Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thistle London T5 - By POD for £5 PP

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA, A3, Hilton, IHG
Originally Posted by Wong Jnr
T5 you can definately get to be foot. I've done it several times.
Only issue is the short "bus only access bridge" where you need to walk along the cycle lane as there is no footpath.
I did this when I missed the 423 bus from the thistle / premier inn and it was quicker to walk than to wait for the next bus (0430 one Saturday morning). I walked past a long line of taxis waiting with their drivers either asleep on the back seat or "using the facilities" up a small mound. Had to walk into the Terminal via the bus lanes where the pavement ran out but luckily the roads were quiet enough
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
If I am reading this correctly you don't get charged to get buzzed in as such just once you approach reception they charge. I am leaving bags then flying on a back to back then staying the night so in this instance I may just get charged the once when I actually check in by the sounds of it?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:49 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
If I am reading this correctly you don't get charged to get buzzed in as such just once you approach reception they charge. I am leaving bags then flying on a back to back then staying the night so in this instance I may just get charged the once when I actually check in by the sounds of it?
Yes, you get charged once you get to reception. However if you are using the pods several to go back and get your bag I don't know whether they will charge you again - my understanding is that they get charged by HAL so pass this on. Worth checking when you check in.

If you are going to T5 you can avoid the issue by using the 423. It is only 2 stops on the bus, and it is free.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 3:29 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You get buzzed into the Thistle complex, and that gets billed to your account, but if you pay to return to T5, you get given a card with the gate code number on it - probably rather necessary if arranged the night before in terms of logistics and the frailty of human data retention. So if you check-in (via whatever route) and ask for a Pod back to T5 to be charged to your room, you should get a small card with the number on it. They do change the number quite a bit, but not daily. The gate number works on both sides.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 1:52 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Can you still just walking past the parking barrier and turn right and walk down to the pod station ?
Old Nov 10, 2019, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by When I Travel The World
Can you still just walking past the parking barrier and turn right and walk down to the pod station ?
Bumping this topic again, I'm planning on staying at Thistle after coming off a BA flight, and am intrigued by the idea of the pods. Is there a way to access the pod system for free without using the paid-gate, or is this not allowed (possibly by walking via the carpark as indicated above)? At 5 pounds per person each way (all up, equivalent of 40 AUD for 2 people return!) the novelty unfortunately does not outweigh the cost of using the free bus instead.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
As it was pointed out to me, it's now the same price as the Hoppa service and put like that it seems like very good value
And the fact it doesn't quite go to the the hotel, more to the side of a carpark at the back of it, lol
Old Nov 10, 2019, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Bumping this topic again, I'm planning on staying at Thistle after coming off a BA flight, and am intrigued by the idea of the pods. Is there a way to access the pod system for free without using the paid-gate, or is this not allowed (possibly by walking via the carpark as indicated above)? At 5 pounds per person each way (all up, equivalent of 40 AUD for 2 people return!) the novelty unfortunately does not outweigh the cost of using the free bus instead.
It is (rather obviously) not allowed. Why would they allow getting for free what they ask you to pay for? To my knowledge, there is no way of cheating though if one was not honest, they could presumably tail gate someone who did the right thing and paid for the code, but it would definitely be unfair on people who paid and I wouldn't ever consider it myself. The Thistle can be very cheap and personally, if I stay there, I simply consider the pod cost as part of the room rate.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 10:01 am

Thanks for the reply. Of course I know that unscrupulous methods exist but I was more wondering if there were less convenient but still legitimate ways of accessing the pods if we do not use the paid Thistle gate (hence why I mentioned exiting via the main carpark exit and walking around, possibly). I ask as I understand the 5 pound fee is for the gate access and as far I believe the pod system itself is free. If not no problem, I will either pay the fee or take the free bus, depending on how knackered I feel.

Heard very mixed things on Thistle and if it wasn't for the convenience to T5, would have definitely picked the Moxy instead.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Heard very mixed things on Thistle and if it wasn't for the convenience to T5, would have definitely picked the Moxy instead.
I'd fully agree with that - it is not a great hotel by any standard. The main point is really about it being the second most convenient to T5 after the (much better) Sofitel for a (much lower) price...
Old Nov 10, 2019, 10:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I know both hotels, I did the review of the Moxy on the Marriott forum. The Moxy is modern but takes a certain strength of character to stay there. The Thistle is like a worn pair of slippers: unexciting but surprisingly comfortable and does the job. If they are the same price then the Thistle is better, if you are also using T5 in-and-out, it is a no-brainer, it saves about an hour all told. If you are using T5 then the free 423 bus only takes a few minutes, or you could walk the whole way, it's just over a mile.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I'd fully agree with that - it is not a great hotel by any standard. The main point is really about it being the second most convenient to T5 after the (much better) Sofitel for a (much lower) price...
OT for this thread but I stayed at the Sofitel recently and was not impressed. At all. Even with an upgraded room. Other than the absolute ease of getting to T5, it is not worth the extra money IMO.
tuonopepper likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Thanks for the reply. Of course I know that unscrupulous methods exist but I was more wondering if there were less convenient but still legitimate ways of accessing the pods if we do not use the paid Thistle gate (hence why I mentioned exiting via the main carpark exit and walking around, possibly). I ask as I understand the 5 pound fee is for the gate access and as far I believe the pod system itself is free. If not no problem, I will either pay the fee or take the free bus, depending on how knackered I feel.

Thistle is very cheap for its location, if you're expectations are in line with that you'll be fine. If you're expiring Sofitel standards at Thistle prices it's not going to end well :-)
Old Nov 10, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
On a sample size of two I've not paid the five pounds to get in to the hotel from the Pod. When you return to T5 you only need one code, just check out as normal then return to reception to purchase the one code for cash.

Spike
Old Nov 10, 2019, 12:35 pm

I stayed at the Thistle a few days ago and when I checked in they seemed more assertive than they had been on previous occasions that I buy both the out and return Pod code. Maybe they are tightening up on the process?

I like the Thistle as it is convenient and cheap. This time I used parking there too for seven days at a cheaper cost than POD parking. There is nothing wrong with the room other than a few years use and the food is fine. The terrace gives you a nice view of the end of the runway and you can while away a few hours using FR24 to track the comings and goings. If staying overnight is part of the holiday then the Sofitel is better and dinner at the Belle Epoch gets you off to a good start.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.