Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Baggage Guide

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2022, 5:58 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
It’s been a while since my last question on this thread! How many bags is a Silver member entitled to on a CE-CW itinerary? Standard allowance being 2x32kg bags. No mention of additional allowance on BA but on the OW site says an additional bag up to 23kg can be checked in based on the piece system. MMB shows allowance as 2x32kg bags. Any extra bags thereafter is payable.

Grateful for clarification. Many thanks
Old Jan 22, 2022, 12:18 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Saltire74
It’s been a while since my last question on this thread! How many bags is a Silver member entitled to on a CE-CW itinerary? Standard allowance being 2x32kg bags. No mention of additional allowance on BA but on the OW site says an additional bag up to 23kg can be checked in based on the piece system. MMB shows allowance as 2x32kg bags. Any extra bags thereafter is payable.

Grateful for clarification. Many thanks
It can vary by route. But let's say GLA-LHR-JFK. It's 2 bags for Silver to 32 kgs. Golds/Emerald get three checked bags to 32 kgs. The extra Sapphire / Silver allowance kicks in in Economy by allowing a second bag where usually one is allowed, plus the extra weight allowance.

Best source for information is:
ba.com/baggage
where you can query your precise scenario.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 3:37 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It can vary by route. But let's say GLA-LHR-JFK. It's 2 bags for Silver to 32 kgs. Golds/Emerald get three checked bags to 32 kgs. The extra Sapphire / Silver allowance kicks in in Economy by allowing a second bag where usually one is allowed, plus the extra weight allowance.

Best source for information is:
ba.com/baggage
where you can query your precise scenario.
Thanks CWS. Must have missed that memo then. The last few times I flew CW as Silver we used to get an additional bag on top of the free allowance. Any idea when that changed?
Old Jan 23, 2022, 7:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks CWS. Must have missed that memo then. The last few times I flew CW as Silver we used to get an additional bag on top of the free allowance. Any idea when that changed?
It hasn't changed in the last 10 years or so. If I had to try to reconcile your comments, the extra bag is a benefit when in World Traveller, giving 2 bags rather than 1. Or it's the Gold benefit.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 7:39 am
Moderator, Emirates

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It hasn't changed in the last 10 years or so. If I had to try to reconcile your comments, the extra bag is a benefit when in World Traveller, giving 2 bags rather than 1. Or it's the Gold benefit.
I bow to your superior knowledge but I am absolutely positive that the last time I flew CW (DME-LHR) about 4 years ago I had a 3 bag allowance and I’m absolutely sure I wouldn’t have paid for it (and haven’t been gold for a few years). Anyway, baggage least of my worries. Just been notified of my flight being cancelled and moved from NBO which puts a spanner in the works for testing at my destination. Plan D now!
Old Jan 23, 2022, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I bow to your superior knowledge but I am absolutely positive that the last time I flew CW (DME-LHR) about 4 years ago I had a 3 bag allowance and I’m absolutely sure I wouldn’t have paid for it (and haven’t been gold for a few years).
In late December 2014, the BA site said the following (taken from Baggage Allowance in Silver and Gold):
Additional allowances for frequent flyers

Executive Club Gold and Silver members and oneworld Emerald and Sapphire members receive additional checked-baggage benefits when flying on British Airways flights.

Executive Club Gold and oneworld Emerald members
An additional free checked bag in any class of travel for the cardholder and any customer travelling on the same booking (excludes hand-baggage only fares and group rate bookings).
A weight allowance of 32kg (71lb) per checked bag in any class of travel for the cardholder only.

Executive Club Silver and oneworld Sapphire members
A checked baggage allowance of two pieces in any World Traveller, Euro Traveller and Domestic cabin for the cardholder and any customer travelling on the same booking (excludes hand-baggage only fares and group rate bookings).
A weight allowance of 32kg (71lb) per checked bag in any class of travel for the cardholder only.
So two bags, not three, has been in place for at least the last seven years. (AIUI, BA is currently more generous than this on weight, though - IIRC, at present everyone on the same booking gets the 32 kg allowance.)
Old Jan 27, 2022, 9:54 am

Programs: BA GGL
It might not be the right place, but I wanted to double check that for a BA Silver (OWS) travelling on either an AA booked and operated flight, or a BA booked and AA operated flight (i.e. BA number) that in any class (even on Basic Economy), myself and anyone on my booking would receive 2 free checked bags?

