BA Baggage Guide

Old Nov 17, 2014, 3:00 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Hands Mensing
Just a quick query - more than interest than anything but got a flight booked in F (non status). MMB says I am allowed 3 * 32kg (51 lbs) max which is fine except 32kg = 70lbs, is this a BA IT snafu or is it the grey area of the excess bag weight not being charged. It is highly unlikely I am going to be over the usual 23 kg in weight but don't want to be stung at NCL if I am - only likely to be taking one bag.
MMB will normally show 23kg (51lb) allowance rather than 32kg (70lb) allowance, I have not seen it show 32kg (51lb).

You are entitled to 32kg per bag. See: http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...age-allowances
Old Nov 17, 2014, 3:05 am

Programs: BA Executive, Virgin FC
Nux,

Thanks for the confirmatory reply - just for the record this is copied and pasted from MMB - this is on both the dom and TATL of my outbound legs.

Checked baggage per passenger

Adults and children: 3 bags at 32kg (51lbs) per bag
Old Dec 3, 2014, 5:35 am

Programs: CX*G, AF*G; BA, UA
I'm flying a BA ticket/flight number on EI metal transatlantic. I'm wondering what the luggage rules are for OW Sapphire?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:00 pm

Programs: JGC Sapphire
Example 1
Flying from Berlin to Lisbon via London (all within a single sub-area) on British Airways and TAP, the MSC would be TAP as the second sector, LHR-LIS is longer than the first, TXL-LHR.
Shouldn't the MSC be BA in this example

For travel within a IATA Tariff sub-area, the carrier performing carriage on the first international sector.

Berlin/London/Lisbon are all within the same sub-area (IATA Area2 - Sub Area Europe)
The first international sector would be TXL-LHR operate by BA.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:44 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
What happens when status changes mid journey?

Looking at booking a journey in WTP for my partner that will straddle his TP collection year end and he will drop from Silver to Bronze in that time. Will the silver baggage allowance apply for the entire journey? Or Silver allowance outbound and Bronze on the return?
Old Jan 16, 2015, 12:43 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Great information. But I have a question, but not sure if it is relevant here.

For ex-Eu flights, what time does bag-drop open? In particular at Dublin and will be travelling CE/CW. I believe (rightly or wrongly) that you can check in at any time on the day at the airport at LHR but what about elsewhere?
Old Jan 16, 2015, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Looking at booking a journey in WTP for my partner that will straddle his TP collection year end and he will drop from Silver to Bronze in that time. Will the silver baggage allowance apply for the entire journey? Or Silver allowance outbound and Bronze on the return?
Is it a very long trip? He will not drop from Silver to Bronze when his TP collection year ends, but only when his Silver card expires.

If his year end is, for example, 8 March 2015, and he flies out on 6 March and flies back on 13 March, he will still be Silver for both flights. His Silver card would remain valid until 30 April 2015.

The situation you ask about would only arise if he were, for example, to fly out on 6 March and fly back on 13 May.

So are you sure that there is even a potential problem here?
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:19 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by madfish
Great information. But I have a question, but not sure if it is relevant here.

For ex-Eu flights, what time does bag-drop open? In particular at Dublin and will be travelling CE/CW. I believe (rightly or wrongly) that you can check in at any time on the day at the airport at LHR but what about elsewhere?
Most outstations only allow checkin/bag-drop 3 hours before the flight.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 7:07 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Globaliser

So are you sure that there is even a potential problem here?
I went back and looked at the dates, and I had not looked at the card expiry date, it is before that date. His TP year end is July 8, the trip was out July 1, back July 10. Card expires Aug 31, so should be no problem.^
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:42 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Hi All

Good guide Prospero. But, am I being delusional? Did Silver card holders at one point not get an additional bag on top of the standard allowance of cabin flown?

The reason I ask is that have just booked a WTP return GLA-PEK and in MMB and e-ticket receipt states 2 bags at 23kg. Now I know that is wrong for starters and confirmed on the baggage pages on BA.com and on here, but I could swear that Silver also got an extra bag on top of cabin allowance or have they done away with that and increased the weight to 32kg?

Safe & Happy travels

S
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:51 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Saltire74
Hi All

Good guide Prospero. But, am I being delusional? Did Silver card holders at one point not get an additional bag on top of the standard allowance of cabin flown?

The reason I ask is that have just booked a WTP return GLA-PEK and in MMB and e-ticket receipt states 2 bags at 23kg. Now I know that is wrong for starters and confirmed on the baggage pages on BA.com and on here, but I could swear that Silver also got an extra bag on top of cabin allowance or have they done away with that and increased the weight to 32kg?
No they didn't.

Silver gets guaranteed two bags (except HBO fares) and 32kg/bag.
Gold gets guaranteed one extra bag (except HBO fares) and 32kg/bag.
See: http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...age-allowances

So if the cabin you're booked in has two bags as standard such as WTP then you will receive no additional piece allowance as silver.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:30 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by nux
No they didn't.

Silver gets guaranteed two bags (except HBO fares) and 32kg/bag.
Gold gets guaranteed one extra bag (except HBO fares) and 32kg/bag.
See: http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...age-allowances

So if the cabin you're booked in has two bags as standard such as WTP then you will receive no additional piece allowance as silver.
Must have been delusional then . Anyways, problem solved. Managed to UuA my return to CW and now allowed three bags throughout the whole itinerary according to MMB .

Safe & Happy travels

S
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT., Marriott LT GLD
Does connecting to a Business/First flight on a OW Partner override HBO?

On 2 different PNRs. I am a flying ORD-LHR in AA Business, continuing on BA to CDG with a HBO fare. The return is ORY-LHR-ORD, with the AA segment in Business and HBO on BA.

I understand that my AA EXP/OW Emerald does not override a HBO.

However, I do not know if being in AA Business will allow me to through check a bag. I am OK with HBO on the way out, but on the return via ORY, I would like to check 1 bag (a case of wine).

Does connecting to a Business/First flight on a OW Partner override HBO?

Last edited by planecrashlaw; Apr 21, 2015 at 11:50 am
Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
The guide here seems incorrect for Sapphire/Silver on WT flights to India.
It shows here 3*32KG but BA website has no mention of 'additional bag' for Silvers. Normal allowance is 2*23 for WT
Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:57 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Acid
The guide here seems incorrect for Sapphire/Silver on WT flights to India.
It shows here 3*32KG but BA website has no mention of 'additional bag' for Silvers. Normal allowance is 2*23 for WT
Thanks, error duly corrected.

From BA.com:
Executive Club Silver and oneworld Sapphire members
  • A checked baggage allowance of two pieces in any World Traveller, Euro Traveller and Domestic cabin for the cardholder and any customer travelling on the same booking (excludes hand-baggage only fares and group rate bookings).
  • A weight allowance of 32kg (71lb) per checked bag in any class of travel for the cardholder only

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.