BA Baggage Guide

Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA 1M, AA Platinum, HA Pualani Gold, KAL Morning Calm, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Hand Baggage Only Fare & Sapphire Benefits

I'm Platinum on AA (OneWorld Sapphire) and have purchased a "hand baggage only" BA fare LHR-FRA ticket; my AA number is on the ticket and it allowed me to select my seat free of charge. Will I also be allowed 2 free checked bags as a Sapphire benefit or does this fare not recognize that benefit? Am trying to determine if I need to pre-pay for luggage or if it will be complimentary.
Thank you
K
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:34 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kaneohe0850
I'm Platinum on AA (OneWorld Sapphire) and have purchased a "hand baggage only" BA fare LHR-FRA ticket; my AA number is on the ticket and it allowed me to select my seat free of charge. Will I also be allowed 2 free checked bags as a Sapphire benefit or does this fare not recognize that benefit? Am trying to determine if I need to pre-pay for luggage or if it will be complimentary.
Thank you
K
hand baggage only fares (aka basic fares) do not include any checked bag allowance at all regardless of your status.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Aloha Kaneohe0850,

The sapphire benefits ( including lounge access) do not apply to luggage on hand baggage only fares so you will have to pay for checked luggage for LHR -FRA

Regards
TBS
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA 1M, AA Platinum, HA Pualani Gold, KAL Morning Calm, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Thanks to both of you, I'll see if I can pre-pay online.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:37 pm

Sigh...
I bought a ticket from Iberia, IB 075_ stock with Iberia flight number, LHR-MAD-ALC
Basic economy fare, i.e. no luggage included but as BA Sapphire I should be entitled to one bag if
it's operated by Iberia, but not by BA ?
When I bought the ticket from Iberia.com it said that both flights were operated by IB.
Iberia.com MMB now says that that the first flight IB3179/BA520 is operated by BA (?)
I called Iberia and they confirmed that.
However BA MMB says it is operated by Iberia (?), and that is also what BA CS said (although they were Clueless
regarding bagage allowance)

The question is, what will they see at the Airport, LHR T5?

IB MMB says:
Luggage allowance for the first flight 0, for the second flight "1 piece(s). Max. 23 kg and 158 cm. For being: EN_Iberia Plus Oro"
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:59 pm

Hi all, my first post to the forum.

I am trying to find out what the size limitations are for checked baggage. I read on the guide in the initial post that larger items of up to 190cm x 75cm x 65cm (75in x 29.5in x 25.5in) can be carried as over-sized items. BA does not charge for oversize bags providing they conform to their weight allowance. However, if the bag size exceeds this upper limit, BA will not accept it at the check in desk and it will need to be shipped separately as cargo.

Although I can't see this anywhere on the BA website. The closest I can find is the same measurements but for sporting goods. I called BA and they are insisting no item of checked baggage can be bigger than 90 x 75 x 43cm (35.5 x 29.5 x 16in).
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Welcome to FT, hk291!

You may want to have a look at this recent thread: British airways oversized baggage

The relevant website page page appears to be this one, even though on its face it applies to sporting goods and musical instruments.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Kaneohe0850
Thank you
K
Originally Posted by KARFA

hand baggage only fares (aka basic fares) do not include any checked bag allowance at all regardless of your status.
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Aloha Kaneohe0850,

The sapphire benefits ( including lounge access) do not apply to luggage on hand baggage only fares so you will have to pay for checked luggage for LHR -FRA

Regards
TBS
According to BA.com https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...age-allowances

Travelling on other airlines

If your journey includes a flight with an airline other than British Airways, your checked baggage allowance may be different:
  • If every flight in your journey has a BA code (e.g. BA1234) you will get British Airways’ checked baggage allowance, even if some or all of the flights are operated by other airlines (so-called 'codeshare' flights).
  • If every flight in your journey has another airline’s code, you will get that airline’s baggage allowance.
  • If your journey includes a mix of BA and other airline codes (e.g. AA1122 or IB3210) you will get the allowance of the most significant carrier – usually the airline operating the longest part of the journey.
I'm looking at booking AA6189 which is a BA operated SFO-LHR flight. So as an AA Platinum (=Oneworld Sapphire) will I get AA's baggage allowance for this flight with a HBO/Economy Basic ticket? And will I get lounge access?
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
Sigh...
I bought a ticket from Iberia, IB 075_ stock with Iberia flight number, LHR-MAD-ALC
Basic economy fare, i.e. no luggage included but as BA Sapphire I should be entitled to one bag if
it's operated by Iberia, but not by BA ?
When I bought the ticket from Iberia.com it said that both flights were operated by IB.
Iberia.com MMB now says that that the first flight IB3179/BA520 is operated by BA (?)
I called Iberia and they confirmed that.
However BA MMB says it is operated by Iberia (?), and that is also what BA CS said (although they were Clueless
regarding bagage allowance)

The question is, what will they see at the Airport, LHR T5?

IB MMB says:
Luggage allowance for the first flight 0, for the second flight "1 piece(s). Max. 23 kg and 158 cm. For being: EN_Iberia Plus Oro"

So, at Heathrow I was told "no free bag, you'll have to pay", I insisted it should be free, guy behind the counter calls someone
"bla bla bla... they confirm you'll have to pay" end of discussion

I went to the tickets&reservations (name?) counter, was told immediately "yes, you'll get one bag for free, who told you otherwise?"

What a farce... these BA/IB problems...seems like they're getting worse
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
I hope this might be the right thread to ask:

Is it possible that award ticket [purchased with OW partner's miles, books in X class], has no baggage allowance [BA MMB shows hand baggage only]?
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Flying from SEA-LHR-ATH in F and CE. We are overnighting @ LHR Sofitel and catching our flight to Athens early the next morning. ( 18 hour layover) Will we be able to check our bags all the way through to ATH from SEA? Or do we need to collect our bags at LHR and go through customs since we will be " entering" England to stay at the hotel.

Thanks.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by david55
Flying from SEA-LHR-ATH in F and CE. We are overnighting @ LHR Sofitel and catching our flight to Athens early the next morning. ( 18 hour layover) Will we be able to check our bags all the way through to ATH from SEA? Or do we need to collect our bags at LHR and go through customs since we will be " entering" England to stay at the hotel.
You have the choice, either is possible, the maximum time allowed is 24 hours as scheduled. The default is that your bags are through checked but that can be altered to collect on arrival in LHR if you wish. See also the replies to your previous questions here:
Can we check our luggage all the way through w/ this itinerary?
SEA-ATH: Overnight at LHR vs. late night connection
Old Oct 27, 2018, 7:10 am

@corporate-wage-slave

Have you seen award tickets booked as HBO?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 7:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jms_uk
@corporate-wage-slave

Have you seen award tickets booked as HBO?
Apologies, I didn't respond earlier because I couldn't work out the airline concerned. If it's AA and you have status then you don't need to worry. If it's Flybe ditto, regardless of status.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Apologies, I didn't respond earlier because I couldn't work out the airline concerned. If it's AA and you have status then you don't need to worry. If it's Flybe ditto, regardless of status.
My apologies if the question wasn’t clear - flight is on BA metal (booked using QR points) and it shows as HBO in BA MMB.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.