Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Frustration

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2014, 6:42 pm

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
The problem is not only living at the outstation. The problem are also 100000s points and 241s given for free to anybody, who signs up for a credit card.
I'm living at (500km to) an outstation, and it wasn't difficult to get seats to/from LHR almost anytime I want (+-2 days). The difficulty is earning enough points, as only flying does the trick. So it balances out at the end ;-)
Old Sep 3, 2014, 10:20 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by paulwuk
I fail to see why someone who doesn't live near a Ba hub would join a Ba frequent flyer club. It Does Not Make Sense.
Well, for me, living near PHX, it's the only nonstop option to Europe, and I reach status much faster than with AA/US because I fly in paid business or first. Also, the lounge benefit is more useful than upgrades. But I agree for a casual flyer earning miles off of their credit cards, it may not be a good choice of programs. But I wouldn't call that person a frequent flyer...
Old Sep 3, 2014, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by jschutz
I think I am done with BA. I have well over 100K Avios, a companion pass, and I cannot get a flight anywhere. There is a MININUM 45 minute hold whenever I call the Executive Club - and there are NEVER any Business Class seats available for my miles/points and the companion pass. I have given up using my BA Chase Sapphire card.

Living in San Diego - I have even tried using the points from anywhere BA flies from in the continental U.S. as far as 11 months out - am ALWAYS told that BA has not "released" the business class (World Class) seats yet but that I should keep calling back. So guess I will never get to use my companion pass and will try to use the points for something else other than flights. Just FRUSTRATED!
Others my have mentioned it: could be worth one's while by booking two one way tickets out and in. Or maybe try other Oneworld airlines; their redemption 'fees and taxes' are lower than BA anyway.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
I fail to see why someone who doesn't live near a Ba hub would join a Ba frequent flyer club. It Does Not Make Sense.
It makes perfect sense when you don't bother reading the small print and are gullible enough to believe a few thousand $ spend (which you would have spent anyway) entitles you to an equivalent amount of free airline ticket anywhere, at any time in first
Old Sep 5, 2014, 2:30 pm

The OP lives in San Diego. BA flies to San Diego. OP wants to fly to Europe. Makes perfect sense to me.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
BA Frustration

How are you searching? Don't use the availability map as it doesn't work. Try doing dummy bookings for 2 people then try scrolling forwards/backwards to see if availability turns up.
Have you tried awardnexus ? Free using your flyertalk handle.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Avios are great for US domestic on AA (which includes Mexico and the Caribbean), especially since I live in the middle of the US so the mileage based awards are great, and also for hopping to LON from around Europe. I try to keep 100K or so around for these reasons.

BA.com, however, is 2nd rate. But much better than trying to call them.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Just a basic check to find an award booking using Avios

Probably stating the obvious jschutz but just in case... to find award seats online, first log into ba dot com, then click on Executive Club tab near the top, then on the My Executive Club option. Log in to the Executive Club. Then look for Book a Flight with Avios or Money, on the left hand side of the page about half way down. Use the pulldown to select "Pay with Avios" and not "Pay with money" and not "Pay with money and avios". Then enter the flights you are looking for and click the red Find Flights button. This will ensure you are only searching amongst the available award seats. Doing it this way the only seats that will be shown to you will be available award seats.

To get the hang of this I would suggest you start with an unpopular date like early November, and a route with a lot of planes flying it like JFK LON, to see how it looks. Then search for the start and end point that you might really want then dates you might really want. I'd suggest looking just for the transatlantic flights first, then coming back and looking for the flights from San Diego or wherever you are leaving from, to the international gateway.

When you find seats you want you will be able to book them right then and there on the website. Alternatively call BA quickly with the details of the flights and they will do the booking, there might be a small charge for this.

BA taxes (=co-pay) are mostly a lot higher than American. If you choose London then the 'taxes' that will be added are huge. So after you've checked out the total cost on the website, you might experiment with different places that are not in the UK. This should reduce the taxes a lot but they will still be pretty high. Alternatively as many posters have said, you might find it a lot easier and still quite cost-effective to use your Avios for flights operated by American.

Last edited by h15t0r1an; Sep 5, 2014 at 6:13 pm
Old Sep 6, 2014, 10:35 am

Yup, I agree with most everyone. We earn our Avios mostly on the CC. We have used the Companion pass successfully ever since it came out. Living in the DC area, it was easier to book flights, we haven't found much since moving to Fl, although Orlando and Miami might work. So now, we get cheap flight to DC, visit the grandkids, and catch Europe flight at BWI or IAD, usually always CW. We also book the first day the return flight date opens up, and we are flexible with the dates.

Last edited by Judy795; Sep 6, 2014 at 10:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.