Search

Hands off the XO Rum in First!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Hands off the XO Rum in First!

I'm led to believe that the delicious Zacapa XO is going from First in future once the current stocks have gone A real shame IMHO. This has been my preferred after-dinner tipple since its introduction, replacing the JW Blue for me. It's cheaper than JW Blue by a long way too so you'd think BA would appreciate that

Apparently due to low demand despite my best efforts to attack it every time. Am I the only one sad to see it go, then?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:17 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
I love the Zacapa 23. Perhaps they could replace with that?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:20 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
LOVE the XO, sad to hear its going. I was also the only one imbibing on recent flights. Had a long chat to the crew about its background and how to enjoy it best. Sadly no cigars allowed on flights......
Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I presume it is going to be retained in CCR in T5, where it is available off the cocktail menu.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
What? That would be really bad. I have no interest at all in the JW Blue (find it totaly uninteresting) and BA's Cognac is not that great. Keep the rum!
Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
For those of you really interested in rum, you would want Diplomatico from Venezuela. I like it with an Upmann 46 Magnum.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by LondonElite
For those of you really interested in rum, you would want Diplomatico from Venezuela. I like it with an Upmann 46 Magnum.
Not a smoker myself, but love Diplomatico, and talking of it, a few years ago, the guys from the Whisky shop at vinopolis had managed to put their hand on a cask of very old Pampero which they sold you by the 1/2 litre or litre if you brought your own bottle. An absolute delight.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 5:38 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
Oh for goodness sake G BOAC if it is that unpopular the remaining stock will last years. However, the martini mix is also being enhanced and that should be causing rioting in the streets. [In case my posts are being monitored this is not intended in any way to incite a riot and I am not suggesting or encouraging anybody to participate in civil unrest of any form whatsoever.]

The writing is on the wall though - look how J went from the SK intra-Europe fleet. Soon all alcohol will be a distant memory. There is an immediate solution to hand though. For instance on European flights I top up a vacuum flask with LP GS in the Lounge. You have to be a little careful with pressure and altitude so leave some expansion room. You could do the same with your XO or even JW Blue - not in the same flask mind.

Given the importance that BA places on your well being in the air, I wonder if this is actually a positive step in the right direction for you? I only read this week about Her Majesty's Government issuing advice that we should not be drinking on a daily basis. By phasing out the rum in this way it is similar to the way we use methadone to help those wean those from a heroin addiction.

Knowing BA as well as we do we obviously realise that this is not a cost saving exercise and that these items will be replaced with other choices. I think Highland Spring is not quite as good as it was and should the Scots choose independence then I am hoping Malvern water will replace it. Liz II drinks it you know. Still I am sure you would agree that widening the selection of water aboard would be welcome?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 6:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by VC10 Boy
I think Highland Spring is not quite as good as it was and should the Scots choose independence then I am hoping Malvern water will replace it. Liz II drinks it you know. Still I am sure you would agree that widening the selection of water aboard would be welcome?
Are you still able to get hold of Malvern? I thought it was discontinued years ago.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 6:05 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Diplomatico is nice, but it's a bit on the sweet side for my taste. BA does increasingly seem to be going for high street brands over anything more interesting, which is a shame as some of the Caribbean destinations do great boutique rums.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 6:15 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
Originally Posted by Gomac
Are you still able to get hold of Malvern? I thought it was discontinued years ago.
Mike and Rhys Humm restarted the bottling works at the Holywell Spring in 2009 as an Agincourt Salute to Coca-Cola: we didn’t feel they were doing the best possible service to the Queen’s favourite water, so set about bottling it in a fashion which befits the quality and history which surrounds Malvern Water.

http://holywellmalvernspringwater.co.uk/products/
Old Aug 14, 2014, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
It's cheaper than JW Blue by a long way too so you'd think BA would appreciate that
I reckon that the JW Blue is given to BA either for an extremely competitive price or even for free as a marketing initiative by Johnny Walker. I find it hard to imagine that BA would consider diverting large portions of the catering budget to JW Blue when the money could probably be better spent elsewhere.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
... I find it hard to imagine that BA would consider diverting large portions of the catering budget to JW Blue when the money could probably be better spent elsewhere.
Like funding management bonuses and share options rather than serving passengers?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:46 am

Martini is going to be taken away as well from club, more and more spirits gone from the plane...where is the fun now?

I hope they will replace them with something else
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
I'm led to believe that the delicious Zacapa XO is going from First in future once the current stocks have gone A real shame IMHO. This has been my preferred after-dinner tipple since its introduction, replacing the JW Blue for me. It's cheaper than JW Blue by a long way too so you'd think BA would appreciate that

Apparently due to low demand despite my best efforts to attack it every time. Am I the only one sad to see it go, then?
The message we have says Xacapa XO rum, I guess this is the same but as I don't work in First I have no idea which spelling is correct.
I guess you haven't been flying enough G-BOAC as it is being removed due to low demand which in BA talk means it must have been too popular.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.