US Airways Availability with Avios?

Old Aug 11, 14, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

US Airways Availability with Avios?

I'd like to book LAX-SFO roundtrip on 11/29-11/30 (Flight 5416 both ways). US Airways shows availability at 12,500 miles each way, with lots of open coach seats (31 seats on one flight, 18 on the other).

When I log in to Executive Club, the 11/29 flight only shows availability in First, and there are zero flights available for 11/30.

Should I expect more seats to become available on Executive Club? Or, is this some sort of error that could be resolved by booking over the phone?
Old Aug 11, 14, 1:37 pm

I'd like to know too. Apparently I'd like to book a return flight for Toronto - Orlando. My dates are pretty flexible but all I got were all First class availability which obviously requires more miles.

Should I call them and make the booking over the phone? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 11, 14, 2:07 pm

Having the same problem as well, ba.com not showing availability that us airways and aa shows. Tried to phone tonight to ask but the line is stating half an hour wait so I gave up. Will phone in the morning.
Old Aug 11, 14, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CalAlumnus13 View Post
I'd like to book LAX-SFO roundtrip on 11/29-11/30 (Flight 5416 both ways). US Airways shows availability at 12,500 miles each way, with lots of open coach seats (31 seats on one flight, 18 on the other).

When I log in to Executive Club, the 11/29 flight only shows availability in First, and there are zero flights available for 11/30.

Should I expect more seats to become available on Executive Club? Or, is this some sort of error that could be resolved by booking over the phone?
Just because there are lots of open coach seats does not equal reward availability (or general availability for that matter). That said the flights do show as available on aa.com so you should be able to book with BAEC by calling.
Old Aug 11, 14, 2:59 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
isn't there something about a regular rule of Saver seats being needed to be available, for partner airlines such as BA to be able to book them? could it be that those seats you see might be available to the "home" members but not to partners?
Old Aug 11, 14, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by h15t0r1an View Post
isn't there something about a regular rule of Saver seats being needed to be available, for partner airlines such as BA to be able to book them? could it be that those seats you see might be available to the "home" members but not to partners?
If AA has saaver seats available then those seats should be available for booking with avios. AA has saaver seats available for OP's selected flights.
Old Aug 11, 14, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Right, right. The flights are available at Saver through US Airways and AA.

I did the math and decided just to pay cash for a similar Southwest flight on the same days. Using the SW price (which is lower than the US price) and 9,000 Avios, I would only get 1.6cpp in value anyway. Plus, the SW airports are more convenient.

If anyone does end up calling, I'd be curious to know whether they allow you to book, or if US Airways Avios awards are more restricted than awards from other programs.
Old Aug 12, 14, 6:40 am

For all those interested, I phoned BA today and clarified that just because reward flights are available on AA (Miles Saaver) or US Airways, that does not necessarily mean that they would be available to BAEC members to be able to book with Avios.

I must admit this surprises me as it just seems very odd that there is not a single bit of availability on BAEC for my date - 2nd Novemer (LAX to DEN) when on other days there are many options available. Anyway, I guess I could HUACA but that's for another time as just kept on hold for 20 mins to get through to this one!

Still hopeful that someone could clarify the reality of this!
Old Aug 12, 14, 7:14 am

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Just called BA this morning as well to book DCA-MSY which is wide-open on AA.com for economy redemptions in both directions for the dates I would like to travel. BAEC could only find seats in F on the way there and nothing on the way back. Frustrating to say the least. Will HUACA later today, but not hopeful...
Old Aug 13, 14, 10:20 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Having the same issue. On 10/24, DCA-BNA is showing several flights with coach saver (12.5k miles) availability on US.com and AA.com but BA.com is only showing Avios redemption availability in first.

Cannot get through to BA Executive Club customer service today (got an outright busy signal, phone system will not even place me in the queue) and had the same problem yesterday.

Is this the beginning of the end of Avios redemption for AA/US operated flights?
Old Aug 13, 14, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Pretty much all gone these days
Originally Posted by reidlewis View Post
Is this the beginning of the end of Avios redemption for AA/US operated flights?
I think that's overdramatizing just a tad.
Old Aug 13, 14, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Didn't realize US operated nonstops on this route.
Old Aug 14, 14, 5:42 am

I think it's phantom space on the US side - try booking a segment via AA.com (i.e., choose the routes you noted were available on USAirways.com and press continue): the website refreshes and the availability will disappear.

Last edited by picards007; Aug 14, 14 at 8:45 am Reason: Clarity.
Old Aug 15, 14, 3:03 pm

Looks like US corrected the erroneous award seat loads - segments that were available as "low" saver awards only on their website have been removed.
Old Aug 15, 14, 5:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by UA Fan View Post
Didn't realize US operated nonstops on this route.
they don't: these are codeshares operated by AA.

Search this Thread