Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seating Queries: First

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:59 am

Honeymoon booking to SCL, so would like a middle pair on the 787.

Both 1EF and 2EF are available.

2F seems to be a bassinet seat according to the seat map. So as not to risk not getting split, am I correct in thinking that we're better off booking 1EF, even though it seems from previous posts that 2EF are better?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by shadowline

2F seems to be a bassinet seat according to the seat map. So as not to risk not getting split, am I correct in thinking that we're better off booking 1EF, even though it seems from previous posts that 2EF are better?
Are you sure 2F is available?

Only been in the 789 F cabin once (2K) however re your question it shows as blue like it's available for normal selection, I did a dummy booking which states this, but if you try and place an adult there you normally get a pop up stating something along the lines it's a protected bassinet seat and you can't sit there. If for some rare reason it did stick then you'd potentially run the risk of being booted out so personally as a couple I'd stick with 1E/F but bear in mind you'd have to cross the galley to be next to each other.

Alternatively choose 1F and 1K the latter being available if you are Gold or 2 A/E (no status requirement) and then you can swap middle for windows if one of you wants to look out. Or even at T-72, usually T-48 hours or OLCI 2 F may become available if you wan't to sit in those seats. It can also be changed at the airport bit takes some tapping away but it can be done. (bit like trying to choose 64A on the 747 as an example)

There's no buddy seat for dining in the 789 F cabin for info and finally there's a very good TR here of the SCL route written by no other than CWS which is a very good read and full of helpful info.

New BA Routes: London Heathrow (LHR) to Santiago de Chile (SCL)

Pete

Last edited by PETER01; Oct 2, 2018 at 3:45 am
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:04 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
On the 747 in F 1a/k are occupied, as is 4e/f.
Therefore I think 5e/f is the best option, despite galley proximity.
It's a day flight, we want to chat and want to be sat together. Only other logical pairing is 5a/e, I think, but that seems too distant?
2a/k also available but, again, daytime flight with chat puts them too far apart... Although a window seat each would be nice!
Am I making the best decision with the row 5 pair?
​​​​​
If you want to chat and be sat close by eachother I would go with 5E/5F.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:19 am

SCL is a good route - I did a BA F return last month. With all that is said about Mixed Fleet, both crews that I had (outbound and inbound) were excellent. The outbound crew particularly good, and took the top spot if I had to split hairs. Probably helped by the excitement of getting to spend a decent amount of time downroute, which all of the crew were particularly looking forward to. The prospect of visiting the Andes, drinking fabulous wine at local vineyards or skiing (as some did) definitely helped lift the mood. It also probably helped that I was staying at the BA (and AA) crew hotel for the 3 weeks I was there so met many crews cycling through. Let's just say the CSM particularly enjoyed herself on the Friday evening at the beginning of Chilean independence celebrations, which we laughed and spared her blushes on the flight she was running on the Sunday

I do not think I saw a full F cabin on the flights I checked, so you will most likely have good service also. Enjoy the trip - fantastic country for a honeymoon ^
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: BA GGL

Well, that didn't work...
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: BA GGL

Right, that's better!

My selection, to avoid the bassinet (2F), would be 1A/E across the aisle. Same cabin member of staff for more consistent service. Yes, you're on the toilet side (and there's only one!) but it's not too close by.

That said, I've flown this route return in F once and we were positioned in 1E/F out and 2E/F return, I didn't notice any difference between those pairs really - except the inconsistent staffing on left/right sides (you're not served as a couple), hence I'd split over the aisle now (as I'm doing to Tokyo next year in 1A/E).

It's a long flight, at 14hrs, so you'll be seat sharing, snoozing, eating, watching lots of stuff. The more I've been lucky to purchase/upgrade to F with Avios the more I've found the cross-aisle seating to be less of a bother in a couple's setting.

Perhaps mix it up: 1A/E out (best to avoid noise and it's a late flight IIRC), 1E/F return (also a night flight, but earlier departure will get noisy dinner out the way for most sooner).

Last edited by mmxbreaks; Oct 2, 2018 at 9:36 am
Old Oct 5, 2018, 6:49 am

@PETER01 - thanks for the insight. I'm claiming 2F as available as it looks available, I haven't actually tried selecting it. The lack of any other side-by-side pairs in the cabin means I'm a bit worried of selecting it then getting booted out in the next 11 months! I will keep an eye on 2EF and if I can select them at the airport I will go for it. Thanks for the pointer to the @corporate-wave-slave 's TR. Very detailed, very useful!

@rossmacd - lovely to hear it's a good one. So much to do in Chile, no idea how we'll fit it all into our time there...

@mmxbreaks - consistent service! hadn't thought about that. Only ever had one F return (JNB) and it wasn't an issue and we hadn't really thought of it to be a thing. Will think about that. At the mo we're F out, J back. Waiting for/Hoping for a pair of avios seats to open up in F for the return
PETER01 and rossmacd like this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:45 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
1K/1A or not....

Hi

I’ll be flying JFK to LHR next week (747) and I’ve used Avios to upgrade J to F. I’ve chosen 2K but 1A and 1K are still available. Are there any merits in swapping seats or staying where I am? I’m flying solo.

Many thanks.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
In that direction, maybe not, particularly if overnight. But I think the unique view from 1A and 1K is one of those special experiences of flying that is worth trying out at least once in a travelling career, particularly if there is something to look at. So if you know the skies are clear over Canada, or going to the West Coast and therefore going over Greenland and Hudson Bay, that would be another matter. The seat comes with disadvantages e.g. proximity to the other seat, potential disruptive usage of the wardrobe, it has a slightly more cramped feel compared to other seats. But if no-one uses the wardrobe and 1A is sensible, then you get the impression of being the only passengers on the 747, all service comes from behind you.
HighwayToHEL likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:52 am

Best seats in the house for travelling alone, rubbish if with someone.
HighwayToHEL likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:55 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
If you’ve never done it, do it. Otherwise I think row 2 is best for a single
HighwayToHEL likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:57 am

One of the poorest (cramped) F seats around I’m afraid. Take one of the row 2 window seats.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 3:06 am

Note that you can also get the 747 1A experience in business class on KLM, should you be thinking about ways to 'tick that box' sometime in the future.
HighwayToHEL likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 3:11 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Oooooh conflicting views one of the best seats in the house, and one of the most cramped seats. Hmmmmm.....
Old Oct 7, 2018, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

What time is your flight? ( assuming it is an overnight flight you will probably not see much, but turning on to the runway the views from 1A/1K are pretty special). There may be some cupboard noise as it is between 1A and 1K.
2A/2k is probably better but as c-w-s say it is worth doing at least once.
Regards

TBS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.