Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to Add Pulled Pork Sandwich to First-Class Menu

Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA soon to be Silver

BA First should serve pulled swan on artisan bread spread with fois gras. Anything else is simply not fitting.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by IMH
Spotted it at once, honest guv, having been conditioned by the ketchup in the burger photos, but took too long looking up "speedmarque".

It's not a great idea for several reasons, not least the number of people who don't eat pork, and it's certainly not a great idea for F.
I love pulled pork,chicken wings etc. Not sure that's what I want sitting in F though. If that's what I want I'd eat them from a proper place on the ground before the flight.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
Please forgive any 'class-related' allusion I might have introduced. I'm as big a fan of a Po'boy sandwich as the next man, and believe me I stay in hotels and use neighbourhood bars in the US that would make most of the 'champagne set' here wince ... http://www.alleycatalexandria.com/menu.html

I just don't see this as a good execution of a Pulled Pork sandwich, based on visual evidence - happy to be proved wrong. And I am surprised to see it, and its distinctive odour, offered in the multi-ethnic environment of BA F.
I agree that the execution will likely be poor - but willing to collect actual data and open to being wrong.

Your point on "multi-ethnic" is fair enough, and perhaps good reason not to do it (tho personally have issues with other people's beliefs managing my experience. they are free to eat what they like; shouldn't impact me ; I can, however, see the business sense in it)
It was the commentary (not sure if it was you or not) around its ostensibly plebeian stature that I was rebutting.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by patvan
Why is I that I have the feeling that some senior people on FT would even defend BA if they actually would serve dog food in First?
I've seen him criticise BA when he's not happy (new CE seating, int-dom connection enhancements) so it's unfair to say he blindly compliments BA. Certain things matter to different people.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Can someone explain to me what pulled pork is and is it worth sending the butler out for?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO; DL GLD
It looks atrocious and the bread isn't doing any favours, either. If it needs 'fancy' bread, go with a brioche bun. The chutney looks disgusting and should be replaced with slaw that contains match-stick cut apple. I also have no idea why they mix it with onion and sage at the end. Instead of wasting six months coming up with this abomination, they should have called Rodney Scott and been done with it.

http://thescottsbbq.com/Home_Page.html
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:34 pm

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Definitely but it's better on a large bread cake spread with best beef dripping.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Can someone explain to me what pulled pork is and is it worth sending the butler out for?
From Interstate Bar-B-Que at MEM airport...

Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by patvan
Why is I that I have the feeling that some senior people on FT would even defend BA if they actually would serve dog food in First?
Is he a "senior people"? I thought this was the Internet?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:42 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by layz
I've seen him criticise BA when he's not happy (new CE seating, int-dom connection enhancements) so it's unfair to say he blindly compliments BA. Certain things matter to different people.
Indeed. I've criticised BA on many occasions, including the dreadful food that was served in the CCR/Flounge when BS first became the caterer. I'm certainly no BA apologist.

As far as the pulled pork is concerned, as someone who travels very regularly in First I am pleased to see a variation of the bistro options. It's very easy to become bored with a menu and it's not unusual to find very familiar items each time you travel.

What I find difficult to understand is the constant whining on here, the thing isn't even on board yet but it's being rubbished. It appears to be a light snack option for those who get peckish or don't want to consume a substantial meal.

I'm looking forward it trying this and if it turns out to be as bad as many are saying here I'll gladly come back and say so. It may not be 'luxurious' food but luxurious food is not necessarily what you want to be eating on every flight, I presume that's why the bistro menu is there.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by SFO777
Been years since I've had BBQ in Memphis. Damn that looks so good. somehow i doubt BA's version is going to be comparable.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by SFO777
Pork and slaw looks good.

But my 'mess of beans' beats theirs any day ... 3 types of beans, onion, garlic, chopped bacon and chorizo, tomatoes, blackstrap molasses, red pepper, chillies, smoky paprika and 'secret stuff'. And that's from a Brit
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:46 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by T8191
Is he a "senior people"? I thought this was the Internet?
Thank you Uncle T, I'm many years away from retirement
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Indeed. I've criticised BA on many occasions, including the dreadful food that was served in the CCR/Flounge when BS first became the caterer. I'm certainly no BA apologist.

As far as the pulled pork is concerned, as someone who travels very regularly in First I am pleased to see a variation of the bistro options. It's very easy to become bored with a menu and it's not unusual to find very familiar items each time you travel.

What I find difficult to understand is the constant whining on here, the thing isn't even on board yet but it's being rubbished. It appears to be a light snack option for those who get peckish or don't want to consume a substantial meal.

I'm looking forward it trying this and of it turns out to be as bad as many are saying here I'll gladly come back and say so. It may not be 'luxurious' food but luxurious food is not necessarily what you want to be eating on every flight and I presume that's why the bistro menu is there.
Quite... The bistro menus are not at all "posh" and they are designed for people who want to work or watch films while they travel.

It's not going to replace the A380 tasting menu or any of the conventional "haute cuisine" options in regular F, so I don't get what the fuss is about.

Nobody has even tasted the bloody thing yet!
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

I'm looking forward it trying this and if it turns out to be as bad as many are saying here I'll gladly come back and say so. It may not be 'luxurious' food but luxurious food is not necessarily what you want to be eating on every flight and I presume that's why the bistro menu is there.
And just to add to this, isn't F supposed to be about individual choice? I have even drank beer in F rather than champagne because I prefer it. Just because you have paid for an F ticket does not mean you are compelled to consume haute cuisine. (awaiting comments regarding BA and haute cuisine )

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.