Ticket name not matching (order)

Old Aug 23, 14, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Ticket name not matching (order)

Quick question (I have searched the forum and have a decent understanding of opinion, but would like some updated viewpoints, especially from the UK).

I am flying LHR-JFK next week and made the booking through a travel agent.

My correct name (on the passport): Peter Phillip Smith
What is on the ticket: Phillippeter Smith
ESTA application (which has been approved): Peter Smith

BA have put a note in my booking saying that the correct order of my name is Peter Phillip Smith (or Peterphillip as they have written it, they say their system doesn't accept spaces), so it "should" be fine.

I know that ESTA and the passport have to match (which they do exactly), but was wondering on the ticket? Do I need to get it changed / re-issued, or will it be ok?

Thoughts most welcome.
Old Aug 23, 14, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA, CX, LH, WN
Is your first name Peter and Middle name Phillip and last name Smith?

It should not be a problem IMO. One of my friend's name was too long to fit into the eticket - so they abbreviated one of the last names and it was never an issue. She flew to US from India via DXB.
Old Aug 23, 14, 2:30 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This will be fine, it is the certainly the case that first names gets combined on the ticket. The ESTA handshake from your ticket is via family name, date of birth, passport number and passport issuing country, off the API section, so no reference to first name(s). The system tolerates a bit of discrepancy there too. You could even go as Phil Pete if you wanted to.
Old Aug 23, 14, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Great many thanks.

Yes my first name is Peter, middle name Phillip and last name Smith. What they have essentially done is combine AND reverse my first and middle name!
Old Aug 23, 14, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA, CX, LH, WN
Originally Posted by PPS1 View Post
Great many thanks.

Yes my first name is Peter, middle name Phillip and last name Smith. What they have essentially done is combine AND reverse my first and middle name!
Its all good then. The only important name is the last name and as long as its correct you are good to go.

Just to give you more assurance, my friend's last name was the one which was abbreviated and she had no issue what so ever during arrival or in transit.
Old Aug 26, 14, 10:12 am

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Also, the Secure Flight Information which the airline sends to the US authorities does not have to match the ticket. See some guidance from FT's resident TSA staffer here (slightly different question but I think the information he provides is pertinent) : http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trust...names-pnr.html. You should get the airline to put the appropriate names in the Secure Flight Information
Old Aug 26, 14, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Absolutely no chance of a problem. I will bet a 6-pack of Krug that this will not be the case of any questions or delays getting into the US.
Old Aug 26, 14, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
The only problem might be crediting miles as BAEC has an automatic name matching system. But if your BAEC number sticks in the booking you should be fine. Otherwise have to claim miles with an explanation.
Old Aug 26, 14, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, AF Gold, some hotels...
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
You could even go as Phil Pete if you wanted to.
Crew to Peter Phillip: 'Good afternoon Sir'
Crew to Phil Pete: 'Hiya mate'

Search this Thread
Search Engine: