Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Baggage Guide

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: BA Silver
I'm a Gold member flying on a Euro Traveller avios booking tomorrow with 4 others, who are either Blue or not EC members. MMB is showing everyone to have 2 bags @ 23kg each. However, according to the BA website, everyone should be allowed the upgraded 32kg allowance as they are on the same booking as myself.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...age-allowances

This is different to the advice on the front page guide which suggests only the Gold card holder benefits from the extra weight allowance.

Is this a policy change? Anyone had experience of this recently?
Old Jul 1, 2016, 12:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Hi there,

Long time reader, first time poster. Last Tuesday I had a "problem" with the AA Business check-in staff in SFO.

I was flying SFO-ORD-DUB in Y - BA code AA metal -, and when trying to check in the second bag, she told me I had to pay $83. I was shocked, and asked her kindly to check again, as I thought I had an allowance of 2PC.

She came back saying the same, that my booking was showing only 1PC. She offered me to pay and then, once back home, make a claim to BA for the $83. As I´ve recently become Silver and it was 3am in the morning, I wasn´t 100% sure and didn´t want to risk losing that money, so I declined and brought the second piece on board (it was a duffle bag).

Now reading here, and also on the BA website, it says:

Allowances on other airlines

If your journey includes a flight with an airline other than British Airways, your checked baggage allowance may be different.

- Providing every flight in your journey has a BA code (e.g. BA1234) you will get British Airways’ checked baggage allowance, even if some or all of the flights are operated by other airlines. Many of the flights we sell on ba.com for other airlines fall into this category and are known as codeshares.
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...#otherairlines
And also, when going to the AA link in the same page, it states:
Complimentary bags

In some cases, you won't have to pay the baggage fees for up to 3 bags. Find out if this applies to you.

[...]
1st and 2nd checked bags are complimentary for:

AAdvantage Platinum
oneworld Sapphire members
[...]
http://www.britishairways.com/jba/aa...d-baggage.html
which make me think I was right and could have checked in the 2nd bag for free. Can anyone advise? Is this a frequent problem which will make me get this info printed along with my booking every time I fly?

Thank you very much!
Old Jul 1, 2016, 2:50 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk 4lB3R70, welcome to the BA forum. It's good of you to visit us here, I hope you will continue to be active in this forum, it's only thanks to contributions like yours that there is anything to see here.

Codeshare aren't brilliant from a checked luggage point of view, you always get the operating airlines' allowances, so AA in this case. As it happens, as a Sapphire, you should have got 2 bags, that is well known in the USA, did you show your Silver card to the agent? But she was right to offer you the chance of paying then claiming, that would have been the quick way through, but it really would be odd if she saw the card and still gave you only 1 bag. Day in, day out she would be seeing AA Platinums asking for 2 bags, and it's scarcely complicated to remember that BA Silver is the same.

You mention only recently being Silver, it makes me wonder if the AA system was still showing you as Bronze, there is a timelag, particularly in that area since AA are on a separate system to BA. However there is a mechanism to check status from AA work stations, so if you had shown the card, or your App e-card, they could have confirmed you really were Sapphire.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to Flyertalk 4lB3R70, welcome to the BA forum. It's good of you to visit us here, I hope you will continue to be active in this forum, it's only thanks to contributions like yours that there is anything to see here.

Codeshare aren't brilliant from a checked luggage point of view, you always get the operating airlines' allowances, so AA in this case. As it happens, as a Sapphire, you should have got 2 bags, that is well known in the USA, did you show your Silver card to the agent? But she was right to offer you the chance of paying then claiming, that would have been the quick way through, but it really would be odd if she saw the card and still gave you only 1 bag. Day in, day out she would be seeing AA Platinums asking for 2 bags, and it's scarcely complicated to remember that BA Silver is the same.

You mention only recently being Silver, it makes me wonder if the AA system was still showing you as Bronze, there is a timelag, particularly in that area since AA are on a separate system to BA. However there is a mechanism to check status from AA work stations, so if you had shown the card, or your App e-card, they could have confirmed you really were Sapphire.
Thanks for your prompt reply and your welcome message c-w-s.

