Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Baggage Guide

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Are the extra items restricted to strollers and cots, or would a bag fall under that same "extra item" allowance? We do tend to pack very light anyway, but being relieved of a bag at check-in would certainly make getting through security with the kids easier (for us and everyone around us!)
The more detailed travel agency guidance isn't much clearer on this point, it seems to restrict the two items to "pushchairs and infant seating". My best suggestion, unless someone working in check-in can clarify, is that you turn up with one or two items that fit the pushchair / children's pushchair description, but then ask the agent if they are willing to take other bags too. In theory, and certainly from LGW and LHR, they should take other bags, so long as your total baggage haul fits within the Basic fare overall rules.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:40 am

Hi,

If I buy a checked bag after purchasing an Economy Basic fare, will it generally be the same price (or less) than the incremental cost between Economy Basic and Economy Standard?

I ask because when I travel with my wife we only need to take one checked bag, but there is no option at booking time to select one person only.

Thanks
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by goldwannabe
Hi,

If I buy a checked bag after purchasing an Economy Basic fare, will it generally be the same price (or less) than the incremental cost between Economy Basic and Economy Standard?

I ask because when I travel with my wife we only need to take one checked bag, but there is no option at booking time to select one person only.

Thanks
It will be probably be a lot more to book basic and add a bag. From memory I think adding a checked bag is at least Ł25. When booking I often see the differential between basic and plus as less that that.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
sharing allowance

Two of us travelling, our allowance is two bags each. We’re arriving at the airport (LGW) separately, will I be allowed to check in 3 bags (in my name) given my partner will travel HBO? Or do we have to both be present?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: BA Silver
Travelling in more than one cabin

The guide says:
Travelling in more than one cabin
If you are travelling in more than one cabin, e.g. outbound in economy and return in business class, you will be given the more generous allowance for the whole journey.
I am flying F LHR-SFO and returning CW LAX-LHR (same ticket). Although I think I would struggle to use a 3 x 32kg allowance, YouFirst just told me that "...we no longer have a policy of most generous allowance applying to all flights. In this instance where you are travelling out in First and back in Club, you will have separate allowances per flight."

Does anyone know which is correct please?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by bernardh
Does anyone know which is correct please?
YouFirst. There has been a policy change: BA removes baggage Most Generous Allowance (MGA) for new bookings from 18 Oct 2017
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: BA Silver
Thank you. That's something I'd missed.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:12 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Just checking: Does a Sapphire travelling in ET on an non-HBO fare get 2x32Kg bags for herself and 2x32Kg bags for anyone on the same booking (obviously also not on HBO fare)?

Edit: Yes, I think so! https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ge-allowances#

Last edited by wobbly wings; Feb 16, 2019 at 1:31 am
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: Former DL PM that converted to AS MVPG when we moved to SEA
Question about flying in 2 different classes for outbound and return on BA. I thought that I read somewhere that if you book two different classes on BA on the same ticket (Economy Basic and Economy Standard) then the baggage rules for the higher class apply. Does anyone know if that is actually a trick to be able to book a long haul outbound leg in EB and the return in ES or PE? TIA
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by tulaneksig
Question about flying in 2 different classes for outbound and return on BA. I thought that I read somewhere that if you book two different classes on BA on the same ticket (Economy Basic and Economy Standard) then the baggage rules for the higher class apply.
There used to be a rule of this general kind, but it has been abolished. You now get the baggage allowance for what you buy in each direction.

This is the main thread on the change: BA removes baggage Most Generous Allowance (MGA) for new bookings from 18 Oct 2017

In any event, I don't think that the rule ever worked for buying a basic/HBO fare in one direction and a baggage-inclusive fare in the other.

There really aren't any ways of chiselling a free checked bag when buying a basic/HBO fare. The only free checked baggage you might get on a basic/HBO fare is to get part of your cabin baggage allowance checked for free in some circumstances.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:57 pm

Hello,

How stringent does BA tend to be on hand baggage? Specifically the handbag/laptop bag ... the limits are 16" x 12" x 6". I have a bag that is 17" x 10" x 5", and I'm wondering if this would get flagged, so to speak.

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:38 am
p78
Suspended

Programs: BA Silver, Aegan Gold, Hilton Diamond
quick question

redemption ticket to berlin 2 pax one with silver status

what I know allowance is 2 bag for pax if sombody have silver/gold card

my question is about weight limit
it 4 bag up to 32 kg each

or 1+1(32 and 23 kg) each?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:42 am
Suspended

from terms:
Silver/oneworld

Sapphire
One additional checked bag when travelling in economy

For everyone on your booking*, except on hand baggage only (Basic) fares, where there is no checked baggage allowance.

A weight allowance of 32kg (70lb) per checked bag

*You must be travelling on the booking for these benefits to apply. They apply to British Airways flights only and are not available to infant Members who are travelling without their own seat. Not available on group rate bookings.
but then I traveled 2 years ago I could only checkin 1 bag over 23kg per pax on redemtion ticket seceon bag had to be under 23kg

mayby somthing changed now....
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:23 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by p78
it 4 bag up to 32 kg each
Yes, so long as it was made as one booking, on BA metal, and there is a Silver / Sapphire traveller in the group, then the whole group gets 2 bags each for check-in. Each bag can weigh 32 kgs, including Avios bookings. It should say this on your e-ticket, though if the lead booker isn't Silver I can imagine circumstances where it would incorrectly say 23 kgs.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:14 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Short check

Hi,

I would like to know how easy will it be to short-check my bag to LHR before rechecking it in later for my long haul. I will be travelling from Valencia and I do have about 8 hours of layover in LHR. I want to pass some items to a friend who is meeting me at LHR. Since it will be liquid I will have to check it in.
What's BA policy on this - also wondering how accommodating are the BA [most probably 3rd party agents] at Valencia on this?

Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.