BA's longest non-stop route?

Old Aug 8, 14, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
BA's longest non-stop route?

Hi all

I've just booked a trip in CW from LHR to Buenos Aires and I was suprised to see that the flight times are 13hrs 40 minutes and 13hrs 20 minutes outbound and inbound respectively. This is longer than my previous flights to SIN and HKG?

Is this the longest route on the network? If not what are the longest non-stop routes?
Old Aug 8, 14, 4:25 am
DS7

Programs: BA (shiny); VS (amoeba); Others (plankton)
Yes, I believe it is the longest sector..
Old Aug 8, 14, 4:56 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Tried what I thought might be longer, but with no avail so yes reckon this is the longest non stop sector, if someone comes up with something else would gladly like to know
Old Aug 8, 14, 4:58 am

I think some SIN-LHR flights have knocked on 14 hours for me, with bad weather. Endless, but easy enough to transition of you can stay up a bit.

Watch 3-4 films and still have enough time for a decent sleep, before a 5am arrival!
Old Aug 8, 14, 5:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
DELETED
Old Aug 8, 14, 5:16 am

Programs: ABBA
Longest Sector, but as others have alluded BA15/16 LHR-SYD is a longer flight, just not non-stop.

11,111km, London-Heathrow to Buenos Aires-Ezeiza

There are a lot longer flights from non-BA carriers, with QF flying Sydney to Dallas in 15h25 on a 747 (moving to A380 next month).
Old Aug 8, 14, 5:24 am
Original Poster

I flew SYD-SIN-LHR a few years ago in WT, didn't sleep a wink and arrived back in blighty a zombie!

I didn't realise a fully loaded 747 was capable of flying non-stop for 15hr25!
Old Aug 8, 14, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Bobbie2013 View Post
How do we know it's fully loaded? I wouldn't be surprised if it's a route with routine payload restrictions, just like when 742s started doing (what were then) ultra long-hauls like HKG-YVR and HKG-LHR.
Old Aug 8, 14, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
How do we know it's fully loaded? I wouldn't be surprised if it's a route with routine payload restrictions, just like when 742s started doing (what were then) ultra long-hauls like HKG-YVR and HKG-LHR.
I simply meant a 747 with a full offering 3-4 class etc. Crikey, why are some FT'ers so aggressive when responding to perfectly innocuous comments.
Old Aug 8, 14, 5:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, Delta Gold, United Gold, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
In discussions of what is the longest flight by X airline (or in the world), it is worth being specific about criteria used: longest duration or longest by distance? For the former, it's Delta's JNB > ATL and for the latter it is Qantas SYD to DFW. So longest can potentially have a multitude of meanings.
Old Aug 8, 14, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by techie View Post
In discussions of what is the longest flight by X airline (or in the world), it is worth being specific about criteria used: longest duration or longest by distance? For the former, it's Delta's JNB > ATL and for the latter it is Qantas SYD to DFW. So longest can potentially have a multitude of meanings.
Thanks techie. Seeing as I referenced the duration as opposed to the length in my original post, I thought it was quite clear, but point taken
Old Aug 8, 14, 6:10 am

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
By distance EZE is the furthest, you can see here: http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=LHR-SIN...E&MS=wls&DU=mi

LHR - SIN 6765 mi
LHR - HKG 5994 mi
LHR - EZE 6904 mi
Old Aug 8, 14, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I simply meant a 747 with a full offering 3-4 class etc.
A 747-400 is capable of flying non-stop for at least 20 hours, 9 minutes and 5 seconds, which is how long it once took to fly one non-stop from London Heathrow to Sydney. But that wasn't fully loaded, either - except for fuel.
Old Aug 8, 14, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by techie View Post
Indeed, although there used to be longer nonstops like SIN-EWR before. Conversely, TK has apparently planned a non-stop IST-SYD to be introduced in the next few years as aircrafts with very long range are delivered.

Last edited by orbitmic; Aug 8, 14 at 7:47 pm
Old Aug 8, 14, 6:47 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by dj_jay_smith View Post
By distance EZE is the furthest, you can see here: http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=LHR-SIN...E&MS=wls&DU=mi

LHR - SIN 6765 mi
LHR - HKG 5994 mi
LHR - EZE 6904 mi
Interesting, and I would bet, as alluded to by a previous poster, that some SIN-LHR sectors take longer to fly than any of the LHR-EZE-LHR sectors because of the winds- I am sure I've been on a SIN-LHR flight that pushed the 14 hour mark.

Search this Thread