The wording is here but doesn't mention anything about HBO fares (Basic and Main Cabin).

Is the weight limit 23kg or 32kg?
Old Jan 27, 2022, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by c1223
It might not be the right place, but I wanted to double check that for a BA Silver (OWS) travelling on either an AA booked and operated flight, or a BA booked and AA operated flight (i.e. BA number) that in any class (even on Basic Economy), myself and anyone on my booking would receive 2 free checked bags?
The wording is here but doesn't mention anything about HBO fares (Basic and Main Cabin).
https://www.oneworld.com/travel-benefits
Sapphire Privileges
  • Access to Business Class lounges
  • Access to Business Class priority check-in
  • Access to preferred or pre-reserved seating*
  • Priority on waitlists and when on standby*
  • Priority boarding
  • Extra baggage allowance***
  • Priority baggage handling**

***Extra baggage allowance for Sapphire frequent flyers
As a Sapphire frequent flyer, the following special checked baggage privileges will apply when you fly on oneworld airlines:
  • On international or domestic itineraries using the baggage allowance "weight" system - 15 kgs in addition to the ticketed Economy Class baggage allowance.
  • On international itineraries, that include domestic sectors, using the baggage allowance “piece” system – one additional bag*, weighing up to 23kgs, up to a maximum of two pieces.
  • On purely domestic itineraries, using the baggage allowance "piece" system, for tickets with no ticketed baggage entitlement - the assurance of one piece of checked baggage, weighing up to 23 kgs.
Customers travelling in First and Business Class cabins will, in most cases, receive an even greater free checked baggage allowance.

Note: This benefit is not available on British Airways’ 'Hand Baggage Only/Basic' fares.

*In accordance with the individual policy of the oneworld airline operating the flight.
**Priority baggage handling is not currently available on flights operated by British Airways.

Exceptions may apply.
The very good BA forum AJB thread (look at the graphics)-->Guide to AJB Basic Economy fares

Edit
c1223's post in the AA forum on this trip with the flight details.---->Baggage on BA booked flight, with OWS, connecting to BA

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 27, 2022 at 4:12 pm
Old Jan 27, 2022, 3:45 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by c1223

BA OWS in BA or AA marketed, and AA operated flights you would, see the table at the bottom of post 1 in the guide to these fares

Guide to AJB Basic Economy fares
c1223 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 10:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold for Life
I have a flight at 17.30.....can I drop my check-in bag at lunchtime so I can use the lounge? I cant remember if there is a restriction on how early bags can be dropped for check-in
Old Feb 19, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by JSM8
I have a flight at 17.30.....can I drop my check-in bag at lunchtime so I can use the lounge? I cant remember if there is a restriction on how early bags can be dropped for check-in
assuming your flight is from LHR then yes. For non status there was a limit if 3 hours before the flight but that has gone. Forcstatus never a problem to check yhe bags anytime on day of flight

Other places less so and would depend when checkin opens
Old Feb 27, 2022, 5:30 am

Programs: CX Macro polo Silver, AA platinum
Pretty interesting to find out that when I input my CX gold (sapphire tier) for my BA European flight, it shows 2 pieces each 23kg.
However, when I changed to QR gold (also Sapphire tier) for the flight, it shows 2 pieces each 32kg. It looks like Privilege club member gains better and more allowance for BA flight... Does anyone realize this difference?
Old Mar 21, 2022, 8:54 am

when i do the online check in, it asks 'how many bags will you bring' - why are they asking? what are they gaining with this knowledge - one of the options is 'im not sure'
Old Mar 21, 2022, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by momoflyingguy
when i do the online check in, it asks 'how many bags will you bring' - why are they asking? what are they gaining with this knowledge - one of the options is 'im not sure'

Hi.
​​​​probably to get a general idea of number of bags and potentially weight( based on an assumption) .
I generally put 1 unless I know for sure it will be 2 but there has been absolutely no problem checking in at the desk with more bags than you have put down ( up to your baggage allowance limit)

Regards

Tbs
Old Mar 21, 2022, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
​​​​probably to get a general idea of number of bags and potentially weight( based on an assumption)

Tbs
do you mean they would take more cargo if they see not many people are taking luggage? how can they adjust that in the T24 check in frame?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.