BA Baggage Guide

Old Oct 28, 2018, 7:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jms_uk
My apologies if the question wasn’t clear - flight is on BA metal (booked using QR points) and it shows as HBO in BA MMB.
That is probably an IT glitch, I have seen it before in this forum for a Club World reservation, where there is no such thing as HBO, and it did cause some issues at check-in since whatever it was that was showing in MMB had its source in the reservation system used by check-in. Now I don't know how QR handle this, but if there is an e-ticket from them with a baggage allowance then that should be good enough to convince the check-in agent, so best print that out if that is the case. An experienced agent will be able to see that you're not on a Basic ticket and therefore would have a baggage allowance - the precise allowance being determined by the route, cabin and status of the passenger. But a pure redemption ticket on BA metal would have a baggage allowance of at least 1 bag at 23 kgs.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That is probably an IT glitch, I have seen it before in this forum for a Club World reservation, where there is no such thing as HBO, and it did cause some issues at check-in since whatever it was that was showing in MMB had its source in the reservation system used by check-in. Now I don't know how QR handle this, but if there is an e-ticket from them with a baggage allowance then that should be good enough to convince the check-in agent, so best print that out if that is the case. An experienced agent will be able to see that you're not on a Basic ticket and therefore would have a baggage allowance - the precise allowance being determined by the route, cabin and status of the passenger. But a pure redemption ticket on BA metal would have a baggage allowance of at least 1 bag at 23 kgs.
Thanks, c-w-s!

Went back to the QR ticket and it actually shows 0 baggage allowance

Same is on AY MMB, but if I look it up on RJ, I get this:

Is it worth getting in touch with BA in advance to confirm [I normally travel HBO anyway, although this is one of the rare occasions where I'll be checking in one, possibly two bags - OWE for the second, if needed], or should I go back to QR and ask them to 'correct' this? Considering how long it took to get a ticket in the first place, I am a bit hesitant to do that.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jms_uk
Is it worth getting in touch with BA in advance to confirm [I normally travel HBO anyway, although this is one of the rare occasions where I'll be checking in one, possibly two bags - OWE for the second, if needed], or should I go back to QR and ask them to 'correct' this? Considering how long it took to get a ticket in the first place, I am a bit hesitant to do that.
For once, I'm not really sure what to suggest. I don't think BA will touch the ticket since it was issued by QR. And from what little I know about QR's customer service, I'm not sure I would want to ask them to reissue the ticket either. It may be fine on the day too - it may just be a display issue. What is the worst that can happen? You get asked to pay for the bags? And then I think you would be OK to claim the baggage fee back from BA (not QR) on the basis that you redemptions are not HBO / Basic tickets. An experienced agent would be able to see it is a redemption ticket and would hopefully know the score. I guess the other idea going through my head is if you do OLCI, at that point the ticket has fallen to BA's control, so if OLCI goes to a payment screen you can then call up and have a conversation with BAEC about it. If it was a WTP, CW, First or CE ticket then you would have an easier conversation.

I don't know if any of the QR forumites can add anything here? (Though mostly they don't seem to be QR members......)

This is assuming your Emerald number is definitely on the booking, though that is only part of the issue here, you may want to try removing it and reinserting it via the Finnair website.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Good morning - first time poster in this BA forum. My wife and I will be traveling CDG-LHR-JFK on AA J Class Award tickets. The flight will depart CDG at 415pm arriving 425pm. The LHR-JFK leg will depart the next morning affording us the opportunity for dinner in the city (my wife did not want to go to football). We will be checking luggage through, however, will we be required to pickup luggage from CDG-LHR leg and re-check the following AM for the final leg? Perhaps a really simple question, but we haven't done this before.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by george 3
Good morning - first time poster in this BA forum. My wife and I will be traveling CDG-LHR-JFK on AA J Class Award tickets. The flight will depart CDG at 415pm arriving 425pm. The LHR-JFK leg will depart the next morning affording us the opportunity for dinner in the city (my wife did not want to go to football). We will be checking luggage through, however, will we be required to pickup luggage from CDG-LHR leg and re-check the following AM for the final leg? Perhaps a really simple question, but we haven't done this before.
It depends on the flight times, when does your fight arrive into LHR and when does it leave the next day
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by aidy
It depends on the flight times, when does your fight arrive into LHR and when does it leave the next day
We arrive at LHR at 430pm and depart the following morning at 1150am (give or take a few minutes).
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by george 3
We arrive at LHR at 430pm and depart the following morning at 1150am (give or take a few minutes).
Then it's entirely your option whether to collect the bags at LHR or to through-check them to JFK. The bags can be through-checked so long as the connection time is no more than 24 hours.

Your departure will be scheduled for 1150, unless it's scheduled for 1145 or earlier or 1155 or later! At LHR (and for that matter at most places I go to), scheduled times are always at multiples of 5 minutes.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Then it's entirely your option whether to collect the bags at LHR or to through-check them to JFK. The bags can be through-checked so long as the connection time is no more than 24 hours.

Your departure will be scheduled for 1150, unless it's scheduled for 1145 or earlier or 1155 or later! At LHR (and for that matter at most places I go to), scheduled times are always at multiples of 5 minutes.
Thank you very much for the information, including the five minute increments ! Cheers.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
I have a SFO-LHR-FCO ticket. I will not continue to FCO but I want to stop at LHR (I'm flying to EDI on another ticket).
Can I send the luggage from SFO to LHR only or it will have to be checked through to FCO?

I remember reading something similar on Flyertalk but I cannot find the thread.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by eugeniod1995
I have a SFO-LHR-FCO ticket. I will not continue to FCO but I want to stop at LHR (I'm flying to EDI on another ticket).
Can I send the luggage from SFO to LHR only or it will have to be checked through to FCO?
Your bag will be checked through to FCO unless you have a long stop in LHR and BA warn you that if you want the bag short-checked they may reprice your ticket. If your ticket to EDI is also on BA and would be unusable if you take the FCO segment then BA will probably detect this and cancel it.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:00 am

I will then travel with hand luggage only.
And my ticket to EDI is actually on BA. Will they detect it if I don’t go to the desk and just check-in online?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:12 am

I will then travel with hand luggage only.
And my ticket to EDI is actually on BA. Will they detect it if I don’t go to the desk and just check-in online?
AA is very good at detecting impossible bookings but BA may be less good at it. The process runs on the reservations so I don't think that when and how you check in will make a difference
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:33 am

Well... I can only risk it now.
Or maybe I could cancel the BA ticket to EDI and buy it on Flybe?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:26 pm

Well... I can only risk it now.
Or maybe I could cancel the BA ticket to EDI and buy it on Flybe?
It's generally a good idea not to use the same airline but, if you are in a position to pay for a last minute ticket and take the train, for example, you could just wait and see what happens.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:23 pm

Wouldn’t they let me board the flight to EDI or it’s something that would arise at San Francisco?
The first two legs of the booking are on Finnair (FCO-HEL-LAX).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.