BA WTP Problems

Old Sep 13, 14, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
I know this is not your question (you've been given very good advice, meaning write in and keep it clear and concise) but would you rather not sleep on the short transatlantic flight? Going eastbound, I try to get as much sleep as possible. I almost never bother with IFE from North America to Europe. Asia is a slightly different story.
Old Sep 14, 14, 1:15 am

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
I like it when the IFE breaks I always bring an iPad loaded with what I want to watch, so a broken IFE is not a problem but a benefit giving an Avios boost
Old Sep 14, 14, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Chris9642 View Post
Its worth expressing your frustrations clearly - I have had a number of problems over the past year travelling in WTP from catering, crew attitude, broken seats and IFE and my most recent compensation was 100k Avios as 'Service Recovery'.
100k avios typically amounts to a credit of 500 against a future BA trip if you preferred that option. It is unlikely that you would get that amount of credit in W however. I once had that much for persistent IFE problems to SYD but you are probably looking at 50k tops in most circumstances.

It would be enormously helpful I think for those less used to dealing with BA CR to have typical compensation values for each type of service issue. Giving typical initial offer, likely agreed settlement and best case in both avios and credit terms. Then the top 10 to 20 issues and target resolutions could be wiki'ed.
Old Sep 14, 14, 5:27 am
WSM
Original Poster

I complained via the online form the first time it happened (IAH-LHR) and I was given 6K Avios. 2 consecutive flights now makes it 3/4.

Sleeping or not it should be available - IMHO. It is part of the flight package.
Old Sep 14, 14, 5:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
this has happened to me twice

on the first occasion my wife and I were given ipads from the F cabin, and on the second occasion (travelling alone) I was offered a middle seat in the Y cabin (which I politely declined and got out my laptop!!).
Old Sep 14, 14, 7:26 am

It does seem relatively rare to have persistent IFE problems on BA these days and it is unlucky to get this degree of repetition.
Really? I've taken about 20 LH BA flights so far this year and have seen IFE problems on every single flight, either with my own screen or a cabin-mate's.
This might be because I tend to fly routes that have the decrepit 747s on them. That's not a good excuse for BA, though. Doesn't bother me but I've seen a few others get quite worried by it: "If the IFE isn't working then who knows what safety systems aren't working!" etc.
Old Sep 14, 14, 7:33 am
WSM
Original Poster

all instances were on one of the 747-400s which are badly in need of a upgrade!
Old Sep 14, 14, 7:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Because crew report all defects, BA management knows exactly what % of flights are experiencing customer convenience issues. Put simply, they already know it whether OP complains or not.

The IFE is clunky, old & expensive and is not the wave of the future (which is streaming content to passenger's personal devices). They have clearly made a decision to let the current iteration die a slow death and are content to toss a couple of Avios here and there when necessary.
Old Sep 14, 14, 7:39 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by dohadosser View Post
this has happened to me twice

on the first occasion my wife and I were given ipads from the F cabin, and on the second occasion (travelling alone) I was offered a middle seat in the Y cabin (which I politely declined and got out my laptop!!).
That's quite extraordinary! If it came with a cash offer, for the downgrade in seat, one could understand. If J was full and there were no other seats with working IFE, I suppose it's worth offering, so the pax can decide priorities. But if it was a 'take it or leave it' type of offer, then it's a bit galling??

tb
Old Sep 14, 14, 9:59 am

Location: Usually LAX or SFO but sometimes MIA in the winter or LCY or PVK in the summer and every now and then SIN or SGN
Programs: in ASM, APL & C++ but never Java
I've given up on most airlines IFE as my iPad/Kindle etc etc has a far superior screen, I pre-load my own entertainment and use my personal comfy and clean headphones. One domestic US carrier now offers free live TV via WiFi on their flights which I like, and a model I expect to see in the future on most airlines (content delivery via WiFi vs in seat screens). Overall I have't had many issues with BA IFE, but it sure is irritating when it fails and 15K Avios doesn't really make up for staring at the bulkhead for 9 hours.
Old Sep 15, 14, 2:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Silver, Marriot Silver
After travelling on the oldest 747 in the fleet a few weeks ago the IFE was flawless, then last week travelling on G-STBL 777-300 which has only only been in service for 2-3 weeks, yep the IFE broke for business & first forcing 2 re-boots!.
Old Sep 15, 14, 3:13 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Admittedly I do the vast majority of my LH travel on BA, but I have never seen IFe problems on any other carrier (thoguh I am sure they occur) and it seems to be a recurring theme on BA, though to be fair I have not had any problems recently and even when there have been problems a re-boot usually does the trick.
Old Sep 15, 14, 4:26 am
WSM
Original Poster

they want to give me 10K Avios......
Old Sep 15, 14, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
That is above the usual amount offered for a one off failure so takes in to account the other times.
I would always complain inflight if there is a problem and not try and claim for a group of failures.
Old Sep 15, 14, 4:40 am
WSM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
That is above the usual amount offered for a one off failure so takes in to account the other times.
I would always complain inflight if there is a problem and not try and claim for a group of failures.
Maybe it is, but, this seems a little more 'exceptional' given the amount of times it has happened. 3/4 flights is quite a lot.

That being said 10K Avios is probably a fair reflection, who knows, I just don't personally think it's that 'great' of a gesture and seems almost dismissive from BA.

Search this Thread