BA Baggage Guide

Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by shady
Yesterday Mrs shady was flying out of PHX and her checked luggage got measured by the check in agent. She was flying in J so the agent said the weight is no issue, only the dimensions that can not exceed 62'' combined.
This was at the AA desk, as she was connecting to a BA flight in LAS, however the agent explicitly said BA is enforcing this.
I was not able to locate this on BA site anywhere. Was this just a lack of knowledge of the agent?
Originally Posted by Globaliser
One thing I have no experience of is whether or how a 62-inch restriction compares to what AA will allow, nor whether AA might have some practical limitation on accepting a bigger bag even if BA would theoretically take it itself.
By some strange coincidence, the standard AA allowance is indeed 62 inches. BA's allowance is as above. AA work on adding all the dimensions together to get 62, but BA look at each measurement per dimension as mentioned by Globaliser.

So I think this was an agent not fully au fait with BA's allowances. It may well be required if (e.g.) a separate AA booking was involved. BA typically will not measure a conventional looking item, but will weigh it, and will perhaps give a few 100 grams over in leeway at CW level.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
One thing I have no experience of is whether or how a 62-inch restriction compares to what AA will allow, nor whether AA might have some practical limitation on accepting a bigger bag even if BA would theoretically take it itself.
BA allows up to 35.5x29.5x16 inches for a total of 81 inches for a standard checked bag whereas AA does not specify individual dimensions but requires the total to be no more than 62 inches. It would appear that the rejection was based on AA's rule.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I just booked and checked in for a GVA - LHR flight tomorrow using RFS (Avios). Online check-in said I only have a 1 bag allowance, and my boarding pass says the same. I've never had this problem before as a silver card holder - in the past my boarding pass always has specified 2 bags.

Since I do have 2 bags to check in, should I forsee any problems at the airport?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Does your boarding pass properly state your Silver membership?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:47 pm

Does your boarding pass properly state your Silver membership?
Yes it does
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:48 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I think we have seen this occasional glitch before, the booking will also say only one bag at GVA too, however GVA has very experienced agents on the whole so they will immediately see it as a mistake an allow the second bag, both at 32kgs. Just have your Silver card or e-card on the App to hand when you check in. The most extreme version of this I can recall was a mysterious HBO allowance for Club World for Golds, but again the agents had no problem in that particular case.
musehead likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The most extreme version of this I can recall was a mysterious HBO allowance for Club World for Golds, but again the agents had no problem in that particular case.
I remember that one. It was quite worrying but the agents at ORD didn't seem to find it remarkable or meaningful. It was a multi-segment trip as well.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by musehead
I just booked and checked in for a GVA - LHR flight tomorrow using RFS (Avios). Online check-in said I only have a 1 bag allowance, and my boarding pass says the same. I've never had this problem before as a silver card holder - in the past my boarding pass always has specified 2 bags.

Since I do have 2 bags to check in, should I forsee any problems at the airport?
I turned up at GVA ready to show my silver card and explain, but the check-in agent did not mention anything and tagged my two bags with no problems. Nothing to worry about.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:49 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Baggage allowances for Brazil have changed. @Prospero you may want to update your wonderful graphics at the start of the thread.

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...&link=main_nav
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:06 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
We are flying SEA-LHR then the next morning LHR-TLV. Our stopover is less than 24 hours. Can we just check bags through from SEA to TLV? I thought this was a possibility. I can't find the thread on stopover luggage. Thanks for the help
Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by ijkh
We are flying SEA-LHR then the next morning LHR-TLV. Our stopover is less than 24 hours. Can we just check bags through from SEA to TLV? I thought this was a possibility. I can't find the thread on stopover luggage. Thanks for the help
Anything under 24 hours on the timetable is a connection rather than a stopover, and in the case of LHR (and most airports outside North America) this is fine for through checking. You may be offered short checking if you prefer, and one other option is that one person checks through, the other person checks short. This then gives you perhaps a bag of essentials for the overnight stay. But yes, you can through check, short check or a bit of both. If your allowance is OK for this, you can also add a bag at LHR for LHR-TLV only. This is assuming it is under one reservation, not two bookings.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Subcard
I’m flying with 3 friends in first and we have an allowance of 4 bags each.

We will each be arriving at LHR at different times and one of my friends has 9 bags.

Will he be able to check in 9 bags by himself and make use of our 16 bags in total or will he need to check in with the rest of us to split the luggage between us?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by GTR56
Will he be able to check in 9 bags by himself and make use of our 16 bags in total or will he need to check in with the rest of us to split the luggage between us?
Latter
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:29 pm
zsc

Programs: QR Silver / BA Silver
Hi, need some clarification as I believe the BA forum would be better placed to answer my question - I will be travelling KUL-DOH-ARN on QR in J and am planning to purchase BA for the ARN-LHR leg. On the QR leg I have an allowance of 40kg with no piece restriction, and was wondering if this applies too if I purchased a HBO fare for the BA leg? My assumption is that as QR is the most significant carrier in this travel itinerary, such that the QR baggage allowance applies, however, it is on two separate ticket PNRs.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:38 pm

If you buy a separate ticket, you buy a separate hold luggage allowance. Two separate contracts as BA would put it. So you need to buy a ticket capable of taking the baggage that you are likely to be shipping. Most Significant Carrier isn't relevant over two transactions. Now it is possible that KUL will check your bags through to LHR, and it is also possible that BA won't spot it. But it is also possible that BA will offload your luggage until you have paid for the excess baggage. Basic fares only allows you to check in hand baggage, as an alternative to, and not additional to, your hand baggage allowance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.