Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

CX cancels route for tickets I booked with Avios, options?

Old Aug 9, 14, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

We booked 5 tickets in business class with Avios, Sin-CMB on CX quite a while ago and now have found out that CX has cancelled that route effective prior to our travel date. I've done some quick looking and basically we are not in great shape if we dont get some help from BA. There is no business class award availability on UL nonstops (or MH connections for that matter) and paid business class on UL or SQ is now pretty steep.

Before I call BA, what are they likely to offer to help me in these circumstances?

I've had the same thing happen with other carriers on award tickets and the resolution has ranged from moving us over to revenue tickets on another carrier to helping open up award space on another carrier or routing. I'd be fine routing SIN-BKK-CMB or even SIN-KUL-CMB, what I really dont want is to just get my Avios back and be on my own to find new tickets.
Old Aug 10, 14, 2:45 am

Programs: LH Senator, AF Silver, BA Bronze
Legally, you have a binding contract of carriage with the Executive Club and there is no need to content yourself with an Avios refund if what you really want is to fly on the date and route you have chosen. My first step would be to call the Executive Club and see what they come up with.
Old Aug 10, 14, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
According to the CX forum, CX has modified its service and now routing flights differently, as well as making aircraft modifications.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...n-no-more.html

BA/ExecClub/Avios must have accommodated you on alternative flights so you still have a valid ticket. The new service has business class albeit regional business have been a variable product in this part of the world, but even PE is certainly a step up for what passes as business class within Europe on most carriers, BA included. So not sure what the issue is other than CX has decided there's no benefit to doing a SIN stop enroute, a logical conclusion if it can do a nonstop ex-HKG, its base. So this may be an inconvenience to the OP since his/her party must now fly SIN-HKG and then on to Columbo, but pretty sure the party's been protected. Under such circumstances, Avios would take seats from revenue if no award seats remained on the flights.

OP should call ASAP to determine what they've been protected with. If this entails a cabin downgrade, then negotiate a rebate of a few thousand Avios miles per ticket. And post here so we know the outcome.

Last edited by Shareholder; Aug 10, 14 at 6:20 am
Old Aug 10, 14, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ask CX/BA for SIN-HKG-CMB. It is a problem for BA. Is not a problem for you: they just need to get you to CMB. Do not over think BA's problem
From CX forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...n-no-more.html
Old Aug 10, 14, 11:06 am
Original Poster

I'll call in tomorrow and report back. I fully intend to ask for either UL J or CX via BKK (which requires 36 hrs in BKK). SIN-HKG-CMB is not a good option since we are on a YVR-HKG-SGN-SIN ticket earlier in Nov, and so will already be in Singapore. I was curious what folks thought BA would offer up, so appreciate the encouragement.
Old Aug 10, 14, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is always smart to do the research in advance. To agents, those places are just 3-letter codes.

If you propose something, you are more likely to get it than if you ask what the carrier proposes to do. Rarely, if ever, will the carrier's proposal be what you really want. And, then you are fighting a rearguard action.

BA need not acommodate your whim, but if what you want is doable, there is no reason you won't have it.
Old Aug 10, 14, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
I can think of plenty worse than 36 hours in Bangkok. Just ask Murray Head!
Old Oct 10, 14, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

I finally called on this since our trip is coming up soon.

I asked for UL J and was shot down by two different people. To add insult to injury, they are going to do a rebooking on UL economy and charge me the $125 per person "fees" that UL imposes. Holy terrible deal, the flights are around $250 on UL.com, so the idea of paying 10k avios PLUS $125 for that seat is a non-starter.

Frustrated to see in the CX forum that CX is at least protecting people in same cabin on either SQ or UL. I am totally underwhelmed by BA here, think I'm going to have to either try again and if no luck take a refund and just pay cash.
Old Oct 10, 14, 3:40 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
BA, as an agent in this instance, has to follow the commercial policy of CX for flight cancellations. Nothing BA can do above what CX permits it to. A full refund is of course an option but if CX does not allow re-booking passengers onto other airlines' services then BA can't offer you that. I'd be really surprised if CX allowed re-booking onto other carriers as usually in such instances airlines allow re-booking onto their own services or those of their partners.
Old Oct 10, 14, 3:48 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
I don't agree with advice you were given above. Your contract was with CX, with BA only being your agent in the process. CX have changed the schedule, it is up to them to re-accommodate you. BA will not take the financial hit of rebooking you in UL J if there is no award space, just like a travel agent wouldn't.

Where you are justifiably frustrated is that as your agent BA need to change your ticket so they need to liaise with CX to have you re-accommodated. I have had no trouble with a similar situation booked through AA who put your request though "industry liaison" but BA don't seem to care or know the process. It might be worth calling CX: if they acknowledge they will re-accommodate you via HKG but BA need to liaise, that may help your discussion with BA.
Old Oct 23, 14, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

I've now talked with BA ad nauseum about this and they really aren't being helpful at all. They wouldn't even agree to call CX and ask whether CX could do anything.

Ultimately, I asked CX while I was on the phone with them regarding some other tickets with them. They said their position was they would protect anyone on a revenue ticket by moving them to the UL flight, but only revenue tickets. I think that's pretty lame, but then again I live in the US where the customer is king and we tend to have a much more expansive view of consumer rights than elsewhere (witness how it is virtually impossible for an airline to cancel even a $1 mistake fare that touches the US).

I guess I am left to just refund the cancelled CX tickets and use those Avios later. At least we are only talking about a $225x5 pax on UL. but having to deal with an economy flight of 3 hours 50 minutes. The biggest buzz kill is that it's in the middle of a trip where we're flying cushy F or J on all the other segments.
Old Oct 23, 14, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by stephem View Post
I guess I am left to just refund the cancelled CX tickets and use those Avios later. At least we are only talking about a $225x5 pax on UL. but having to deal with an economy flight of 3 hours 50 minutes. The biggest buzz kill is that it's in the middle of a trip where we're flying cushy F or J on all the other segments.
UL does a bid for upgrade system, and by all accounts - anecdotal evidence suggests you don't have to go to the high end of the scale to actually win them.

MH does a similar upgrade system too if you don't mind going SIN-KUL-CMB - maybe that's an option you can consider.
Old Oct 23, 14, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the insight, I'd seen some reference to that. Nobody in our party wants to connect, so we'll slum in Y class and maybe give the upgrade lottery a chance.
After a week in a villa on the beach in Sri Lanka and our EY F suites home through AUH, I think we'll hardly remember having to do Y class on this segment ;-)

Originally Posted by TGflyergirl View Post
UL does a bid for upgrade system, and by all accounts - anecdotal evidence suggests you don't have to go to the high end of the scale to actually win them.

MH does a similar upgrade system too if you don't mind going SIN-KUL-CMB - maybe that's an option you can consider.
Old Oct 23, 14, 8:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Le Club Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
I had the same problem as the OP, Booked in J on CX. I had a long set of arguements with BA on this but didn't manage to get anywhere despite talking to several different agents. I ended up rebooking on SQ on my own miles.
Old Oct 24, 14, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
This does seem pretty shocking.

Given UL is a One World partner and all that, you would have thought there would be a more joined-up approach to this.

And the BA have the audacity to charge for the re-ticketing, too!!!

(Now getting slightly wary about some partner awards I've booked for next summer...)

Search this Thread