Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Live TR: MAN-LHR-BRU-LHR-JFK-MIA-SEA/SFO-LAX-JFK-LHR-BRU-LHR-MAN

Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: billinghamn
Our trip from MAN-LHR-BRU-LHR-JFK-MIA-SEA/SFO-LAX-JFK-LHR-BRU-LHR-MAN that I took with billinghamv in Aug 2014. Main aim was to visit Yellowstone National Park. Quick links to individual flights are listed below to help navigation:

Intro
08 Aug BA1407 MAN-LHR
09 Aug BA0394 LHR-BRU
09 Aug BA0397 BRU-LHR
10 Aug BA0175 LHR-JFK
10 Aug AA1451 JFK-MIA
10 Aug AA1057 MIA-SEA
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 8, 2014, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AeroWesty
Bon voyage!

(I think it’s fascinating that your trip report has already garnered 58 replies and 2,953 views, before you’ve even taken your first flight.)
Thanks AeroWesty - I see you are getting stuck into the debate about "Thinking about Trip Reports" - isn't it interesting how we feel so strongly (either way) about subjects like this?
Old Aug 8, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Originally Posted by billinghamn
Currently in the lounge at MAN having actually started our trip. The escalator up from the taxi drop off area was closed again, and the lifts look like they should be out of order! Anyway, went through fast track security and there were some very dodgy looking foreign couples - blokes that weren't very friendly and were making a nuisance of themselves with the security staff. Not particularly nice to be honest.

Got into the lounge in T3 and it was empty. No one here at all. Got a nice seat next to the window looking out on a relatively nice, but humid day. My feet are hurting already for some reason. Looks like we are on time so all is well with the domestic connection down to LHR.
Glad to hear that. ^

I'll follow your TR with much interest, have a safe flight!
Old Aug 8, 2014, 11:51 am

isn't it interesting how we feel so strongly (either way) about subjects like this?
My overall impression: If this thread was entitled something like "My experience with a tier point-earning fare" (which is what it is), there wouldn't be any discussion or controversy about its appropriateness to where it's currently situated at all.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 11:57 am
Original Poster

My overall impression: If this thread was entitled something like "My experience with a tier point-earning fare" (which is what it is), there wouldn't be any discussion or controversy about its appropriateness to where it's currently situated at all.
That's a very good point. I might just consider that the next time I start a TR thread!
Old Aug 8, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
...If this thread was entitled...
I suppose that, since we have been talking about entitled pax in the DYKWIA thread, it was only going to be a matter of time before it rubbed off on a thread
Old Aug 8, 2014, 1:16 pm

I'm loving this thread. Trip reports are the ultimate aspirational exercise from the armchair, as well as good craic.

Heck, I'm exhausted with the idea of this trip by simply reading the title of the thread!
Old Aug 8, 2014, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Great to see you're at it again...

But wasn't your next TP run exchanged for a TPA run?
Old Aug 8, 2014, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Just landed at LHR. Pretty uneventful. Will be heading off to the Hilton T5 next. Full review later on.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 1:46 pm

Currently in the lounge at MAN having actually started our trip. The escalator up from the taxi drop off area was closed again, and the lifts look like they should be out of order!
Ahh good old MAN T3, it's all worn and broken in like a good pair of shoes
Old Aug 8, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Well, that's a bit rubbish! I'm sitting in the CCR waiting on you. If I'd known you were staying in the Hilton tonight, and not flying on to Brussels, I would have caught an earlier flight. Sorry, V, looks like that Cabana is going to waste. I even had a messy cutlery drawer all set up to keep Mr B occupied :-p
Old Aug 8, 2014, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Arrived at an international gate so waiting for some steps at the rear of the aircraft and then a bus to domestic arrivals. A pilot who was on board said that it was probably due to the aircraft being required for an international flight first thing in the morning. Probably going to miss the 9:05 bus to the Hilton now, si maybe a taxi instead.