I did show her my eCard on the app (the physical was in the mailbox as soon as I got back to London). Also, my BPs were showing Sapphire (I accessed the lounges in both SFO and ORD with no problems). I also showed her the baggages allowances from the BA App (which once I became Silver, started showing 2PC).

She said the only valid thing it was what she could see on the screen. And the screen was showing only 1PC.

It was a bit of a letdown, as it was my first flight being Silver, and I was looking forward to getting rid of both pieces. But, oh well, now I know what to do next time.

Thank you so much!!
Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:52 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by musehead
I'm a Gold member flying on a Euro Traveller avios booking tomorrow with 4 others, who are either Blue or not EC members. MMB is showing everyone to have 2 bags @ 23kg each. However, according to the BA website, everyone should be allowed the upgraded 32kg allowance as they are on the same booking as myself.

This is different to the advice on the front page guide which suggests only the Gold card holder benefits from the extra weight allowance.

Interesting spot! I've definitely had the 'gold member only' restriction on 32kg bags when travelling with family before, so it does look like a change. I'd also be interested in people's recent experiences here as I am travelling in a group of 9 at the end of the month, and it would be nice if the 32kg applied to everyone now. More so for the way back given the vineyards we were planning to visit!
Old Jul 1, 2016, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by musehead
However, according to the BA website, everyone should be allowed the upgraded 32kg allowance as they are on the same booking as myself.

This was noticed in early April: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...t-flights.html - I seem to recall at least one other post about this, possibly from a BA person, but I can't find it at the moment.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Urgh, isn't this confusing! I need to ask an opinion - I *think* I know the right answer, but need to double check.

I've got a single multi-city booking for myself and a friend via BA website - travelling WT+ from Newcastle>London>NewYork>LasVegas>London>Newcastle .

With WT+, I believe we get 2x 23kg allowance. As I'm also BAEC Silver (but my friend is not), I believe we BOTH(?) get 2x 32kg (as per http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...frequentflyers ).

Straightforward so far... *However*, my NCL>LHR>EWR are done in one day. Then, a week passes before my JFK>LAS leg (it's an American Airlines flight but with a BA7840 codeshare). Then another week passes before my LAS>LHR>NCL return leg.

Now, as both our tickets and all legs are covered under a single booking code, I believe that I get the BA checked baggage allowance? http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...#otherairlines

And as I'm BAEC Silver, the BA checked baggage allowance is 2x 32kg for both myself and guest?

If this is the case, does that mean American Airlines will respect the BA baggage allowance when we check in for the NewYork>LasVegas leg - i.e. 2x 32kg, or do they only respect the ticket allowance (which is 2x 23kg)?

I'm thinking we can bring a combined 2x 32kg. But I'm not 100% sure on that, so wanted to double-check!
Old Jul 6, 2016, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL, AA PLT, US, HH Gold, BW Diamond, Avis PP, Choice PLT
Originally Posted by conklaven
Yeah I agree. I do believe they are mistaken.

However I just reconfirmed it with them asking them to mark it on my reservation and they said it was. So I think I'm gonna keep the Twitter conversation as record and just reference it at check I. If there is any issues
Crazy update to my story.. I actually called BA to confirm once more my baggage allowance and they told me I actually get 3 bags at 32kg.

Knowing that in no way could this be accurate I asked the agent to make a note on my tickets (I am flying this route three times between now and December)

Well I got to the airport with my three bags all around 65lbs. Agent asked how many bags I was checking. I said three and that was it. Got checked in and Agent asked me one question about weight and I said that i was told over the phone by BA this was my allowance and then he went over to a supervisor and came back with my luggage tags.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 3:02 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by StanYau
Urgh, isn't this confusing! I need to ask an opinion - I *think* I know the right answer, but need to double check.
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum, StanYau, it's great to see you here, particularly if you are from the North East.

The webpage indeed now says that the extra weight limit is shared by everyone in your booking. This has gone in different directions over the years: it was once definitely allowed, then the website changed and it was the cardholder who got the extra weight (but the extra bag went to everyone on the booking, if applicable). But it's not very clearly stated online so I think you are safe there.

