Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seating Queries: First

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
You may find some more help in this thread, too: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...on-thread.html.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:11 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by bigRW
Thanks to a lot of help from this forum I'm managing my first 1st flight on an a380 (241, tesco warrior!) with my wife for herbirthday next year.

We are off to SFO. The service changed to an a380 the day after I booked it (which i guess is pretty lucky!). I wondered which seats people would suggest. I've done the front row of a 777 in the middle pair, which was great.

With the toilets at the front is is better to be further back on an a380 or for a day flight does it not make a difference? Or should we do two window seats behind each other for a different experience?

I don't have a lot of money and save up for these things for a long time (selling ink catridges is my method) and so i'd really appreciate advice to make the most of it.

best wishes
If you liked the centre seats on the B777 you'll like them on the A380. If you like the front row, I always sit in 1A/K and I've never been disturbed by the lavs.

The window seats are great and there's plenty room for you to dine together using the buddy seat.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist
So I have just booked our first First flights for our honeymoon next year. We are due to fly LHR-MIA (connecting from AMS ;-)) on the 744. At the moment the cabin is wide open (except for 1A/K which I guess is held for those with high status). I have selected 2A and 2K.

I know seat choice is personal preference, however, taking into account this is our first First and our honeymoon are these the best seats to select? I don't want to be too far from my new wife but equally it would be nice to have some space from the other passengers.

Of course if MIA switches to the 380 before next July then this could all change!

Thoughts would be most welcome.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:10 am

2a AND 2k are good seats on the 744. I tend to always travel in either 1A or 1K on the 744 but would not be unhappy with either 2A or 2k.

Conversely, on the A380 1A and 1K are not the best seats IMHO. In both seats the toilet is directly in front of you and in particular the toilet wall is essentially at the bottom of your bed. So in addition to the disruption of passengers coming past you to go to the toilet, if you are quite tall then you might not hear the toilet flush but you will feel it through your feet. There are also some cupboards, in particular near 1K that the crew seem to use a lot and which have a tendency to rattle a lot (apparently a known problem with the A380).
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:16 am

If it's your honeymoon you should sit together so 4E/F. You can whisper sweet nothings without others hearing. Only row 1 has any degree of privacy and you don't want those as you cannot exchange sweet nothings let alone gossip about other passengers and the crew. They are also slightly angled away from each other.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 5:35 pm

Programs: BA Blue; AA Platinum; Marriott Gold
If you do 2AK, depending on your "statures" you could dine together in the buddy seat and chat that way. Many warn it is cramped, however. There are many that don't like 4EF because it's open. Finally, I patiently read through the original threads (it will take you a fair amt of time) as the great insight will serve you well when making your decision. I ultimately stuck with 2AK for my mum's and my upcoming trip. Will be watching for 1AK to open up as we approach T-72. Enjoy the trip!
Old Oct 19, 2014, 8:16 pm

My hubby and I are flying our first F next summer on the 744 LHR-YVR. Are 2A and K good seats for a couple, (4E/F are not available) or would we be better taking 2A and 3A? Thanks.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:16 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by prmetime
My hubby and I are flying our first F next summer on the 744 LHR-YVR. Are 2A and K good seats for a couple, (4E/F are not available) or would we be better taking 2A and 3A? Thanks.
They are great seats for anyone.

They are quite far apart so you will not be able to speak to each other, but you could sit together using the buddy seat when you wanted to chat or dine together.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
They are great seats for anyone.

They are quite far apart so you will not be able to speak to each other, but you could sit together using the buddy seat when you wanted to chat or dine together.
Thank you for the information.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA
Best seats in First for a couple?

We'll be flying First for the first time ever in March (using AA flyer miles). EWR to LHR on a 777 and LHR to JFK on a 747.

I'm a big guy. Not overweight, but 6'7" and broad at the shoulders. So really looking forward to First and perhaps even sleeping on an airplane! (Took BA CW once, and the seat was nice, but the bed was too short to sleep.)

For those who travel as a couple, do you prefer the middle seats in F together? The 777 going over seems to be an old style with 17 F seats (but New First), and the 747 home has 14 F seats. We're fine not sitting together if the window seats are a little more spacious. I've seen pictures but it's hard to tell. Are they? Would a guy my size find them easier to sleep in?

One more question: we're just transiting in London; going on to Italy via LCY. An Embraer 170 going down and a 190 coming back. No F at all, and Club Europe apparently just means better food and the exact same seats.

I'm pretty miserable in coach, even on a fairly short flight, just because of my legs. Would love to reserve the bulkhead, but that is un-reservable on the BA website, even if paying the $33 extra to reserve. I'm assuming they're reserved for Emerald members or the like (which we are not). Or do they become available 24 hours in advance or at check-in? Any other really tall guys have luck reserving bulkhead in Club Europe ahead of time? Could we request emergency row even though that's not CE? Would rather have the additional leg room than the better meal.

I'm new to this site and I greatly appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:17 pm

Welcome to FT. I would suggest you search for "Seating Queries: First BA" and the FT thread on this will be the top hit (sorry I don't know how to link on here).

I asked a similar question the other week as we have our first First next year also. I have plumped for 4E and F so that we can sit next to each other and enjoy the First experience. I didn't want to be shouting across the cain from 2A to 2k.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by PoincianaKings
Welcome to FT. I would suggest you search for "Seating Queries: First BA" and the FT thread on this will be the top hit (sorry I don't know how to link on here).

I asked a similar question the other week as we have our first First next year also. I have plumped for 4E and F so that we can sit next to each other and enjoy the First experience. I didn't want to be shouting across the cain from 2A to 2k.
On the 777 my wife and I like 2E & 2F. We prefer it to over row 1 as it's further from the galley. On the 747 the best seats are probably 1A & 1K for a couple but these are reserved for BA Golds until T-72 so it may not be possible for you to get them (unless you are BA Gold). A reasonable alternative would be 2A & 2K where you're not too far apart but close enough to get the other's attention. Don't expect to be able to converse though. I really wouldn't recommend 3E & 3F on the 747 as they're completely open at the front and don't give you anywhere near as much privacy as the other seats. Hope this helps and I hope you enjoy your first First - for all the debate on here (some of which is founded I might add) it's still a great way to fly. By the way the buddy seats on the centre suites of the 777 are much, much larger than the outboard suites on the 747 which are too narrow to be used.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
The seats to avoid on the 747 are actually 4 E/F

5 E/F are also not favoured as they are close to the galley and fairly close to the window seats so it feels a bit crowded.

Go for 2K and 3K (or 2A/K). I would suggest that you can eat your meals together using the buddy seat, but in NF on the 747 they are pretty much unusable. Check to see if 1A/K open up at T-72.

The 777 does feel a little more spacious and any centre pairs are fine although row 1 can get noise/light from the galley.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by PoincianaKings
I would suggest you search for "Seating Queries: First BA" and the FT thread on this will be the top hit ...
It's here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ies-first.html.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
The seats to avoid on the 747 are actually 4 E/F

5 E/F are also not favoured as they are close to the galley and fairly close to the window seats so it feels a bit crowded.

Go for 2K and 3K (or 2A/K). I would suggest that you can eat your meals together using the buddy seat, but in NF on the 747 they are pretty much unusable. Check to see if 1A/K open up at T-72.
It is all personal preference. We have selected 4E/F because we want to be ablate talk to each other rather than be miles apart. 2A/K are hardly great seats if you want to saviour the experience of First together for the first time, as seems to be the OPs option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.