Thistle London T5 - By POD for £5 PP

Old Aug 8, 2014, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Given that this is not a hotel forum or airport forum, why would you have expected it to be discussed here?
As the pods are based at T5 and every* flight that departs T5 is a BA flight then the BA forum makes sense for T5 related issues.

* even the Iberia flights are operated primarily under the BA code presumably that's to ensure ease of integration with BA systems (unlike in MAD, BA and Iberia don't use separate desks in T5, they act as one airline).
Old Aug 8, 2014, 2:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by layz
As the pods are based at T5 and every* flight that departs T5 is a BA flight then the BA forum makes sense for T5 related issues.

* even the Iberia flights are operated primarily under the BA code presumably that's to ensure ease of integration with BA systems (unlike in MAD, BA and Iberia don't use separate desks in T5, they act as one airline).
No it doesn't. Just because it is at Heathrow does not make it anything to do with BA
Old Aug 8, 2014, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
No it doesn't. Just because it is at Heathrow does not make it anything to do with BA
It's the BA forum, we'd rather not be strict about topics in case you hadn't noticed

I like this aspect of the BA forum, makes it a lot more interesting. I can't imagine many people here reading a Thistle Hotels forum or similar but may be interested in the expansion of the pods and the potential in the future for it to be expanded.

Also due to them serving T5 it's only really of interest to BA passengers. Someone flying another airline would not see the advantage of the pods.

I honestly think the BA forum in general would be a lot less successful if we had to strictly stay on topic.

The mods do a good job in controlling things so they don't get too out of hand.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 2:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
I enjoyed a quick joyride on the pods earlier this year, great fun!
Old Aug 8, 2014, 2:28 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
I'm confused, why do we need to pay as the Pod is free? Seems a rip off!

What happens if you refuse to pay, are you stuck there? What about people vising the hotel and not staying? To avoid the charge I could just walk out of the car park and round to the hotel?
Old Aug 8, 2014, 2:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GodAtum
Because Thistle say they charge the hotel guest since they are charged by HAL for use of the pods - Thistle have said that tehy don't make anything from the charge. The pods aren't free to run, and I guess HAL's reasoning is that if there was no charge Thistle would get a free ride off HAL assets.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 2:36 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

What happens if you refuse to pay, are you stuck there? What about people vising the hotel and not staying? To avoid the charge I could just walk out of the car park and round to the hotel?
The pod isn't free. It's included in the price of the Business Parking.

I have scouted out the possibility of evading the gate but it requires a massive circuitous detour thanks to the comprehensive fencing on-site. It's possible to do it but you would need to walk on roads without pavements; not safe.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 2:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It's the BA forum, we'd rather not be strict about topics in case you hadn't noticed
You might, but that doesn't mean all would

I honestly think the BA forum in general would be a lot less successful if we had to strictly stay on topic.
I think that fora overall would be better since things would be where they should be and found easily by someone looking for them.

The mods do a good job in controlling things so they don't get too out of hand.
You might think that
Old Aug 8, 2014, 2:53 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Originally Posted by paul4040
The pod isn't free. It's included in the price of the Business Parking.
Odd, I have ridden on the pods a few times without paying for parking. I just like the experience.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Odd, I have ridden on the pods a few times without paying for parking. I just like the experience.
What he means is that HAL expects that people who are using it are parking and therefore paying to park.

As there's big fences around the car park you can't really use it for much else, except for riding it for fun.

So Thistle comes up with the idea of the gate, now there's a second legitimate reason to use the pods and therefore HAL will want cash to support this operation.

Presumably the amount of people who use it just for fun are small enough to not worry BA too much. Putting in infrastructure to charge them would probably cost more than they earn.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 3:16 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
Article about the pods: http://londonist.com/2014/09/a-ride-...iving-pods.php
Old Sep 6, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL
The pod system is great, the hotel is a steaming pile. You get to use the pod if you use that parking lot.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: ABBA
Booked the hotel in the taxi en-route to heathrow at 2355 this evening, seems fine for £60. Shame the pods are charged for though, every time I think about the "hoppa" I feel ill, and the pod charge seems to be to avoid cannibalising this immoral charge.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:26 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Booked the hotel in the taxi en-route to heathrow at 2355 this evening, seems fine for £60. Shame the pods are charged for though, every time I think about the "hoppa" I feel ill, and the pod charge seems to be to avoid cannibalising this immoral charge.
The Hoppa is a national rip off. If I can I'll use a local bus. They're cheaper (and sometimes free!), and often less crowded. Plus the Hoppa runs to some hotels, like the Doubletree, on half hourly frequencies. Mad for such a huge airport.

The pod is quirky and pleasant though - and efficient.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
Because Thistle say they charge the hotel guest since they are charged by HAL for use of the pods - Thistle have said that tehy don't make anything from the charge. The pods aren't free to run, and I guess HAL's reasoning is that if there was no charge Thistle would get a free ride off HAL assets.
But HAL pay TfL for the free bus area that connects to a lot of hotels.

Seems odd that they pay for free busses, but then charge for something else that does the same job, and they own it

Last edited by JFX1764; Sep 25, 2014 at 6:47 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.