However I know that getting this from AA is going to be haphazard, I would not assume you will actually get this at check-in. Clearly if the bag had been through checked from NCL or London there would be no issue, but I foresee issues if checking within the USA, they will allow 2 bags - that's not normally disputed, make sure you have your BAEC card with you - but I can see the 32 kgs will be problematic since not many AA travellers would get that.

I have to say, 32 kgs x 2, plus hand luggage, is a huge amount to take with you, I manage for about a month on 12 kgs.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum, StanYau, it's great to see you here, particularly if you are from the North East.
Cheers for the reply, CWS! I'm maybe not quite from the North East as you think it (North East of Scotland, as I live in Aberdeen!), but not too far from NCL, all things considered! I actually need to be there to meet someone a day prior to my US flight, hence departing from NCL.

I was a bit worried as to how AA might treat my BA baggage entitlement. From the wording on the BA website, it looks like 2x 32kg bags per passenger will be the allowance. You're right, I doubt that I'll have 2x 32kg bags per person, but it's likely that I'll have 1x over 23kg and 1x under 23kg, with the second passenger 1x over 23kg. (Got a few gifts to bring over to the US...) This'd be fine under BA, but not sure how AA will treat this...

Could be 64kg per person total, could be 46kg per person total, could be 2x 32kg (matching BA exactly), or could be 2x 23kg (following AA guidelines). If the latter, then we'd likely be stung for $100 each - given the recent collapse of the GBP against the USD, I'd really like to avoid this...!

Not sure how it'll pan out - but from your comments it sounds like we might potentially be stung for overweight baggage!
Old Jul 7, 2016, 6:34 am

Have looked into this further (and have also pestered BA via Twitter)...

From the BA website, it looks as if we get BA checked baggage allowance if the flight has a BA code. http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...age-allowances

From their Twitter response, it also seems that (via OneWorld) the allowance is 2x 32kg also.

Of course, that's what BA says via Twitter and its web site. Whether American Airlines will respect any of that when I check in will be a completely different matter!
Attached Images   
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:02 pm

New development for travel to/from Japan from 1 July 2016:

World Traveller flights to/from Japan will join Brazil and West Africa in allowing 2 checked bags at 23 kgs instead of the usual one bag. Golds/Emeralds will get 3 bags at 32 kgs. This applies to both Haneda and Narita. BA.com has been updated as per Economy Allowances:

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...age-allowances

This is Joint Business Agreement feature, so applies to Finnair, JAL, BA codeshares such as from Frankfurt to Narita.

This partially updates post number 3 in this thread.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 7:46 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Silver
Hi all,

Okay, I think I know the answer to the question I'm about to ask, but wanted to be doubly-sure before getting stung at the airport next week!

LGW - PUJ, two adults and one child, all in Club World.

MMB states checked baggage allowance = 3 x 23kg each
BA website allowance guide states 2 x 32kg each

My assumption from reading this thread is that the latter guide is correct, and not MMB?
Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Hi, randalf ... Let me work backwards on that! I have no idea why MMB is giving you that 3 x 23 answer, unless you're a secret Gold/OWE and entitled to a 3rd bag!!

As a Blue, in CW, you just get the TWO pieces each at >32kg each. Assuming your child is not an infant, then that's a further 2 pieces [Family total is thus 6 x >32kg]. That's a LOT of swimwear, sunscreen, scuba kit and evening wear!!

Scroll down to the table, ignoring the MMB link:

I suspect that when BA simplified the baggage rules they didn't perform an effective Editorial on the various parts of the website. Are you surprised?

Last edited by T8191; Aug 5, 2016 at 8:12 am
Old Oct 16, 2016, 12:03 pm

Programs: BAEC
Hi All,
Thank you for the amazing form, I've learn alot in the past couple of weeks just by silently reading.

I will appreciate your assistance understanding baggage allowance for World Traveler on BA.

I'm taking a flight from SFO to TLV (connection at LHR, SFO --> LHR --> TLV). based on Expedia search engine it seems that 2nd bag will cost around $180.

Yet, based on BA website, if i understand this correctly and here is where i will be needing your assistance, as baggage allowed on flight is 1 Baggage item - Extra baggage, which is the total 2nd baggage item should cost $90 - $100.

Link is provided below
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...l-economy.html

How do you understand what is written on this link. how much do you believe extra luggage shall cost?

TIA,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.