Never getting POUG

Old Aug 13, 14, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GCH, CXMP Gold, Amex Plat, HH Gold, Accor Plat, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold
Never getting POUG

I've asked BAEC and they're really not sure why, so I was wondering if anyone on here had any ideas!

Basically, I have never had a POUG offered to me at any time. This even includes flights with colleagues where we were booked on the same booking on the same flight and they were given POUG and I wasn't. Any ideas?
Old Aug 13, 14, 6:56 am

No idea, but if it makes you feel any better, I saw my first ever long haul POUG a month or two ago - that's after probably hundreds of long haul sectors.

Reading here it seems like some folk see them very often. I'm in the 'occasional' camp for short haul and 'unicorn' territory for long haul.
Old Aug 13, 14, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC Solid Gold Dancer
Do they fly that route more often?

I fly LHR-NYC every three months or so, and it's often offered to me (WT to WT+ or WT+ to CW). I've also have my one and only op up (WT+ to CW) on that route.

I was told it's because BA want to keep me coming back on that route.
Old Aug 13, 14, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Gold for life, (GGL/CCR for now), A3 Gold, FB Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Gold
Never getting POUG

No idea either, but I'd be very interested if someone had some light to shed on the dark inner workings of POUG.

My wife and I recently booked LHR-BGO in ET on two separate one way tickets, both booked at the same time. I was offered a POUG from 48 hrs after booking, but the offer was never made for her booking. I'm someone who almost always takes a POUG if it's offered, my wife never does anyway, so perhaps that's something to do with it?
Old Aug 13, 14, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Are your flights booked via a travel agent?

I've flown to Munich at least 12 times now and I've only had it offered once. I think that it makes a difference if the flight has been booked in India or in the UK. That's my theory.
Old Aug 13, 14, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GCH, CXMP Gold, Amex Plat, HH Gold, Accor Plat, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by matthandy View Post
Are your flights booked via a travel agent?

I've flown to Munich at least 12 times now and I've only had it offered once. I think that it makes a difference if the flight has been booked in India or in the UK. That's my theory.
Good point, they are booked by a travel agent, although so are my colleagues.

Would the theory that my colleagues have never flown in a premium cabin and BA may wish to tempt them carry any weight?
Old Aug 13, 14, 7:08 am

Programs: BA Silver, Delta Gold, United Gold, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
AFAIK, BA would only POUG if a cabin you are in is oversold and the excess actually turns up. At least that's what BA told me when I asked them a few months ago. Otherwise, what's their incentive? How they decide whom to POUG is a mystery for sure. Though I have heard that, if you have a special meal preference in your BAEC profile, you will have reduced chances of being POUG.
Old Aug 13, 14, 7:08 am

BA doesn't get control of a TA booking until shortly before the flight, so as I understand it, BA can't offer any kind of change (including POUG) until then.

You can see a POUG at check-in, I've only had this a couple of times though.
Old Aug 13, 14, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shorthauldad View Post
BA doesn't get control of a TA booking until shortly before the flight, so as I understand it, BA can't offer any kind of change (including POUG) until then.

But my colleague on both legs got a POUG for our BCN flight and his ticket was booked in the same way, infact I paid for it on the same booking as mine!

Saying that, I wouldn't have taken the upgrade anyway, just interested in how these things work
Old Aug 13, 14, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by stevieed View Post
But my colleague on both legs got a POUG for our BCN flight and his ticket was booked in the same way, infact I paid for it on the same booking as mine
How was it booked? BA.com or TA/OTA ?
Old Aug 13, 14, 7:13 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by techie View Post
AFAIK, BA would only POUG if a cabin you are in is oversold and the excess actually turns up. At least that's what BA told me when I asked them a few months ago. Otherwise, what's their incentive? How they decide whom to POUG is a mystery for sure. Though I have heard that, if you have a special meal preference in your BAEC profile, you will have reduced chances of being POUG.
I think you're getting confused between an op-up, and a POUG (Pro-Active Online Upgrade). You have to buy a POUG and are offered 48 hours after booking.
Old Aug 13, 14, 7:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
So long as it is point to point and booked via BA.com I've never had any trouble getting a POUG, including one for travel yesterday from SVG to LHR. They pop up quite regularly 48 hrs after booking, and if they are being constrained to prevent people saving money then I must have fallen down a logic hole.
Old Aug 13, 14, 7:52 am

Programs: BAEC
Deleted

Last edited by Nimrod1965; Jan 1, 17 at 9:21 am
Old Aug 13, 14, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by shorthauldad View Post

My LAS-LHR (where I was offered the POUG) was booked through a TA and I got offered it 3 or 4 days before departure. Mind you, when I took it up the transaction failed online (web and app) so I phoned it in and the agent did it there. Maybe that's why?
Old Aug 13, 14, 8:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
Never getting POUG

Where are flying from? POUG is only offered for point to point. If your trip originates at a regional airport you'll never see POUG. It's a sore point for us provincials. We live in hope that BA will fix it but the years keep passing. ...

Search this Thread