Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Design patent for the Club World seat revealed

Design patent for the Club World seat revealed

Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
Looks good and kudos to BA for the innovative design, but not so sure about the pillow providing sufficient back support for a flight lasting 10+ hours!
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
It will certainly be nice if BA moves to 1-2-1 seating. However, I'll admit that for the reasons described by Crampedin13A and those who compare the new seat to CX's old "coffin", I tend to prefer reversed herringbone (a la new CX, new AF, AA 77W) to herringbone.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Do people wishing for a reduction in seat density pay for their own seats or make a lot of redemptions? I'd be concerned it would increase prices and certainly be very concerned about less award availability.
However it seems like this design could be a good compromise, obviously depending on the recline issue.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:23 pm

To all those who are worried about density and its effect on pricing and/or redemption availability, a thought experiment.

Imagine BA were able to licence some Tardis[tm] technology from Doctor Who... ...to increase the current CW seat density across the entire fleet by 10%, with no measurable effect on personal space, and without changing the external dimensions of the aircraft (or its take-off weight).

Do you really expect BA Rev Mgmt would either a) immediately drop CW fares, or b) immediately increase CW redemption availability?

No, didn't think so
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
The most inspired part of this design is the creative mechanism for aisle access occurring mid-bed. The thing I love the most about CW is the slightly angled position during take off, and the variety of reclining positions. I don't see this seat working very well for lounging without at least one intermediate reclining position. That said at least they are trying to find a better design. I find the CX seat to be a bit overrated, especially the lack of comfort during taxi takeoff and landing.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alta, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum
Very interesting. Some observations
  • The tray table cannot be stowed - makes sense, because you don't have to make room for it in the seat in front, but I'd be worried about kicking it in the sleeping position. (In general, I don't like having anything in the airspace above me while asleep)
  • The abilty to have the table in a serving position and a dining position is fantastic. It really overcomes some major problems with current CW.
  • Hurray for drinks bottle holder under Shelf 7 in the 3rd embodiment
  • Need some kind of accessible storage when the bed is deployed. The upper deck on the 747 is the only BA setup that has this properly catered for - That said, looking at the drawings, you could potentially have room for a similar storage locker between the seat and the window.
  • 40" IFE in the bulkhead!!! But then the OH and I would have to agree on what to watch...
  • BA have put an upper deck on the 787!

But all these are details. Recline is make or break for this design. I'm a huge fan of the Z position, and at this point, I can't see how this seat as proposed can be made as comfortable. If they can do it, they'll revolutionise business class again.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
If you want to sit straight I think that asymmetric seat and its asymmetric back are going to be incredibly uncomfortable. The room at the ankles when lying flat looks less than the new AA business seat.

Of course I will reserve final judgement but I am apprehensive....
Old Aug 24, 2014, 2:41 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

The patent document is a fascinating design statement. Tessellated (I love that word) multivalent sofas each with bolster cushions to form a private lounge zone; or a 6'-2" long flat bed; a banquette for two; private multitasking work/dine space; or if you sidle towards the cabin wall, a viewpoint to the clouds.

Conceptually, very interesting
Old Aug 24, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I'm not one to pre-judge but I'm not a fan of the herringbone style. I think this new seat might need a 'snapshot'

H
Old Aug 24, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
I'll volunteer for human testing when it's on board an aircraft - very selflessly...

Overall I think it's interesting, looks more private than some herringbone style seats I've been in (eg NZ) and no risk of injury due to extricating yourself from window seat. 2018 for the A350?
Old Aug 24, 2014, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, AAdvantage
This looks very similar to the first gen UCS on VS: a herringbone arrangement which is fine for sitting upright and good for lying down but not good for relaxing / watching a film. Seems to me a retrograde step.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
To all those who are worried about density and its effect on pricing and/or redemption availability, a thought experiment.

Imagine BA were able to licence some Tardis[tm] technology from Doctor Who... ...to increase the current CW seat density across the entire fleet by 10%, with no measurable effect on personal space, and without changing the external dimensions of the aircraft (or its take-off weight).

Do you really expect BA Rev Mgmt would either a) immediately drop CW fares, or b) immediately increase CW redemption availability?

No, didn't think so
On some routes, where seating supply now exceeds demand, yes of course.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by chris1979
The request for early publication bit is the bit I don't understand.....
There can be a number of reasons for this. The usual one is that there is a fear of infringement, and damages to accrue from the date of publication if they were to sue an infringer.

It could also act as public notice of what BA intends to do and to head off competitors who intend to develop a similar seat.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:27 pm

I'm not sure how they are going to make one comfortable seat cushion for upright, reclined and lie flat positions, and for two different seating directions.

If they can, i think it looks good, although I'd prefer they turned it to face the window.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:37 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by BA380
This looks very similar to the first gen UCS on VS: a herringbone arrangement which is fine for sitting upright and good for lying down but not good for relaxing / watching a film. Seems to me a retrograde step.
If that's so then it is sad to see BA starts from where VS ends

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.