Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Semi OT: new TV as luggage on BA F

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:25 am

Also don't forget that you will not be able to watch freeview as there is no DVB-(C/T/S) tuner in North American television sets. PAL/NTSC is becoming obsolete with digital technology, however the standard tuner type in North America is ATSC whereas in Europe (and most of the rest of the world) the standard is DVB. You will have to watch everything from a set-top-box. (oops: see that KenF has beat me to it)

Another issue worth noting (but rarely an issue) is that North American mains electricity is 120V/60Hz and the UK will be 230V/50Hz. Make sure that you purchase a TV compatible with Mains electricity in the UK.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:35 am

My parents bought a flat screen TV in Toronto and left it in the original box and checked it in YYZ > LHR > LIS. The agent put many FRAGILE stickers on the box and it arrived all intact. ^

Same TV in Portugal would have been $600 more!

The British Pound is $1.80 in Canada so the savings are significant. I can't tell you how many times I've seen Brits stock up to the brim while shopping in Toronto! iPads, computers, clothing, health & beauty items.... It's like getting 80% off with just the exchange rate alone.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
Is the warranty important to people here?

How often do modern consumer goods go kaput within the warranty period?

Do you guys buy the extended warranty in the shops?
1) very, if something expensive goes wrong.

2) How often? Hardly ever, but you can guarantee it will if you don't have a warranty.

3) No. Never.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by muscat
Buy a high res projector instead. 100 inch display on your wall, and you can put the projector in your luggage. (Yes, you do need white wall, curtains closed, etc)
That's what I do; in fact I bought my first projector for use in Muscat and I'm now on my third model, a full-HD Epson. I display onto a motor-driven screen (110" diagonal picture), which drops down in front of a 40" wall-mounted LCD TV for general viewing (news, etc.).
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SteveF
That's what I do; in fact I bought my first projector for use in Muscat and I'm now on my third model, a full-HD Epson. I display onto a motor-driven screen (110" diagonal picture), which drops down in front of a 40" wall-mounted LCD TV for general viewing (news, etc.).
Point is that this new TV unit would be the main TV in the room. I know from owning a projector myself that there are very few projectors that could handle a good quality picture in full daylight. Having a skylight (window in the ceiling) right where the couch sits is not an ideal placement either. Unless someone has some really good tips for a really bright and strong projector?

Thanks
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evanderm
Also don't forget that you will not be able to watch freeview as there is no DVB-(C/T/S) tuner in North American television sets. PAL/NTSC is becoming obsolete with digital technology, however the standard tuner type in North America is ATSC whereas in Europe (and most of the rest of the world) the standard is DVB. You will have to watch everything from a set-top-box. (oops: see that KenF has beat me to it)

Another issue worth noting (but rarely an issue) is that North American mains electricity is 120V/60Hz and the UK will be 230V/50Hz. Make sure that you purchase a TV compatible with Mains electricity in the UK.
I had already considered this in my first post I believe? *checking now*

EDIT: Yup its there
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: VS, BA, AA, IHG, HH, SPG
Originally Posted by SteveF
Great minds..... that's almost identical to my setup
Except my TV is wasted and never gets used, I can't see any point in not enjoying everything on the huge screen, including the obvious watching of media as well as general internet browsing, emails and work. My OH thinks its mental, and claims it gives her a headache

Originally Posted by ITryToFly
I know from owning a projector myself that there are very few projectors that could handle a good quality picture in full daylight. Having a skylight (window in the ceiling) right where the couch sits is not an ideal placement either. Unless someone has some really good tips for a really bright and strong projector?
No unfortunately you're right, ambient light is still a huge problem even for very high end projectors. Don't believe the sales-pitch, you need curtains drawn at the minimum for a decent picture - a skylight is going to be a problem for sure.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I've taken a number of bulky/fragile things as checked baggage and never had a problem. Usually the fragile/oversized items are handled separately from regular baggage.

I don't know if there is a way to do it on your trip, but if you can buy items in Alberta there is no PST, just GST (5%). All the rest of the provinces have provincial tax in addition to the GST. Ontario is 8% I believe.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Jagboi
I've taken a number of bulky/fragile things as checked baggage and never had a problem. Usually the fragile/oversized items are handled separately from regular baggage.

I don't know if there is a way to do it on your trip, but if you can buy items in Alberta there is no PST, just GST (5%). All the rest of the provinces have provincial tax in addition to the GST. Ontario is 8% I believe.
We now have HST so it's a flat 13%. No more split between GST and PST.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Jagboi

Ontario has a harmonised sales tax (HST) of provincial tax and GST of 13% now.

Edit: evanderm beat me to it...the problem of having your browser open for five minutes while you fix a drink
Old Aug 28, 2014, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliuk
No unfortunately you're right, ambient light is still a huge problem even for very high end projectors. Don't believe the sales-pitch, you need curtains drawn at the minimum for a decent picture - a skylight is going to be a problem for sure.
After doing some research I would need a projector with at least 3500 Ansi Lumens....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.