Wiki Posts
Search

Non-Flying Pilot Watching Safety Video

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2014, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Non-Flying Pilot Watching Safety Video

I got on my LHR-EDI flight yesterday and sat in 2C. A fully-suited pilot was sitting in 2A.

He was reading the Daily Mail (his choice) but I wanted to see what he did when the safety video came on. And, as it started, he made a point of putting the paper down, watched the video, then picked the paper up again when it finished.

Is this something crew are asked/trained to do?

When I initially sat down, I did say to him "Not driving today?" He retorted "Remote control" which did make me smile
Old Aug 10, 2014, 8:38 am

I think that comes under 'setting an example'.

I do the same, even if it's on the type I am trained to fly. Details change and it's a minute out your life that could well save it one day...
Old Aug 10, 2014, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
If nothing else, it is common courtesy to the crew standing there for the demo even if their part is just the exit bit on the video. If I can manage to take out my headphones or put down my paper every time as a passenger, I bloody well hope uniformed staff do so too without being asked. But especially so flight crew who give the "I appreciate many of you are frequent flyers" spiel about it on the PA.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
We are not specifically asked to but I find that all crew always watch the video as they know how important it is.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 9:04 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I find that BA crew members (both flight and cabin crew) are really good with watching the safety video, presumably to set an example, but also possibly due to their being more aware of the benefit of watching it even though they are very familiar with it.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
When my friend worked for another airline she always made a point of watching the safety, whether in uniform or not. As others have said, it sets a good example and it's common courtesy.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: BA Gold GGL
It's interesting to hear Littlegirl say that crew are not specifically asked to watch the video.

I had a flight with a cabin crew member in full uniform recently. Like the op's experience, when the safety video started, she put down her paper and watched it too.

So, I'm even more impressed that it is something crew feel is important to do, rather than being compelled to do it.

The other thing about this situation is that it is difficult for crew in uniform to 'switch off' especially if on a flight/at the airport etc.

So, even though they were off duty the crew members in question had to be aware that they were being observed and people were passing judgements etc (eg on their newspaper choice/whether they watch the video or not).
Old Aug 10, 2014, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Speedbird876
It's interesting to hear Littlegirl say that crew are not specifically asked to watch the video.
That's why i asked. I expected that crew would feel compelled to do it, but wasn't sure if they were explicitly asked.

So, even though they were off duty the crew members in question had to be aware that they were being observed and people were passing judgements etc (eg on their newspaper choice/whether they watch the video or not).
Just imaging what the passing of judgement would have been on this board if I'd said the off duty pilot had not watched the video!
Old Aug 10, 2014, 9:30 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Paralytic
That's why i asked. I expected that crew would feel compelled to do it, but wasn't sure if they were explicitly asked.
I suppose there is no need to specifically ask them to do so when there is a request made to everyone on board to watch it anyway.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.

I had a flight with a cabin crew member in full uniform recently. Like the op's experience, when the safety video started, she put down her paper and watched it too.

So, I'm even more impressed that it is something crew feel is important to do, rather than being compelled to do it.
So, the people who are in a position to know whether or not it's important to watch the video clearly think that it's important.

In contrast, the frequent assertions here along the lines of "I've seen it so many times I don't need to watch it again" (or similar) probably usually come from people who wouldn't know which way up to hold an airways chart or a girt bar.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I always watch it as it's good to remind yourself what the customers actually sees.
Obviously we hear it all the time but cannot normally see the video.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 10:37 am

There is no instruction to watch the demo/video, but it is common courtesy and common sense.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 10:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It would be pretty rubbish PR if someone posted. YouTube video of a BA pilot reading the DM while the safety video was on.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by Paralytic
Just imaging what the passing of judgement would have been on this board if I'd said the off duty pilot had not watched the video!
... as happened on my flight to STR two days ago...
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:05 am

Or the flip side,if the off duty crew dont watch the safety video it only encourages the rest to follow suit.

If he wants to fly by remote control he should have had a long piece of string stretching from the flight deck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.