Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Back-to-back turnaround BRU cannot check-in online, help!

Old Aug 8, 14, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

I decided to bite the bullet and try a back-to-back turnaround at BRU tomorrow:

BA388 LHR-BRU @ 0640 arriving 0850

then back on the plane for

BA391 BRU-LHR @ 0945

To start my BRU-LHR-JFK-SFO.

From what I have read back-to-back turnaround is fine at BRU so long as you have checked in online.

Since I receive this message:
"Sorry, we are unable to offer you Online Check-in for this flight at present.
To check in and receive your boarding pass, please try again later or proceed to the airport."

I am getting quite worried, what are my options?
Old Aug 8, 14, 4:26 am

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
So I got this today as well. Although I am heading from MAN to LHR first. Best thing to do is firstly ring BAEC and get them to confirm all is well with your bookings. Then get to the airport early (allowing yourself time to sort any issues out) and ask the check-in agent to book you in for the return journey as well.
Old Aug 8, 14, 4:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk Locala

Welcome to Flyertalk Locala, welcome to the BA board, it's good to see you here and I hope your trip to San Francisco is a good one. Please continue to post here since we like to see new faces join us.

Firstly, it may just be a temporary glitch which will clear in an hour or two.

Secondly, check your ESTA status, API details and that in particular the passport in API and ESTA are one and the same.

Thirdly, check whether you have an e-ticket issued.

Fourthly, untick the US sectors, and try to check in just for BRU to LHR.

If all else fails it may be a simple passport compliance issue, or they want to do an additional search on you before getting on the flight to the US. Get to LHR an extra 20 minutes early and see if they can sort it out before you leave for BRU.

No need to worry or panic at this stage. Welcome once again to Flyertalk.
Old Aug 8, 14, 4:33 am

Don't worry they will be able to check you in for BA391 when you check in at LHR for BA388. Won't be a problem.

When doing day trips in the past (most recently LHR-AMS/AMS-LHR) the agent has checked me in and given me boarding passes for both flights that day when I checked in at LHR.

No problemo!
Old Aug 8, 14, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks all!

Panic has now subsided, will be getting to the Airport extra early due to Central London traffic restrictions, so I should have enough time to have everything sorted out there.
Old Aug 8, 14, 5:03 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Good luck tomorrow. I did the back to back in BRU the other day and the most stressful part was what to say to the FAs when you got back on board!
Old Aug 8, 14, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
Good luck tomorrow. I did the back to back in BRU the other day and the most stressful part was what to say to the FAs when you got back on board!
Yes I agree - you do get a few odd looks don't you!
Old Aug 8, 14, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
I did the back to back in BRU the other day and the most stressful part was what to say to the FAs when you got back on board!
Why wait until you get back on board? I've always made a point of saying at disembarkation (at the latest) that I will be coming back to London with them and will see them again in a few minutes.

This does a couple of things, to my mind.

It takes away the element of surprise when you re-appear at the door (or avoids the potential embarrassment of them failing to recognise you when you re-appear). This is kind to them.

Also, they then know to expect you to be back on board, rather than it simply being some faceless unknown name that the gate agent has communicated to them. If something unexpectedly goes wrong in the terminal, this might conceivably persuade the crew to do a little bit more to wait for you.
Old Aug 8, 14, 7:48 am

Programs: AA EXP
When doing an EU turnaround like the OP is doing. does BA have total IRROP responsibility, in this case to get you to JFK/SFO (as the LHR-BRU sector is a different ticket than the BRU-LHR sector)
Old Aug 8, 14, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by seaskybound View Post
When doing an EU turnaround like the OP is doing. does BA have total IRROP responsibility, in this case to get you to JFK/SFO (as the LHR-BRU sector is a different ticket than the BRU-LHR sector)
No. If you miss the BRU-LHR because you're late, then contractually BA is entitled to treat you as having no-showed for it even if the reason that you're late is that the LHR-BRU was late.

However, if the aircraft operating your BRU-LHR is the same aircraft that's operating your LHR-BRU, then you're unlikely to miss the BRU-LHR even if the LHR-BRU is late. Further, if your LHR-BRU is cancelled, then the BRU-LHR that you're booked on will usually also be cancelled - so BA would be likely to help you out at LHR. These are some of the advantages of coming straight back on the same aircraft.
Old Aug 8, 14, 7:54 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
As globaliser said - chat with the crew re you seeing them in a few mins. At the least the crew know you are quite mad, and will offer you pencils and white pants for your head. Wibble!
Old Aug 8, 14, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by seaskybound View Post
If the two segments are on different tickets then BA have no responsibility if something goes wrong. However the logic goes that if you are on the plane that is supposed to be heading back and you have checked in online, then in theory, you shouldn't get in to a mess.

The one situation where this doesn't hold true is if BA decide to use a different plane because the outward plane is delayed.
Old Aug 8, 14, 8:10 am

I have seen this a few times and each time it was due to extra information in the booking that causes OLCI to fail which the service centre deleted. There is now a note on my file so that BAEC staff can solve it quickly if it reoccurs.
Old Aug 8, 14, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by billinghamn View Post
The one situation where this doesn't hold true is if BA decide to use a different plane because the outward plane is delayed.
This is my biggest nightmare right now!

I was finally able to OLCI, just as corporate-wage-slave mentioned, it was most likely a temporary glitch.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Firstly, it may just be a temporary glitch which will clear in an hour or two.
Fingers crossed nothing will go wrong...

Search this Thread