FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Quick question - changing return flights booked with Avios (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1604985-quick-question-changing-return-flights-booked-avios.html)

PUCCI GALORE Aug 22, 2014 2:24 am

Quick question - changing return flights booked with Avios

I have tried looking in Search but am clearly not asking the question properly

If a Gold card holder had an Avios itinerary (Spain) that had already had the outward flight used - could he/she change this (assuming availability) return flight for another date?

What would be the charge? Would it be better to cancel or would the Avios be lost?

Any help would be much appreciated.

redpalmetto Aug 22, 2014 2:29 am

Yes I believe it can be changed, ad at the new £35 per person charge

PUCCI GALORE Aug 22, 2014 2:41 am

Originally Posted by redpalmetto (Post 23404661)

Excellent - thanks for this

shorthauldad Aug 22, 2014 2:51 am

Take a look at

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...and-conditions

section 16:

16. Changes to Rewards
16.1. Changes to bookings for Reward travel on flights operated by British Airways or Airline Partners are permitted only in respect of date, time, class of service and (subject to Clause 16.2.) route. Such changes may only be made by the Member or an individual nominated in accordance with Clause 3.13. If more than one Avios and Money price option is available for a British Airways flight, it is not possible to change the price option chosen by a Member after a booking has been made. All permitted changes are subject to capacity limitations and may not be made after the time 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure of the first flight in the Reward travel itinerary. A fee as specified on ba.com may be payable for each permitted change. For the avoidance of doubt, name changes are not permitted.

16.2. The route applicable to an Reward travel booking may be changed provided that the new route selected would, as at the date the change is requested, require the redemption of the same amount of Avios Points as was redeemed in making the original booking. Route changes are only permitted for Reward travel bookings which (other than for the payment of taxes, fees and charges) are purchased using Avios Points only.

16.3. If you make a Non-Flight Reward booking a per product fee as specified on ba.com will be charged in addition to any fees levied by the Partner for each change made. Changes are not permitted inside 72 hours of travelling.

nux Aug 22, 2014 2:53 am

Although the T&C's do not allow changes to be made from 24hrs before the outbound, in practice it can be done as long as it is 24hrs before the flight being changed. I think you can also change the airport as long as it is within the same band. So you could change the BCN-LON to MAD-LON, but not PAR-LON.

corporate-wage-slave Aug 22, 2014 3:05 am

Correct: the T&Cs say one thing, custom and practice is another. So long as you have more than 24 hours before your flight, you can make changes to the return after flying the outbound. It's worth knowing this even if you end up not flying back at all on BA but return via a different route or redemption: you can push the return date into later in the year, buy some singles and creatively end up with 2 return flights rather than losing anything.

I'll just repeat something that's often mentioned in this board: for RFS flights in particular, and redemptions in general, you are generally better off booking 2 singles rather than returns, if there is no risk of cancellation (due to 2 lots of change fees, but that may still be OK). This allows you more flexibility, particularly making changes online, than a return ticket and costs exactly the same. The big except is fights to US and Canada where 2 single redemptions are more expensive than a return.

Also Gold Priority Rewards can apparently be amended without fee.

jerry a. laska Aug 22, 2014 9:41 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE (Post 23404650)
I have tried looking in Search but am clearly not asking the question properly

If a Gold card holder had an Avios itinerary (Spain) that had already had the outward flight used - could he/she change this (assuming availability) return flight for another date?

What would be the charge? Would it be better to cancel or would the Avios be lost?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Change fee was noted by red palmetto. It is better to change. Cancellation would result in loss of the avios for a return booking where the outbound has been flown. And as noted by nux, you can even change airports after outbound of a return booking has been flown but only to another point within the same distance redemption band.
See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...os-ticket.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...s-flights.html

FrancisA Aug 22, 2014 10:00 am

Originally Posted by redpalmetto (Post 23404661)

Don't forget change fee for golds only applies to bookings made after 31st March 2014. Older bookings can still be changed for free.

PUCCI GALORE Aug 23, 2014 2:30 am

So many thanks to you all!! I'll let you know how we get on.

Frequentflyer99 Jun 3, 2017 4:45 am

Bumping an old thread, but wanted to check on current practice. I was recently told there would be no Avios refund for a return cancelled after the outbound was flown. Is the return leg changeable, although not cancellable ?

Anonba Jun 3, 2017 10:24 am

The return once outbound is flown is changeable still but if you cancel the avios is not recredited. You would get taxes refunded though.

BA6501 Jun 3, 2017 2:19 pm

And if you change it to something cheaper Avios-wise, they're not refunded.

kaka Apr 9, 2018 1:15 am

Originally Posted by shorthauldad (Post 23404712)
Take a look at

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...and-conditions

section 16:

16. Changes to Rewards
16.1. Changes to bookings for Reward travel on flights operated by British Airways or Airline Partners are permitted only in respect of date, time, class of service and (subject to Clause 16.2.) route. Such changes may only be made by the Member or an individual nominated in accordance with Clause 3.13. If more than one Avios and Money price option is available for a British Airways flight, it is not possible to change the price option chosen by a Member after a booking has been made. All permitted changes are subject to capacity limitations and may not be made after the time 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure of the first flight in the Reward travel itinerary. A fee as specified on ba.com may be payable for each permitted change. For the avoidance of doubt, name changes are not permitted.

16.2. The route applicable to an Reward travel booking may be changed provided that the new route selected would, as at the date the change is requested, require the redemption of the same amount of Avios Points as was redeemed in making the original booking. Route changes are only permitted for Reward travel bookings which (other than for the payment of taxes, fees and charges) are purchased using Avios Points only.

16.3. If you make a Non-Flight Reward booking a per product fee as specified on ba.com will be charged in addition to any fees levied by the Partner for each change made. Changes are not permitted inside 72 hours of travelling.

I literally just found out about this, being a few years late after using avios in HKG for... maybe 8 years? So just for the record...

the "new" TnC that no longer talk about changing flights only before first flight. (to reflect the actual situation on changing award pre-TnC-change, i suppose)

Originally Posted by BAEC terms and conditions from 1 Mar 2018
16.1. Changes to bookings for Reward travel on flights operated by British Airways or Airline Partners are permitted only in respect of date, time, class of service and route subject to this Clause 16). Such changes may only be made by the Member or an individual nominated in accordance with Clause 3.13.
16.2. The route or date applicable to a Reward booking may be changed provided that the new route or date selected would, as at the date the change is requested, require the redemption of the same amount of Avios points as was redeemed in making the original booking. Route changes are only permitted for Reward bookings which are purchased using Avios points only (other than for the payment of taxes, fees and charges).
16.3. If more than one Avios and Money price option is available for a British Airways flight, it is not possible to change the price option or class of service chosen by a Member after a booking has been made.
16.4. All permitted changes are subject to capacity limitations and must be made a minimum of 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure of the flight being changed.
16.5. A fee as specified on Ba.com may be payable for each permitted change. Name changes are not permitted.
16.6. If you make a Non-Flight Reward booking amendments to your booking will be treated as cancel and re-book (subject to availability and applicable charges) as set out in the Conditions of Use under Spending Avios on Hotel, Car Rental and Experiences.