Seating Queries: First

Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Plat, Hilton Diamond
Apologies if this has been asked but my search terms are too short to get decent results in this 84 page long thread.

Flying solo JFK-LHR in a few months on the 777. Only seats available are Row 4 in the back or any of the middle seats.

Overnight flight so I'll likely watch a movie and then be sleeping for a few hours. I currently have 4A but am wondering if I should just go with one of the middle seats to avoid the galley. So single seat privacy with potential noise vs middle seat (less privacy) though possibly quieter.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Also, have a separate trip later in the year where family is flying back into Newark. Am I correct that the 777 going into Newark is basically identical to the JFK service?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by th14
Apologies if this has been asked but my search terms are too short to get decent results in this 84 page long thread.

Flying solo JFK-LHR in a few months on the 777. Only seats available are Row 4 in the back or any of the middle seats.

Overnight flight so I'll likely watch a movie and then be sleeping for a few hours. I currently have 4A but am wondering if I should just go with one of the middle seats to avoid the galley. So single seat privacy with potential noise vs middle seat (less privacy) though possibly quieter.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Also, have a separate trip later in the year where family is flying back into Newark. Am I correct that the 777 going into Newark is basically identical to the JFK service?
I guess it depends on how bothered you are by possible galley noise/light. There is a curtain behind 4A, but of course crew will be passing in and out (pax less so, since the loos are at the front of the cabin). I was in 4A on a 772 a few days ago on an overnight flight and it was fine for me. I went straight to sleep as soon as the seatbelt sign went off. Although the middle seats on the 777s are better than 744, personally I would still prefer a window in F if travelling solo. On JFK-LHR, if you're watching a movie you'd probably only be looking at 2-3 hours sleep.

Been a while since I flew a 777 to EWR but the aircraft would come from the same LHR fleet. Of course, BA has various F configurations on the 772 (12F, 14F, 17F), so you can't be certain what you'll get. Quite a few equipment changes these days, both my flights on 777s in the last week have had an equipment change in the last 48 hours before the flight.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: DL DM, UA MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Oaxaca

I guess it depends on how bothered you are by possible galley noise/light. There is a curtain behind 4A, but of course crew will be passing in and out (pax less so, since the loos are at the front of the cabin). I was in 4A on a 772 a few days ago on an overnight flight and it was fine for me. I went straight to sleep as soon as the seatbelt sign went off. Although the middle seats on the 777s are better than 744, personally I would still prefer a window in F if travelling solo. On JFK-LHR, if you're watching a movie you'd probably only be looking at 2-3 hours sleep.

Been a while since I flew a 777 to EWR but the aircraft would come from the same LHR fleet. Of course, BA has various F configurations on the 772 (12F, 14F, 17F), so you can't be certain what you'll get. Quite a few equipment changes these days, both my flights on 777s in the last week have had an equipment change in the last 48 hours before the flight.
Thanks for the feedback. I sleep with earplugs so unless lots of noise, I should be okay. I mention the movie to note that I won't be trying to sleep during the main meal service. Also, my understanding is the galley behind is for CW so while those FA are making noise behind me, they're then heading the other direction. Which I think would make 4A marginally better than 1A for me.

Regarding EWR. When you're saying equipment change. Do you mean 747 instead of 777. Or just different 777? If different 777, don't they all have the same kind of seat at this point? Meaning, it's not like some 777's have been retrofit vs others, right? So it's just a matter of seat configuration is what I'm asking (14 vs 12 vs 17 seats). We have Row 2 on the flight so as long as the seats are the same equipment, then how the configuration changes around us won't make a difference to us.

Now, if you're saying they'll swap it for a 747, then we'll have to pick some different seats.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:28 am

First first lhr-las

We have our first first coming up in a couple of weeks on a 747 to Vegas. Currently booked in 2 a/k. Was hoping to bag 1 a/k at t-72 but 1a now booked. Should I stay in 2 a/k or try for 1k and keep 2k? Is there a better side for views of the strip? (Landing around 9pm) Happy not to talk the whole flight but maybe the odd quick conversation without disturbing others too much. Happy to shoehorn in the buddy seats for meals too.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Assuming the winds are coming from the west ( most of the time IIRC) then the right hand k seats will offer the best views of the strip on final approach.

However 2a/k are too far apart to have a quiet conversation whilst in your own seats. ( using the buddy seat will be fine)

Regards

TBS
Old May 1, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
......using the buddy seat will be fine).......
Except for the poor person in Row 1 whose ears will be a matter of inches away from your conversant!
Old May 2, 2018, 2:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Full Score
Except for the poor person in Row 1 whose ears will be a matter of inches away from your conversant!
I have had people doing buddy dining behind me before and frankly it wasn't even noticeable.
Old May 2, 2018, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
I have had people doing buddy dining behind me before and frankly it wasn't even noticeable.
Completely agree - especially when the aircraft noise tends to be louder than those chatting
KARFA likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Completely agree - especially when the aircraft noise tends to be louder than those chatting
Not on a long haul A380, nor when two businessmen are trying to impress each other over their third bottle of wine whilst you try to sleep.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Full Score
Not on a long haul A380, nor when two businessmen are trying to impress each other over their third bottle of wine whilst you try to sleep.
True! I was thinking more 744
Old May 15, 2018, 12:34 am

Angry 747 First Seating

Hi,

For a couple travelling together are seats 2A and 2K any good ? I can't get row 1 as my wife doesn't have gold card. The seats together in the middle are already occupied.

Thanks in advance
Old May 15, 2018, 12:39 am

My preferred seating when travelling with a companion i s 2A and 2K - best seats in the house. 1A and 1K are not best for communicating across the aisle.
Old May 15, 2018, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by Ngl100
Hi,

For a couple travelling together are seats 2A and 2K any good ? I can't get row 1 as my wife doesn't have gold card. The seats together in the middle are already occupied.

Thanks in advance
I normally take these with my partner. They are great seats, have windows, very little traffic and you have a clear view of your partner. However, you are too far apart to chat.

One very minor gripe - 1A and 1K don't have overhead lockers, so sometimes you share your overhead locker with row 1, which can feel a little intrusive if they keep getting up to fiddle in their bags as they do loom over you a bit. I must say though, I am being super nit-picky here! Yet, still this irks me!
Old May 15, 2018, 12:42 am

Great thanks, made my day...
Old May 15, 2018, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

These are great seats - however you won't be able to chat too freely but you can dine together. Based on this, why not take a seat in row 1 and the same seat behind in row 2. If the other row 1 is not taken 72 hours before flight call up and grab it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.