Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
I believe the allowance in WT+ is 2 x 23KG
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...age-allowances
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by jamespi
Flying LHR to YUL in Y on Monday. Confused by the checked baggage allowance showing in MMB - recently been demoted to Bronze (yes, yes, I know) from Silver. I know that I used to have 2 checked bags on flights to Canada when silver, but BA.com says 1 bag max 23kg for Bronze/Blue on directs to Canada (you get an additional if connecting). MMB is telling me I have two free checked bags both out and return.
Did you make the booking before you dropped from Silver to Bronze?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:58 am

No Checked baggage for World traveller plus/premium economy on long haul

Hi, I just booked a direct flight to the Seychelles in premium economy and it says it is a hand baggage only fare. I booked a flight and hotel together direct on the BA website, the economy fare offered included 1 x 23KG bag yet by upgrading to premium economy for an extra Ł250 per person return did not give any options on grade of tickets even when selecting fully flexible. I just assumed this is a fault on the website as premium economy comes with 2 x 23kg allowance. I have never seen this before.

Does this mean the flight plus hotel packages do not include baggage allowance in premium economy anymore? Trying to make the fare compete with Emirates holidays but without the essentials?

Has anyone seen these fares before?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Did you make the booking before you dropped from Silver to Bronze?
Nope, was a fairly recent booking and I had definitely been demoted at that point. However it was one of the first bookings I have made through our new corporate TA. I have another trip in EuroTraveller to ATH next week and that only shows 1 bag (also booked via TA). All very odd. For a trip with BA Holidays next month to UVF (booked personally), I am in WTP in the way out with 2 x 32kg and Club World on the way back with the same.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Agodfrey
Hi, I just booked a direct flight to the Seychelles in premium economy and it says it is a hand baggage only fare. I booked a flight and hotel together direct on the BA website, the economy fare offered included 1 x 23KG bag yet by upgrading to premium economy for an extra Ł250 per person return did not give any options on grade of tickets even when selecting fully flexible. I just assumed this is a fault on the website as premium economy comes with 2 x 23kg allowance. I have never seen this before.

Does this mean the flight plus hotel packages do not include baggage allowance in premium economy anymore? Trying to make the fare compete with Emirates holidays but without the essentials?

Has anyone seen these fares before?
I had a transatlantic CW fare book as HBO, which turned out not to be the case. So the wonderful world of BA IT can do this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by S_W_S
I believe the allowance in WT+ is 2 x 23KG
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...age-allowances
Sadly, that statement is true but did not explain why I ended up with that allowance. A bit of digging suggests that I am on a BA "Charity" fare, which appears to be unusually generous. Can't find a write up anywhere of what said fares are supposed to allow. Irony being I am going to ATH on monday morning with 6 bags of gear and only one check in item on a normal flexible ET fare! Extra bags almost as much as the ticket...
Old Jun 22, 2018, 6:26 am

A rather silly question ...

But regarding the info-graphics in #3 , why is there an ambivalence between the pictured amount of suitcases
and beneath there is a different number pieces (always 1 more).

Eg
Club World pictures 3 suitcases, but says 4 pieces
What is the story behind this ? I really tried to figure this out reading that thread, but sorry, I still dont get it
(maybe it is my lack of proper english, which is to be fair not my mothertongue)
Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Looking for some corporate (CWS?) wisdom here.

Doing JER-LGW-MLA, with a night-stop at LGW. We get to LGW at 1455 after the first sector, and the MLA is a 0615 departure the following morning.

I assume JER bag-drop will check the case through to MLA, and it will lurk somewhere at LGW overnight. My concern is whether the bag may get ‘lost/forgotten’ at LGW. Given the VERY early start, I would like to avoid having to bag-drop at LGW with their cut-off times [whatever they are - T-45 min?].

I'm trying to the balance risk v. getting up even earlier than I will be already!!
Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by T8191
I assume JER bag-drop will check the case through to MLA, and it will lurk somewhere at LGW overnight. My concern is whether the bag may get ‘lost/forgotten’ at LGW. Given the VERY early start, I would like to avoid having to bag-drop at LGW with their cut-off times [whatever they are - T-45 min?].
Yes it can go all the way through from JER to MLA in this scenario, but you are correct to say that this is a balancing judgement, risk versus opportunity. An optimist would say "generally it works" - and statistically it does. A pessimist (a liberal mugged by reality perhaps) would say "it's not worth the candle". It's going to be an individual decision, shaped by the mindset of the passenger, I don't think there is a right or wrong way to look at this. I can't say I've seen that many posts here of LGW baggage handling errors - a few on the delay on returning baggage perhaps - and LGW is more of a 24 hour airport than LHR. And 45 minutes is indeed as late as you would want to leave it for baggage drop.

Since I suspect this is a short trip, there is always HBO, UncleT......
T8191 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
How did I guess you would say HBO?

Being a risk-averse sort of chap, I think I'll short-check and do the even-earlier start to re-check.

My only ever Bag-IRROPS was connecting DUB-LGW-JER, although very quickly recovered by LGW (case arrived on the doorstep about 2 hours after we got home, IIRC). I'm slightly less confident that Malta would be that quick, especially given the relatively infrequent flights.

Last edited by T8191; Aug 12, 2018 at 4:46 am
Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Just to add a data point to this in case it helps, earlier in the year we made use of being able to check your bags in the afternoon before. We checked our bags in around 1600 for the MLA flight the next morning (around 0630), they arrived at MLA without issue.
T8191 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 1:50 am

Just wanted to check, though I think the answer is yes from reading other threads. I'm heading out from LGW later today and want to check my hand luggage in due to carrying liquids (but compliant in every other way: size, weight etc.) Will this be possible even though I have not received the proactive email nor SMS this time?

I'd have hoped with bank holiday weekend coming I would get that SMS!
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by Tim nice but dim
Just wanted to check, though I think the answer is yes from reading other threads. I'm heading out from LGW later today and want to check my hand luggage in due to carrying liquids (but compliant in every other way: size, weight etc.) Will this be possible even though I have not received the proactive email nor SMS this time?

I'd have hoped with bank holiday weekend coming I would get that SMS!
Yes, I did that on Sunday.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by Gazkane
Yes, I did that on Sunday.
Great, thank you very much!

EDIT: I also did this successfully - thanks for your advice!

Last edited by Tim nice but dim; Aug 24, 2018 at 6:53 am
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:45 am

Oversized luggage

Hello everyone!

Just doing final prep for a trip to SJC coming up and have noticed that, at some point in the last year, the passage on the checked baggage allowance page has changed from:

You can take larger items of up to 190 x 75 x 65cm (75 x 29.5 x 25.5in) for an additional charge. (Currently, we waive this charge so you do not pay it.) Any items larger than this require shipping as cargo.
to

You can take larger items of up to 190 x 75 x 65cm (75 x 29.5 x 25.5in) as long as they weigh no more than your permitted baggage weight allowance. If the bag weighs more than your allowance, you will be charged extra at the airport. No bag can weigh more than 32kg. Any items larger than the above dimensions will require shipping as cargo.
Comparing the sentences, they've added a good clarification relating to the permitted weight. However, they've omitted that there is a charge that is waived.

The sentence reads as though nothing has changed (oversized bags are free within weight allowance), but does anyone have any recent experience of this policy in practice?

Last time, my huge camping gear bag sailed through at SFO without a hitch, but this time I'm worried about awareness when checking in at GOT, and SJC on the way back!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.