Search

What happens if you are sick?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

What happens if you are sick?

Morning all,

Bit of a random question: What happens if you check in for a flight and are too sick to fly?

I have recently started to get really bad migraines and when I do, I am completely decommissioned for the day. I had an incident the other day when I was checking into a hotel and basically had to cancel my plans for the whole day as I could not function. This got me thinking what would happen if I was checking in and had a migraine (or something like this)? Would I just be classed as a 'no show' or would the airline let you re-book? Or does it come down to cabin, cash or redemption etc?

Welcome any thoughts.

Cheers ^
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It would all depend on the fare rules as to what could be done with the ticket; anywhere from loss of fare through to being able to get a full refund
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It would all depend on the fare rules as to what could be done with the ticket; anywhere from loss of fare through to being able to get a full refund
So if it is a restricted economy ticket and you just can't handle a 13 hr plus flight you would give it up? Same apply if it was a restricted first or business, or is there any grace?
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:33 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
It depends on the fare rules, as already posted.

You should also consult your travel insurer to see what's claimable.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:33 am

Inevitably the issue is that if it was a restricted ticket and you could get a refund on account of illness then everyone would be claiming they had a migraine etc etc.

Sounds like a case for travel insurance.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by simons1
Inevitably the issue is that if it was a restricted ticket and you could get a refund on account of illness then everyone would be claiming they had a migraine etc etc.

Sounds like a case for travel insurance.
Not if you are at the check in desk and the agent can clearly see you are not well....however point taken. I did think it was down to the type of ticket etc but thought I would ask anyhow ^
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
I know it's over-said on here, but this really is what travel insurance is for.

If you're at the check in desk then you can probably manage to get on the plane anyway.

And do please see a doctor if you keep getting migraines, if you haven't done so already!
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:49 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by SgtRyan
So if it is a restricted economy ticket and you just can't handle a 13 hr plus flight you would give it up? Same apply if it was a restricted first or business, or is there any grace?
Unfortunately, if every time it became inconvenient for someone to take a flight they'd booked the airline was required to show 'grace' and effectively convert a non-changeable ticket into a flexible one then:

a. a lot of travel insurance companies would go out of business; and
b. no-one would ever buy a flexible ticket.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN

If you're at the check in desk then you can probably manage to get on the plane anyway.

And do please see a doctor if you keep getting migraines, if you haven't done so already!
- yep on that! Wont ever slag off the NHS after living in the US...a whole another story!!

Originally Posted by CCayley
Unfortunately, if every time it became inconvenient for someone to take a flight they'd booked the airline was required to show 'grace' and effectively convert a non-changeable ticket into a flexible one then:

a. a lot of travel insurance companies would go out of business; and
b. no-one would ever buy a flexible ticket.
Agreed!
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:53 am

Travel Insurance tends not to cover pre-existing conditions which this would be

If having a condition where there could be a last minute need to cancel , then I would suggest ensuring that do not purchase fares where the value will be lost
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:58 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador

If having a condition where there could be a last minute need to cancel , then I would suggest ensuring that do not purchase fares where the value will be lost
Um, my travel insurance does cover my condition. It's just more expensive!
Old Aug 30, 2014, 6:10 am

Um, my travel insurance does cover my condition. It's just more expensive!
ok... pre-existing conditions are generally not covered unless disclosed, accepted by the insurance company and appropriate additional fee paid
Old Aug 30, 2014, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Yes they do! And sometimes at no extra cost.

I also suffer from (occasional) migraines and told my insurers this when taking out the policy. They asked me some questions and how often I got them, severity and medication etc and then decided that I would be covered for them and no increase in premium because they decided the risk of me having one when on holiday was low.

The important thing is to be open with them - in fact you have a duty to.

The surest way to find your cover is worthless is not to tell them of a pre-existing condition and then fall ill with it and claim.

It is all about balancing the risks. Some pre-existing conditions have huge risks for the insurers but others very small.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:10 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
A lot of carriers are changing pre-existing condition coverage to allow it. As long as the condition is being managed there are many options out there. I even got a policy for my mum for less than 200 quid for a month in cayman and she has leukaemia.

Anyway, op, do hope the migraines are not something more serious. My wife has always had them, she has drugs that works when they start (infrequent but debilitating), hopefully the doc will sort you out.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is all about risk tolerance. You can be 100% assured of a cash refund by purchasing a fully refundable ticket (often as much as 10x the price of the cheapest ticket). You can likely be assured of reimbursement by purchasing a travel insurance policy which covers your condition and situation. Or you can chance it and pruchase the cheapest ticket and run the risk that you cannot use it.

This just seems stark. But, most people make choices close to this every day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.