Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Checking luggage to LHR on a GIG/LHR/AMS ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2014, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

Hi everyone,

I have a ticket from GIG to AMS but am thinking about disembarking in London, proceeding to AMS a few days later. Would the check-in agent at GIG accept to tag my luggage to LHR instead? Do I need to call BA to make any changes??

Apologies if this has been asked before.

Thank you in advance for your comments!
Old Aug 7, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Whatever you do don't call BA as they might reprice your ticket !!

Are you flying GIG-LHR-AMS and the return or is this the return flights on an ex EU ticket ?

cs
Old Aug 7, 2014, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
No, the checkin agent will not short check your bag to LHR.

You *should* enquire with BA (or whoever sold you the ticket) as to how much it would cost to change your ticket to build in this stopover. If it turns out to be expensive, then you can decide to forego the stopover.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
No, the checkin agent will not short check your bag to LHR.
That sounds pretty definitive.... is that consistently applied from GIG?

I've had problems short checking from the US in the past, but it doesn't seem like an issue coming from Asia. I don't remember reading anything about it from South America and am curious as it's a route I'll be doing soonish.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Hello all, thank you for your replies!
That's the return journey, back to AMS.
I really appreciate your comments.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, AF Gold, some hotels...
I have seen several recent threads on the topic. Search for short check bags BA. You will find people have different views on whether it is morally acceptable to play the system or not.

From my perspective your alternatives are:
1. Ask the check in agent to short check the bags. They may or may not accept depending on destination. Irishguy28 seems to have more up to date experience than me in that respect.
2. If you have a flex ticket rebook your LHR-AMS into an LCY- or LGW-AMS for the same day. This forces you to pick up your luggage at LHR but does not force you to check in at the next airport...
3. If the 2 above don't work for you, and you are not desperate for your bags at LHR, check them through to AMS but walk out at LHR and collect your bags at LHR next day.

But as cornishsimon rightly says, under no circumstances should you call BA about it.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: AC 35K
deleted
Old Aug 7, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
My experience a few months ago flying on an ex-EU return from the USA was that the BA agent would not short check the bags to LHR instead of the final destination. However on arrival in T5 the staff at the baggage desk in the baggage claims hall were very helpful and got our bags for us before they were sent to the next flight. This did take 1hr+ but we got the bags back before we left the airport.

There was a genuine reason to need to cut the trip short, being the illness of my travelling companion, and I did ask the agent in the USA to reprice the ticket to include terminating the trip in LHR. Instead it was their suggestion to try our luck at customer services in T5.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Gold77
I have seen several recent threads on the topic. Search for short check bags BA. You will find people have different views on whether it is morally acceptable to play the system or not.

1. Ask the check in agent to short check the bags. They may or may not accept depending on destination. Irishguy28 seems to have more up to date experience than me in that respect.
2. If you have a flex ticket rebook your LHR-AMS into an LCY- or LGW-AMS for the same day. This forces you to pick up your luggage at LHR but does not force you to check in at the next airport...
3. If the 2 above don't work for you, and you are not desperate for your bags at LHR, check them through to AMS but walk out at LHR and collect your bags at LHR next day.

But as cornishsimon rightly says, under no circumstances should you call BA about it.
Would you be charged if you did number 3? I've often wondered what would happen if you just "forgot" to collect your luggage and went back for it later!
Old Aug 7, 2014, 11:59 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Gold77
If you are going to pull this stunt you should at least tell someone you are not taking the onward flight otherwise there is the potential for you to delay it if they load your bag and have to unload it when you don't pass conformance/don't show at the gate. Just say you are unwell and can't travel further.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 12:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by NovemberPapa
My experience a few months ago flying on an ex-EU return from the USA was that the BA agent would not short check the bags to LHR instead of the final destination. However on arrival in T5 the staff at the baggage desk in the baggage claims hall were very helpful and got our bags for us before they were sent to the next flight. This did take 1hr+ but we got the bags back before we left the airport.

There was a genuine reason to need to cut the trip short, being the illness of my travelling companion, and I did ask the agent in the USA to reprice the ticket to include terminating the trip in LHR. Instead it was their suggestion to try our luck at customer services in T5.

Welcome to flyertalk !
Nice to have you here

cs
Old Aug 9, 2014, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for all your comments. I will need to call BA to see how it works in terms of changing the final leg LHR/AMS to leave from either LCY or LGW - that sounds rather civilized and stress free. The ticket is in Club - hopefully there will be some flexibility to make the change... or so I hope.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.