Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Any experience getting a preferred seat due to medical need?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2014, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

A little back story. I stubbed my foot because my 2 year old son tripped me. I ended up needing surgery. I had surgery 2 weeks ago and am not able to put any weight on my foot for the next two weeks. Then I have limited walking ability for another month.

I have a flight booked AUS->LHR->BUD in November for business. My company will only book coach for this flight. I told my Dr about the trip and he was concerned and said I would have problems with my foot swelling on that long of a flight. Is it possible with a Dr note to get BA to give me a bulkhead seat assignment now? My TA has me booked in row 22 on the way there and 21C on the way back.

I have flown the 787 flight once before in June and was fortunate enough to get exit rows by the restroom but I don't qualify now due to my condition. I don't have any status as I only fly one or two times a year to Europe for business.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by ummgood
A little back story. I stubbed my foot because my 2 year old son tripped me. I ended up needing surgery. I had surgery 2 weeks ago and am not able to put any weight on my foot for the next two weeks. Then I have limited walking ability for another month.

I have a flight booked AUS->LHR->BUD in November for business. My company will only book coach for this flight. I told my Dr about the trip and he was concerned and said I would have problems with my foot swelling on that long of a flight. Is it possible with a Dr note to get BA to give me a bulkhead seat assignment now? My TA has me booked in row 22 on the way there and 21C on the way back.

I have flown the 787 flight once before in June and was fortunate enough to get exit rows by the restroom but I don't qualify now due to my condition. I don't have any status as I only fly one or two times a year to Europe for business.
How would a bulkhead prevent your foot from swelling? (I'm not being facetious, I genuinely can't see how!)

Though assuming you're not self employed, surely your company should pay for an upgrade if it's medically necessary?

I've never had to use it, but the BA policy is to reserve necessary seats for people with disabilities in advance free of charge. If you can convince them it's medically necessary you might even be able to get it without a doctors note.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by callum9999
How would a bulkhead prevent your foot from swelling? (I'm not being facetious, I genuinely can't see how!)

Though assuming you're not self employed, surely your company should pay for an upgrade if it's medically necessary?

I've never had to use it, but the BA policy is to reserve necessary seats for people with disabilities in advance free of charge. If you can convince them it's medically necessary you might even be able to get it without a doctors note.
Agree with the above. Talk to your company about your medical needs, and see about getting booked into CW, under the circumstances. That way, you will be able to keep your feet up, and avoid swelling.

Otherwise, call BA, explain the situation, and ask about the bulkhead. Best of luck and safe travels.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by callum9999

Sorry I didn't say. In order to reduce swelling I have to elevate my foot above my heart. I have spent countless hours the past two weeks laying down with my foot elevated on pillows. If I have a bulkhead I can stretch out my leg and put it up to elevate. If I did that to the seat in front of me I am sure I irritate the person ahead of me and I don't want to inconvience anyone else.

i would rather try this route first before asking for an additional 3k USD for an upgrade ticket.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:00 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
A little back story. I stubbed my foot because my 2 year old son tripped me.
You're like an inverse Henky.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

As for the OP, I think CW is the way to go.

I don't think a bulkhead seat would enable you to achieve what you're trying to do anyway, and it would certainly make for a very unpleasant flight for those sitting near you.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Sorry I didn't say. In order to reduce swelling I have to elevate my foot above my heart. I have spent countless hours the past two weeks laying down with my foot elevated on pillows. If I have a bulkhead I can stretch out my leg and put it up to elevate. If I did that to the seat in front of me I am sure I irritate the person ahead of me and I don't want to inconvience anyone else.

i would rather try this route first before asking for an additional 3k USD for an upgrade ticket.

Are your employers aware of all of this ?

cs
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by cornishsimon

cs
An excellent question. Make sure your employers know what you need in order to be able to travel. I, too, don't think the bulkhead is going to meet your needs.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Help a Yankee out. I don't get the reference
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cornishsimon

cs
They are aware of my surgery and I have been working from home. I had my Dr appt on Friday after work so I haven't had a chance to talk to them about it.

I should be much better for the flight he just said I might have swelling still on a 10 hour flight. He recommended I try to get a seat with some more legroom. that is all I am trying to see if I can do. I will talk to my manager on Monday though.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

If you need to elevate your foot above your heart then you're going to have to prop it on the bulkhead for the whole flight. Surely that isn't going to work?

Alternatively you could sit upside down, head on the bulkhead and foot on the headrest...

Or, I would speak to your boss if I were you.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
This:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...e-revenge.html

It's not exclusively British (humor or otherwise) but is exclusively British Airways forum.

I would not expect to obtain a preferred seat for free in your circumstances; purchasing a seat in CW would seem to be the best.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
This is a reference to a thread started by our beloved poster henkybaby, who had a unique, henkyesque, and somewhat controversial solution to the children misbehaving in airport lounges problem.

For some strange reason, things got a little heated and the thread was closed, so I don't think I'm supposed to post a link to it.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paul4040
If you need to elevate your foot above your heart then you're going to have to prop it on the bulkhead for the whole flight. Surely that isn't going to work?

Alternatively you could sit upside down, head on the bulkhead and foot on the headrest...

Or, I would speak to your boss if I were you.
I didn't say I had to have it above my heart the entire flight. In fact I will probably be ok but he wanted me to at least have some room so I could cross my legs at waist height (which is impossible if there is a seat in front of me.). Or put my foot up somewhat in front of me. I was able to completely stretch out my legs in 30D on my last flight and I was curious if BA could assign me a seat like that now because of this issue now instead of waiting until two weeks out and hoping I can snag one like last time. I also had 30c which has a ton of legroom but that seat is exit row so I don't feel right paying to upgrade to that seat this time around.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
This:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...e-revenge.html

It's not exclusively British (humor or otherwise) but is exclusively British Airways forum.

I would not expect to obtain a preferred seat for free in your circumstances; purchasing a seat in CW would seem to be the best.
Ok thanks I wasn't expecting anything I was just curious. I have had 10-15 European flights (I know most of you guys have me beat) and I have never tried any funny business to get an upgrade or even ask. I know BA reserves these seats for infants and families and people with needs so I didn't know how someone qualified. That is all.

Oh and that is crazy about Henky. I guess I am an alternate version.

Last edited by ummgood; Sep 20, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.