I need a beer...
Old Aug 8, 2014, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
Well, that's a bit rubbish! I'm sitting in the CCR waiting on you. If I'd known you were staying in the Hilton tonight, and not flying on to Brussels, I would have caught an earlier flight. Sorry, V, looks like that Cabana is going to waste. I even had a messy cutlery drawer all set up to keep Mr B occupied :-p
What are you like eh? Made Mrs B smile!
Old Aug 8, 2014, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

08 Aug BA1407 MAN-LHR

Equip: A321
Scheduled Depart: 19:40 Actual: 19:48
Scheduled Arrival: 20:40 Actual: 20:42
Takeoff: 20:00 Touchdown: 20:39

Last day of work - I'm lucky to be able to work from home. I always start the morning with a visit to Starbucks and today was no exception. After sitting in to have breakfast of luxury fruit toast, I took my Venti Caramel Mac home to help ease me through the early part of the morning.

I managed to check us in online for the MAN-LHR flight, but I had to wait until T-24hrs to check in for the LHR-BRU flight, and the same again for the BRU-LHR flight. I managed to complete OLCI for the last flight whilst waiting waiting for our taxi (which was later than expected ). This is billinghamv in suitable garb with luggage outside:

Traffic was pretty heavy getting to the airport, but our friendly taxi driver told us all about what she was planning to do on Sat which kept us entertained until we arrived at MAN T3 and we said our goodbyes.

The airport was fairly busy and there were a number of foreign couples with unfriendly blokes giving the security team a hard time. We chose fast track due to how busy security was, and it wasn't long before we were through and heading into the lounge.

The lounge was empty when we arrived which gave us a sense of it being prepared just for us. Not long after one or two people turned up, but at no time would you say it was being stretched.

From the MAN T3 lounge you can see the dish at Jodrell Bank – I can remember another trip report (TR) write with reference to the dish not so long ago, but I hadn't previously noticed it.

There was a decent selection of sandwiches and a very nice soup available. We hadn't had chance to get anything for dinner, so we had to at least try one or two, to keep the hunger pains at bay.

This is our A321 that took us on the short hop to LHR. I noticed that it was due to be in the air for only 29 mins, which is no time at all.

We were first on and were quickly seated in 2B and 2C. The plane was only 50% full with just 4 of us down at the front of the aircraft: the 2 of us, 1 guy in the front row in 1E and a pilot who was positioning down to LHR on the other side. We got a special welcome from the Customer Services Manager (CSM) who was a very pleasant chap.

Not a lot of leg room on this domestic hop! You've got to get in at least one legroom shot! Shows off my knees as well.

Of course we arrived at an International gate, which meant the dread steps at the rear of the aircraft and a bus to the domestic arrivals hall. Not the end of the world, but by the time we got down to London it was raining heavily, and I still had just my shorts and a t-shirt on.

We managed to catch the 21:05 Heathrow Hoppa bus to the Hilton T5. The bus was jam packed which was shared with customers heading for the Travelodge as well. Luckily it didn't take long to get us checked in, upgraded to an exec level room and settled in.

We were told about the opening hours of the executive lounge and that drinks would only be served between 6pm and 8pm. Poor showing I say, so that meant we needed to head downstairs for a nightcap.

It's a fabulous hotel - very well decorated and looks like there are some good restaurants and bars. We headed in to the River Bar:

Last edited by billinghamn; Aug 8, 2014 at 10:37 pm
Old Aug 9, 2014, 1:04 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Enjoy your latest trip, quite jealous! If you get a chance could you take a pic of the wee transfers sign at BRU if you arrive at gate 4 (that is the one you can go right back up the air bridge if you are doing a back to back, yes? I understand it is easy to miss). Where ever this tr ends up, i'll be reading! Muchos gracias for all the time spent doing this for our enjoyment! Ps is mia-sea a 737?
Old Aug 9, 2014, 1:20 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by jcm9000
Enjoy your latest trip, quite jealous!
Ditto!

Think I'll be living vicariously this weekend. Looking forward to reading the updates. Safe travelling!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.