Wiki Posts
Search

Seating Queries: First

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2020, 6:54 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by GodAtum
On the 787 is 2K OK to book for my companion or will she be kicked out if there's a baby on-board?
2F is the bassinet seat. It has no bearing on 2K. I think you're over thinking this a bit. There are only 8 seats and you've ruled out half of them by picking one side over the other. Assuming you can't pick 2F that only leaves 3 others. Just make a decision
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 7:01 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by golfmad
Assuming you can't pick 2F that only leaves 3 others. Just make a decision
Assuming the listed BAEC status is up to date, 1K is out as well due to being reserved for Gold (at least until close to departure), so maybe the question has answered itself
Old Oct 5, 2020, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Assuming the listed BAEC status is up to date, 1K is out as well due to being reserved for Gold (at least until close to departure), so maybe the question has answered itself
I know I'm getting dragged into over thinking something after saying it should not be over thought but... we're talking about the companion here and we don't know his/her status.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 7:06 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
2F is the bassinet seat on a 787-9, so no reason for your companion to be shifted from 2K.
Sorry i meant 2F
Old Oct 5, 2020, 7:07 am

Sorry i meant 2F
How soon is your flight?
Old Oct 5, 2020, 7:09 am

I know I'm getting dragged into over thinking something after saying it should not be over thought but... we're talking about the companion here and we don't know his/her status.
That's a fair point of course (ps - the companion is a 'she' per above) although as I recall 1A/K need the individual passenger to be Gold, not just having a Gold on the booking like Row 1 shorthaul. So if the companion is in 2K GodAtum would still need to be individually Gold to open up 1K wouldn't they?

But I agree there may be overthinking going on here!
Old Oct 5, 2020, 7:15 am

Sorry i meant 2F
That would not normally be available to select unless the flight was fairly soon (sometime in the next 72 hours or less), hence golfmad's question.

If you can select it then yes, you are always going to be at risk of being moved if the bassinet is needed for a booking with an infant, and I hope you would agree that is fair. Of course, if the flight is only in a couple of days then the odds of an infant booking before departure are probably pretty slim.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 7:17 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
All F seats on the 787-9 are pretty similar. I would be happy with any of them. The seat angle makes the window seats not that useful but being a boy at heart I do like playing with the window blinds.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 7:18 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Flight is next May. Only 1A and 1K are hidden from me.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 7:23 am

Flight is next May. Only 1A and 1K are hidden from me.
Can you actually select 2F though? i.e. put either yourself or your companion in it?

I would expect if you tried then you would get a (somewhat garbled as I recall) message that the seat is not available as there is no infant on your booking.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 7:37 am

yes I can and it saved it.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 7:49 am

yes I can and it saved it.
I admit that surprises me, the system has never let me advance select bassinet seats in the past and people have had to resort to other options such as phoning up close to departure or using RJ.com (no longer works) etc. Can't say I have ever tried to select 2F mind you, maybe it is not marked internally as a bassinet because there are so few seats in the cabin (purely supposition on my part I add)

To return to your original question then, booking a bassinet seat will always carry some risk of being shifted if it is needed for an infant. No idea what the likelihood of such a booking happening before May is.

Do you specifically want a window seat for one of you? Does 1E/F not appeal?

Not to disagree with such a luminary as CIHY, but while the left hand side might be busier, that's surely only a relative amount in what is after all a small cabin. In one of our last flights before the current madness we had 1A,2A (6 total in cabin) and while I'm sure there was extra footfall on the left aisle, it didn't register with me at all tbh. I guess it depends on what is most important to you, but you definitely can overthink this!
Old Oct 5, 2020, 7:51 am

...or using RJ.com etc.
This has not worked for some considerable time. I believe the only option at present is to call at T-48.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 7:53 am

This has not worked for some considerable time. I believe the only option at present is to call at T-48.
Ta for the info, I'll edit so that people don't stumble on this in the future.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 1:56 pm

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
Quick query - we are both GCH, but me and other half currently AA Plt Pro and going for AA EXP so no Gold benefits like advance booking of 1A/K.

Flying on BA208 in a couple days, and ages ago we just assigned ourselves 2A and 2K as we both like windows, and its a red eye so no need to interact with each other. But we do prefer to be on the same side, so I thought fine, I’ll wait until T-72 and plop him into 1K if it is still free.
In hindsight I should have left the BA number on until check in and changed to the AA number then, to secure the 1K seat, but I had a blond moment, and didn’t do that.

At T-72 the seat went from being free to blocked (according to EF). I called You First and asked their opinion, and they said it was not occupied by a passenger, but blocked by the airport and nothing they could do.
Worth an enquiry at check in? Not the end of the world, but curious what might cause this? Crew rest maybe? It’s a 789 btw.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.