Wiki Posts
Search

BA Failing to Process a Refund

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2014, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond

I cancelled a BA trip back in April and I've just realised that BA didn't process the refund - it hasn't appeared on my credit card statement. So BA have had £3,500 of my money for 5 months.

I've rung BA and they have confirmed that the refund was not processed correctly, so they are dealing with it "as a priority". Since I first contacted them a week ago the money still hasn't appeared on my credit card. This doesn't feel like it's being treated "as a priority".

Has anyone else experienced problems with refunds?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 2:03 am

Programs: GGL, BA lifetime Gold, Many Hotel Sparkles
I've not had a refund problem normally, five working days or sooner

If you didn't miss the money after five months think of it as a surprise
Old Sep 20, 2014, 2:58 am

Programs: BA GGL
I once got called up saying my itinerary had been changed and if I cancelled it'd be for free. I ended up getting the £200 cxl fee withheld and had to chase 3 times - each time they assured me it'd be sorted imminently and wasn't.

In the end they threw some Avios at me too (without me asking...) - think it was about 10k or so Avios for £400 but probably more in recognition of chasing time than monetary value...
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
If you've not noticed £3,500 missing for six months, you need to get a new accountant!
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, BA Amex PP, Virgin Gold
I'm still waiting for a promised £70 refund, some six weeks after I was told that it had "been put through"
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by LondonElite
If you've not noticed £3,500 missing for six months, you need to get a new accountant!
Indeed! How can you not notice £3.5k missing?!
Old Sep 20, 2014, 4:27 am

Programs: BA GOLD, Tufty Club, Virgin Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, ICH Platinum Ambassador. MAS Gold
Originally Posted by Genius1
Indeed! How can you not notice £3.5k missing?!
More money than sense springs to mind
Old Sep 20, 2014, 4:38 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
I cancelled a UUA booking on Thursday morning and somewhat to my surprise the cash was back on my card by Friday.

Maybe it was because it was a cancellation under the 24 hour cooling off rule.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 4:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The US DOT has fined some USA carriers for failing to process refunds promptly. You might want to check whether the UK or EU have any similar protections for consumers.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 5:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
I cancelled within the 24 hour cooling off period a couple of weeks ago, was promised within 5 days. Didn't happen so I called Newcastle, they said 5 - 10 days and I then contacted the BA rep on here they chased on my behalf and by magic the money was on the card the next day! Maybe worth a PM to the rep on here !!
Old Sep 20, 2014, 5:22 am

Programs: BA Silver
Posting it on twitter and copying the BA account will probably speed things along, but it might depend on how many followers you have.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond

I do accept it's a bit remiss of me not noticing £3.5k for 5 months, but I have a very expensive wife in tow so money comes and goes on a regular basis. That combined with director loan transfers between personal and company accounts means if you believe BA will refund some money I tend to trust them to pay it.

At least I picked it up in the end...
Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG, TK Elite, IHG Amb & HH Diamond
Yes, BA refunds can be problematic. I often get the "we made a mistake and will send it back to refunds department again..." (starting the 10-12 day refund period again)
Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:24 pm

Tell them if you don't get the refund with X days you'll charge back the original transaction via your credit card provider? (If you have the trail of supporting documents/emails, your card provider will no doubt back you up)

That might focus their mind(s)
Old Sep 20, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by billinghamn
I do accept it's a bit remiss of me not noticing £3.5k for 5 months, but I have a very expensive wife in tow so money comes and goes on a regular basis. That combined with director loan transfers between personal and company accounts means if you believe BA will refund some money I tend to trust them to pay it.

At least I picked it up in the end...
She's going to love that comment Best check the cutlery draw in the morning

H

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.