-go, then?

Seriously, either you've done security screening on something and deemed it safe, or you haven't, there really isn't a lot of middle ground. Suitcases don't get more dangerous by a mystical inverse relationship of the distance from their owner.

There is also the issue of the degree of security screening carried out by the fine staff at Excess Baggage Company downstairs in T5. Is their screening really as good as that up in Departures level? They certainly take less time about it. Do they check for laptops that won't power up? Do they check for >100ml liquids? Do they look through the lenses of cameras?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I thought that when T5 was opened.

But I've come to the conclusion that this was chosen so that the voice doesn't generate unnecessary stress. Not perhaps quite what you'd call calming or soothing, but a million miles away from the shouty announcements that are so familiar in other countries (mentioning no names) that inevitably have the effect of driving up your blood pressure even if you're first in the queue at the gate and have nothing more to do except walk on board.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Which building? T5A? Does that mean T5C is a no-go, then?
Oh come on, you are just splitting hairs now - T5 in total.

In any case, unusually for FT this thread seemed to have wandered well off the original question now and gone in to hypothetical discussions about something that really doesn't matter in the real world since no one is actually leaving bags in the lounges and then exiting to go on day trips to central London.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:51 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Suitcases don't get more dangerous by a mystical inverse relationship of the distance from their owner.
Best thing I've read here in ages!

Seriously, anybody who thinks that leaving an item of baggage with the baggage attendants (the clue is in the name here) in an airside BA lounge is the same as leaving 'unattended' luggage somewhere is just being pedantic and stubborn IMHO.

I have little time for those who buy into the generalised security paranoia and totally overblown fear that pervades society these days (especially in the US) and sadly allows those in power to extend even greater power and control over the modern world than they enjoy already.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HighLife
[...] allows those in power to extend even greater power and control over the modern world than they enjoy already.
And mostly allow their corporate friends to sell unnecessary security systems and personnel to airports, airlines etc, which end up bothering us un-necessarily

In any case, unusually for FT this thread seemed to have wandered well off the original question now and gone in to hypothetical discussions about something that really doesn't matter in the real world since no one is actually leaving bags in the lounges and then exiting to go on day trips to central London.
Well, the OP wanted to leave his bag in the lounge and asked the question so it is not completely hypothetical! The answer was that technically it was feasible, not operationally not a good idea. THEN only the thread was hijacked by goody-two-shoes who thought he should not do it anyway.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by britishchris
She's also installed in AMS
I heard her at another European airport recently but I've forgotten where.
LHR T2, MAN, a couple others I can't remember right now...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.