FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA's longest non-stop route? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1601229-bas-longest-non-stop-route.html)

Bobbie2013 Aug 8, 2014 3:10 am

BA's longest non-stop route?

Hi all

I've just booked a trip in CW from LHR to Buenos Aires and I was suprised to see that the flight times are 13hrs 40 minutes and 13hrs 20 minutes outbound and inbound respectively. This is longer than my previous flights to SIN and HKG?

Is this the longest route on the network? If not what are the longest non-stop routes?

DS7 Aug 8, 2014 3:25 am

Yes, I believe it is the longest sector..

BA5E Aug 8, 2014 3:56 am

Tried what I thought might be longer, but with no avail so yes reckon this is the longest non stop sector, if someone comes up with something else would gladly like to know^:D

cazoz Aug 8, 2014 3:58 am

I think some SIN-LHR flights have knocked on 14 hours for me, with bad weather. Endless, but easy enough to transition of you can stay up a bit.

Watch 3-4 films and still have enough time for a decent sleep, before a 5am arrival!

Gomac Aug 8, 2014 4:04 am

DELETED

paulwuk Aug 8, 2014 4:16 am

Longest Sector, but as others have alluded BA15/16 LHR-SYD is a longer flight, just not non-stop.

11,111km, London-Heathrow to Buenos Aires-Ezeiza

There are a lot longer flights from non-BA carriers, with QF flying Sydney to Dallas in 15h25 on a 747 (moving to A380 next month).

Bobbie2013 Aug 8, 2014 4:24 am

I flew SYD-SIN-LHR a few years ago in WT, didn't sleep a wink and arrived back in blighty a zombie!

I didn't realise a fully loaded 747 was capable of flying non-stop for 15hr25!

Globaliser Aug 8, 2014 4:31 am

Originally Posted by Bobbie2013 (Post 23329972)

How do we know it's fully loaded? I wouldn't be surprised if it's a route with routine payload restrictions, just like when 742s started doing (what were then) ultra long-hauls like HKG-YVR and HKG-LHR.

Bobbie2013 Aug 8, 2014 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 23329987)
How do we know it's fully loaded? I wouldn't be surprised if it's a route with routine payload restrictions, just like when 742s started doing (what were then) ultra long-hauls like HKG-YVR and HKG-LHR.

I simply meant a 747 with a full offering 3-4 class etc. Crikey, why are some FT'ers so aggressive when responding to perfectly innocuous comments.

techie Aug 8, 2014 4:55 am

In discussions of what is the longest flight by X airline (or in the world), it is worth being specific about criteria used: longest duration or longest by distance? For the former, it's Delta's JNB > ATL and for the latter it is Qantas SYD to DFW. So longest can potentially have a multitude of meanings.

Bobbie2013 Aug 8, 2014 4:58 am

Originally Posted by techie (Post 23330038)
In discussions of what is the longest flight by X airline (or in the world), it is worth being specific about criteria used: longest duration or longest by distance? For the former, it's Delta's JNB > ATL and for the latter it is Qantas SYD to DFW. So longest can potentially have a multitude of meanings.

Thanks techie. Seeing as I referenced the duration as opposed to the length in my original post, I thought it was quite clear, but point taken :)

dj_jay_smith Aug 8, 2014 5:10 am

By distance EZE is the furthest, you can see here: http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=LHR-SIN...E&MS=wls&DU=mi

LHR - SIN 6765 mi
LHR - HKG 5994 mi
LHR - EZE 6904 mi

Globaliser Aug 8, 2014 5:34 am

Originally Posted by Bobbie2013 (Post 23329972)

Originally Posted by Bobbie2013 (Post 23330004)
I simply meant a 747 with a full offering 3-4 class etc.

A 747-400 is capable of flying non-stop for at least 20 hours, 9 minutes and 5 seconds, which is how long it once took to fly one non-stop from London Heathrow to Sydney. But that wasn't fully loaded, either - except for fuel.

orbitmic Aug 8, 2014 5:40 am

Originally Posted by techie (Post 23330038)

Indeed, although there used to be longer nonstops like SIN-EWR before. Conversely, TK has apparently planned a non-stop IST-SYD to be introduced in the next few years as aircrafts with very long range are delivered.

South London Bon Viveur Aug 8, 2014 5:47 am

Originally Posted by dj_jay_smith (Post 23330071)
By distance EZE is the furthest, you can see here: http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=LHR-SIN...E&MS=wls&DU=mi

LHR - SIN 6765 mi
LHR - HKG 5994 mi
LHR - EZE 6904 mi

Interesting, and I would bet, as alluded to by a previous poster, that some SIN-LHR sectors take longer to fly than any of the LHR-EZE-LHR sectors because of the winds- I am sure I've been on a SIN-LHR flight that pushed the 14 hour mark.